Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I'm really enjoying this. Campy/pulpy/scary/fun. I feel bad a lot while watching it, but I can't help but love the characters. I think the super scary middle (car chase) and awkwardly triumphant end (cop cabin) was great.

But I didn't come here for that. I'm really curious about scene where Atticus goes to Uncle George's shop. At the end when Uncle George says he's going to look into Atticus' dad's theories of a secret legacy, there's a woman who laughs and then says "I'm serious don't delete that". What does that mean? The time stamp is ~14:40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Yeah, uh, this loving rules. It's a fun roller coaster. It's light and character driven, and characters are really great. Criticizing the stupid things is stupid, and I'm imagining the people doing that are neckbeard losers that don't like fun.

Hostile V posted:

smart things

Thanks for this. I love that I can approach this show w/ very little deep knowledge of HPL stuff, so this poo poo is pretty cool for peering below the surface.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 25, 2020

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Yeah I can see if you were hoping for some serious poo poo you would be disappointed, but, like... I'm tired of that. I was about to cancel my HBOMax sub because it's all so heavy. I'm really glad that there's something that's fantastic and fun especially wrt something so heinous and topical like racism. I had to get myself in the mood to watch "The Plot Against America", but this one? Like, I know it's going to be heavy, but it doesn't feel that way.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

At the end of the day it's 2020 and any show about killing secret racist sexist clubs is going to get me to watch. I mean I watched The Magicians and Agents of Shield so like my standards are low

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I'm glad we accelerated to full speed in 2 episodes because now for episode 3 we get horror house x (inverted) Assault on Precinct 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oJ4jDuTtEI

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Outside of Epstein, the ghosts generally helped leti, right? Like they woke her up when he boiler was sabotaged and they killed those intruders... I'm curious what the bathroom ghost in the mirror was doing to help?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Wasn't she involved in luring him to Ardham, too?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

This thread has been coming across that way, yeah.

Tbh, Lovecraft Country is a lot more focused on the happier parts of this bullshit than I was expecting. It's triumph and grit and, yeah, some of it sucks, but they're *prepared* for it and they *execute* knowing full well the consequences. I'm talking about the characters and the showrunners both. It's amazing.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

ex post facho posted:

after ep 4, pretty clear that this is just HBO AHS.

still lolling at the completely random immersion breaking 10 second contemporary hip hop clips when they have an enormous selection of era-appropriate blues, rock and roll and gently caress it I give up

It is wild to me that you distilled a television show about subverting pulp fiction and horror tropes from the perspective of 2020 black America into "HBO AHS"

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I only watch TV where the protagonist is completely moral and only does good things.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I know that it's entirely possible Leti is supposed to have been a virgin until the bathroom scene and Tree is just lying, but I hope that's not the case. Let is clearly representative of race AND sex so Leti being in control of her sexual identity (even if it's a lie) is way more interesting than, uh, being so into the muscled hero that she gives up her lifetime of celibacy for 10 pumps in a bathroom.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I'm not a woman so I can't chime in on female power in 2020 through this lens of pulp horror, but virginity being an indicator of female value through the male gaze may in fact be a horror older than all of the old gods combined.

So

Here's hoping I'm right

Edit: as of e5 it is clear that I'm wrong.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 14, 2020

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Are we still having the "I don't like characters who are bad people so this whole show is bad" conversation?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

What makes someone irredeemable? Montrose is a lovely lovely person, but he's also the impetus for the Atticus coming to Chicago aka the whole show. I would've been really annoyed if the family adventure trust catch was "the turning point" where Montrose "finally became a good dad" because that would've just been way too easy, but yeah... I feel like the theme of redemption is going to be a key part of the next 5 episodes.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

If magic didn't exist so would have Tic

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Power Walrus posted:

This show kinda feels like it’s made by people who feel uncomfortable in horror. I don’t expect it to be scary, but I do expect it to try and holy moley the bad cg tentacles and her seeing this guys life of family and climbing mountains before he pops like a water balloon

The way the show handles ghouls and ghosts would not be out of place in something like American Horror Story, a show that embraces camp. People exploding like wet bags, giant Halloween ghost heads yelling at people. I’m glad that the show is going big on the supernatural! It just feels like they have no confidence in it so they decided to make the gore so outrageous that it distracts. Lovecraft Country tries really hard to be an HBO prestige drama, and the competing tones crash into each other like two boring trains. But I’ll keep watching it!

Are you saying bad CG (is the CG even bad?) and a montage of someone's life... indicate the show is not comfortable with horror? I don't understand this in any way.

And about the prestige drama bit --- are you saying that it's trying to be like Game of Thrones? The show that slow rolled its magic and weirdstuff until it barfed it up and sucked rear end?

I feel like I have completely different expectations for this show than anyone complaining about it. To me this poo poo is more like The Good Place than it is Westworld. poo poo is fun and funny even if it deals with hosed up poo poo. I tear up a lot about stuff but honestly that scene before they smashed? Yeah a little emotional about the confessions. Extra lol about the oops-not-the-whole-story reveal later.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Imagine hate watching this show lol

Edit: wow

anothergod fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 21, 2020

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Dude was a Private. Torturing a spy wasn't considered to be a war crime in the 50s. He wasn't planning the war crimes and would have faced repercussions if he didn't participate in the war crimes.

This doesn't justify his actions, but it does help explain it. He is clearly dealing with the trauma of what he did in the war and on a different planet than Montrose.

One of my rationalizations for the consistently anachronistic soundtrack is to bring the horrible, horrible past into view from a very forward oriented mindset.

JazzFlight posted:

Uhhh, did you miss the part where he shot a begging innocent nurse who wasn’t a spy in the head?

They really should have had him refuse and have his gun taken from him or something (to then shoot the woman), maybe then even have his war injuries be from his fellow soldiers.

The fact they had him defend himself with the tired old “just following orders” poo poo is disgusting.

The horror in this show isn't spooky atmosphere and jump scares. It's finding out you liked someone who is a horrible person. I am loving stunned by how many people can't handle a flawed character. Did no one else have to read Chaucer or any of the other (few) books I did?

That Italian Guy posted:

We talked about it with Montrose last week, but the cycle of violence (together with the racism, of course) may be one of the most Lovecraft-like monsters in the show: it's a gigantic, inevitable evil that hides under the pretense of normalcy. Everyone in the show - Leti aside, at least for now - has a horrible secret that has been passed down onto them as some sort of legacy.

^^^^

Btw, did anyone else catch Atticus' lies in the flashback? Dude definitely lied to Jiah about being a virgin. I think there's more in there, but IDK. Kinda weird? IDK. Now that Leti is the last remaining protagonist that isn't tainted, I am really hoping she's not the "girl who everyone assumes is lovely but is actually a good girl virgin".

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I'm pretty sure we were less than 5 minutes into the first episode before Tic had that conversation about John Carter and how he could gloss over Carter's bullshit if it was a good time.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd3t2GYxSBE

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Hippolyta night baby. Will she travel in time to try to bring back Uncle George? Who knows?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Wait are people still complaining that the show is portraying a black man from 1950 not being as woke as their something awful posting rear end in 2020?

JazzFlight posted:

...and all the responses after will be flooding in about how it

just makes Tic flawed or how it was accurate to the time period... based on what I read about the book, none of this plot was there (war crimes/gay dad), it's made up completely for the show, so it's all on the showrunners for these choices.

lol so it'd have been fine if Matt Ruff wrote it but now that we got black people writing this poo poo hahahahhaha oh man

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Anonymous Zebra posted:

This is absolutely a show about black characters for a BLACK audience, jesus christ. Half the reason posters in this thread got uncomfortable after the first episode is because the writers blew right past the typical "racism is bad, just like a monster!" that white audiences were used to and started getting into some real dark poo poo that exists within the black community and where race intersects with gender, and sexual orientation. I mean, the writers are on Twitter explaining what they were doing with each episode, it's not that hard to dig up.

Jordan Peele is pretty loving explicit when he is being interviewed by black publications about what his stories mean. He literally point-blank said that Get Out was about the bullshit post-racial performative crap white people pulled during the Obama years, and even joked that white people were going to rave about the movie while missing the loving point. The first episode of this series is basically "racism that white people are comfortable with". It's coded as being far away, in a different time and place, in a way that white people can shake their heads at and compliment the writers on being clever by comparing it to Lovecraftian horror. It even has Uncle George, a survivor of The Tulsa Race massacre, who despite living in such lovely times is inoffensive and nonviolent and takes everything in stride. White people are comfortable with that because it reassures them that great violence is not in their future should the people they've grounded under their heels for centuries actually gain a semblance of power and exact horrible revenge.

Then the writers kill him off and are like "Nope!" Black people are human beings and humans living under these conditions are like Montrose, or Ruby, or Tic. They are hosed up from their trauma, they hurt others, are prone to violence, they strike out where and when they can out of frustration. And then they circle back and point out that even George's comfortable head-of-household attitude was toxic and restrictive to his much more intelligent wife.

It's a show absolutely for black people, so just sit along for the ride and try to learn something.

IDK what the rest of you are doing but this is how to make a good post

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Doltos posted:

Hey fella a lot of us are making that post it's just that one guy who keeps melting down because the show isn't putting the main characters in pedestals

Lol ok yeah there are a lot of you doing pretty well in this thread.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

As a person who loves scary stories but hates being scared I really appreciate this approach to horror

Also anyone want to speculate about Christina hiring people to kill her like bobo?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

100% agree with you Bismuth. I hope they treat the Ji-Ah arc as something interesting as opposed to, idk, a way to flavor Tic's past.

Spoilers for this last episode:
Was her suicide self murder thing a genuine (if wildly flawed) attempt to understand the plight of black people? Or is she actually the only remaining big bad?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Are people always concerned about having likeable heroes? I generally feel like most TV I've watched for a while has heroes w/ obvious flaws that are overcome by likeability. Tic seems like completely the opposite. He's very likeable up front but his flaws eat away at that. I feel like that is intentional.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Wow ok episode 9

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Just a show of hands (no judgment), who here was beaten as a kid? We see this a lot in media, and I think a lot of poor/immigrant/etc families make jokes about it, but I have very rarely seen it talked about on any other level than "good/bad/funny".

I remember when I was really little (like less than 3), my dad would slap my hand really hard if I did something bad. He's a first gen immigrant, and it was a much different time when he was growing up, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's how he was raised. I've never broached the topic w/ him, but I think he sees it as a bad thing that he just had to stop, and he's never had a reason to bring it up himself. Personally I don't care, but, it's just interesting to think about how things like that change.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Because they did Lady Trieu dirty in Watchmen I'm very anxiously awaiting their treatment of Jiah. Otherwise yeah this show rules.

Hakkesshu posted:

This thread became really good after people got over the fact that Tic (and the other characters) aren't always supposed to be likeable. Good job everyone.

Also lol right? jesus christ

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

@Orange Devil that post rules.

Also, I'm so loving excited for tonight.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

This show is clearly not in the realm of realistic fantasy TV that has been in vogue for decades now. It's a fun anthology show with an agenda. I'm glad it's not mindless TV, and I feel like my worldview has grown a lot. I don't think I'd be too excited about a second season for this show, but I'm also pretty sure I'll give a couple hours of my time watching whatever Misha Green comes up with next.

Anyways, it was cool closing out the show last night. It was pretty far from my favorite episode (it might be my least favorite episode?), but all things end, right?

1) Tic's story arc was pretty cool. Him accepting his death was pretty cool. The talk about uh... monster vs. hero is a bit weird, but uh, I guess accepting your death is weird too.
2) Tic leaving Montrose in charge of his kiddo as a do-over for fatherhood was interesting. Will Montrose be a better father? Who knows? Is the ambiguity part of the story? IDK. But it was probably the most interesting way to end Montrose's (or anyone else's) story
3) Jiah's story was over after Daegu and she clearly was supporting cast here. Is she human? Is she not? Is she cool w/ hanging out w/ Tic's baby mama? Or does she just not know how to deal w/ those feelings?
4) The Leti, Ruby, Christina triangle is actually upsetting to me. Leti didn't learn anything, Ruby was actually a good sister the whole time, Christina killed Ruby but also still... loved her? IDK, this poo poo was a mess.
5) Dee seems like she's supposed to be cool and inspire kids even tho, idk, yeah her being the one to kill Christina is hosed

I'm having way less fun talking about this episode than other ones, but if someone wants to chime in and change my mind, that'd be cool.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Anonymous Zebra posted:

EDIT: I love that after 10 episodes of this, people still don't understand why Dee did what she did. A cool robot arm does not erase the trauma of a history of violence. A cool robot arm doesn't bring Emmett back, or put his killers in jail.

Can you explain it to me? The way I see it Dee herself had no reason to murder Christina. She never interacted with her, Christina helped her as much as she could, Christina wasn't going to hurt Dee herself, and as far as I could tell, Dee had no idea what transpired to put Christina in that predicament. The adults clearly left her there, so it's clear that it was their choice to keep her alive.

Tbh, I just see robot arm Dee w/ cthulhu dog as a comic book character, something for kids to talk about at school or doodle in the margins of their notebooks.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

FastestGunAlive posted:

Did not really enjoy the finale as much as the last three or four episodes. Verified that Ji-Ah was a total pointless addition to the source material and the vagueness of the magic spell macguffins caused me to lose interest. As an Asian American I’m reflecting on the use of Asian/Asian Americans in this show and Watchmen and I’m not able to put it in words but I feel... some type of way. I’m not offended and I appreciate both shows as an opportunity to educate myself but I feel disappointed I guess.

However I did enjoy the show overall. I really encourage anyone who has not read the book to go check it out. The differences between the book and show mean there are some great aspects unique to each.

Filipino dude here, and yeah, absolutely the same. I totally expected Ji-Ah to be a prop character after Daegu, and yeah, it happened. But honestly, Black Asian racial interactions is bigger than one episode or even a whole season for a show that already has a lot on its plate. If anyone has resources to articles or media related to Black and Asian racial interactions, I'm super interested. Does the book go into that at all? I doubt it, but, I'd be interested if it does.

To note: Ji-Ah is the only non blood family ally and I think Tic made it a note to call her family. Not even Sammy stuck around, but Ji-Ah was there.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Yeah, totally agree that she's white feminism. Also

radlum posted:

What a waste of Ji-Ah; it is very annoying that HBO has had 2 shows about racism in the US that did poorly when dealing with its Asian characters.

Still looking for shows or movies w/ real things to say about positive interracial relationships in America. The closest I can think of is like... American History X. Haha. Oof.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Doltos posted:

I'd like people to bring up one line from Christina that makes her seem like a white feminist. She specifically didn't want to be a woman.

Neither do white feminists haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Oasx posted:

Did I miss something or did the show completely gloss over Yahima’s murder?

Didn't miss anything! I don't know where Yahima's story arc could've gone, but it was definitely squelched pretty fast

Edit: Re vvv
Yeah I don't know how well it was handled, but I understood it as Montrose does hosed up things when he's scared, and he's scared of magic. Even to a bigger extreme than Ji-Ah, the show used Yahima as a prop. Pretty unfortunate.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 23, 2020