Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was going to post about how I really like this show, but instead now I'm mad about people thinking that HBO just hosed up the car crash shot and decided to air it anyway.

The casting is fantastic and I quite liked the show, and I'm glad that something awesome to watch followed up Perry Mason.

Drunkboxer posted:

I have no idea where the show will take it but one thing to make clear is that the book was not really in the Lovecraft Mythos at all. If I remember correctly, only the first story (which was the basis of this episode) felt explicitly Lovecrafty. The other stories have other genre author influences. Like That Italian Guy said there's already been Burroughs references and the book felt pretty Steven Kingy at times. I also remember thinking how some stories reminded me of Ray Bradbury and Arthur C. Clarke. It's like a big genre mashup.

I wish I could remember the book better because I having a hard to telling what are changes and what are things I straight up forgot. I guess it doesn't matter in the end but it's going to nag at me.
Is it an anthology? I looked it up last night and already found out spoilers that I didn't want to know, but it didn't say anything about it being multiple stories.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Bloody sad as I still love some of the old stuff like Flashman, Conan, Solomon Kane and the like. .

The Solomon Kane stories are entertaining stories, but holy poo poo are they racist as gently caress when he describes African people.

I was listening to the podcast HBO put out, they pointed out another recreation of a famous photo (the people waiting in line being the other) that I hadn't noticed.

Someone posted it on Reddit already.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm really enjoying this, but the editing is the thing that is keeping me from loving it.
Episode 2 seemed like someone was just hitting skip on some scenes, that probably could have easily covered two episodes worth.
Episode 3 was better, but still a bit janky. What was the payoff with Hypolyta in the weird locked room? How was the weird locked room not a bigger mystery in the episode?
I think the Emmett Till (amazing catch to whoever caught that earlier, btw) reference in the ouija board scene is amazing, but why have the one they are talking to be George if it's not going to be brought up at all afterwards? Was there any other point to having that scene in this episode?

I'm assuming some of this will make sense after seeing the rest of the season, but it does seem to be a little bit scatter shot.

Also, completely random, but I finally figured out that Tic's mom is Rachel from Justified. When they showed that photo in the first episode I knew she looked familiar, but I couldn't place it.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 3, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

mary had a little clam posted:

The full ouija sentence was "George is Dead" so I think it was the ghost of Epstein loving with them

That makes more sense. I was watching it on a smaller screen so I missed the second half, I thought it said something like "your dad" which was why the girl freaked out.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Inspector 34 posted:

I didn't get the feeling they were talking to George unless he had a habit of speaking in the third person that I didn't pick up on. But yeah I agree that they brought a bunch of ideas for creepy stuff going on and didn't really pay off on all of it.

From memory because I'm dumb and probably wrong:
They asked some innocuous question and got an answer.
Emmett Till asks if he'll have fun on his vacation, goes to "NO"
They say "who are we talking to" and it spells out "GEORGE"
Then it keeps going and it was too quick for me to follow. I thought it said DAD, Mary had a Little Clam said it spelled out "GEORGE IS DEAD",either way the girl freaks out and then it's forgotten about.

Also I totally typed Emmett as Everett in my earlier post because as mentioned before I'm dumb.

The ghost that woke Letty up was creepy as poo poo. Baby headed basketball player was kind of funny, even if the idea of having your head sent back in time is pretty horrifying.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 3, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Doltos posted:

Ruby's actress owns. Wunmi Mosaku, never heard of her before this

She was in the Wyatt Russel Black Mirror episode "Playtest" as the one who was running the test.

She was also Idris Elba's partner in the really lovely last season of Luther.

She's probably my favorite character in this series, she's doing an awesome job.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Is Ruby braindead like William, or was she just knocked out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Slamhound posted:

This show was an uneven mess. There were some good episodes and some great performances, but overall it was a complete loving mess.

I found the show to be interesting, and overall I'd say I liked it, but I have a hard time disagreeing with this.