Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I read the book this summer when I heard this TV adaptation was coming out. The book is a set of short stories bound together by common characters, and I can see how its structure would lend itself to a TV version.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it

I'm pretty excited if so. That seems like a great premise for a TV show and the budget seems to be here to make it good. If they base it all off short stories then there shouldn't be any of the filler stuff like the walking dead faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
One thing I was surprised by was the decision to play blatantly out-of-era music on the soundtrack, specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-8qrzg-vgQ

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Milo and POTUS posted:

This was the only line delivery that negatively stood out for me lol.

yeah that was about as un-subtle as you can get, he might as well have just straight up said he banged his mom

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Alehkhs posted:

HBO has put the first episode up on YouTube for free (I expect that it is region-locked):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvVmlDyJ6BA

this is the new water-cooler show at work for me, so this makes sense. people who only talked about tv ever during Game of Thrones are watching this one and talking about it now

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
oh yeah that was by far the thing that bugged me the most about this episode. the dad had been up there for how long at that point, 3+ weeks? and he happened to tunnel out of there through the ground exactly when they went looking for him?

i do really like the show, and i don't mind it being pure action pulp, but that one was bad. i was positive it was a flashback.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I thought the pacing on episode 3 was a lot better than 2. I think I liked it more than 2, about the same as 1.

I definitely agree with the theory that the guy with the baseball bat was time travelin' Tic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
From the couple guys at work I talk to about TV, I think the different expectations is a big thing. They were both thinking it would be a long, slow, Lovecraft nightmare.

It's not that, it's a pulp horror romp, with racism as the biggest horror element. I didn't get in to it expecting anything and I'm liking it a lot.