Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Gonna get a lot of mileage out of this image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Episode 2 realization about Episode 1: Oh poo poo George thought the note Atticus got wasn't "hosed off to Ardham" but was "I'm not your real dad, George is", that's why he reacted with concern and alarm on account of Montrose being gone for a while.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Madurai posted:

It's never actually said, but strongly implied. Atticus describes them as "blobs covered with eyes," which doesn't fit their show appearance--though they do have a lot of eyes, and they do make the fluting noise described in At The Mountains of Madness
The thing I'm generally enjoying about the show is that unlike a lot of other properties with some of another property behind it, it really isn't namedropping all the big Oh I Recognize That! poo poo when it comes up. There's some nods to Lovecraft, like when they offhandedly mention Herbert West, Reanimator, but in the moment and after the moment nobody says "OH this is just like this story", the closest you get is the whole "they're like vampires!" thing. And I hope they keep doing that because one of the big things that turns me off from something borrowing from a Known Property is when they put a reference on screen and shake it in my face so I get it.

Like, two major things I noticed, the first of which I am certain of:

1: Titus Braithwhite's backstory and deeds are 1:1 the backstory of Joseph Curwen from The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Joseph Curwen in CDW was an 18th century slaveholder who tortured and sacrificed Black people as part of magic experiments, his plantation burns down and his neighbors discover the arcane mass graves, and when CDW delves into Curwen's experiments and resurrects him, Curwen steals the body of CDW (who looks just like him) in order to live again as an evil immortal wizard. The latter isn't entirely in sync but it puts its own spin on it that I enjoy.

2: the things in the woods could be spawns of Shub. They could very well be this take on shoggoths and if so yeah that's fine do something new with them, but I get Shub vibes from them. They're birthed from livestock, they have infectious transmissive properties, they prefer to remain underground and tunnel around in deep dark woods and they can also be controlled. Spawn of Shub have this wild entropic nature to their makeup and bodies, too many eyes, gribbly fangy teeth, squamous skin and weird amounts of limbs. Also, that weird thing the kids were dancing around in the cult village looks like a totem of Shub by being a mass of wood "tentacles" knitted into a humanoid form. Imagery aside, metaphorically it makes sense when you consider that Shub represents a lot of Lovecraft's fear of POC, first and foremost being the fact I keep calling her Shub and not her full name. She's positioned as this primordial black fertility deity with a ravening horde of "mindless" "infinite" black spawn that are incredibly transparently part of Lovecraft's fear of white people being a minority. The white Sons of Adam are also manipulating and controlling the monsters as part of their Biblical power-play poo poo, treating them more as beasts of burden the same way they treat Atticus, Letitia and George, as opposed to other traditional mythos monsters like Nightgaunts and Byakhee that are treated as things to make a pact with for services rendered rather than pawns to control.

Neither of these are remarked upon or confirmed in the text of the show, this is entirely me reading into what I'm presented, and I'm honestly here for that. I'm glad the show knows what it's working with and playing with without needing to call it directly by its name. The only thing it really does that for is House on the Borderland and that's entirely fair because that book is pretty obscure even in cosmic horror fandom circles what with being a 300 page book that was Lovecraft's favorite. It's not a quick and easy read.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 25, 2020