Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
great first episode, I thought it went a little too big too soon (them being slowly chased by the sheriff is infinitely more menacing than them getting into a literal car chase gunfight with a redneck death squad so tonally it just felt a little weird) but then again the first twenty pages of Mountains of Madness is Lovecraft dryly reciting the travel logistics so maybe they wanted to assure the audience that things are actually gonna happen on this show

banned from Starbucks posted:

The cop that chased them to the train tracks was one of the ones in the woods/cabin? I thought he stopped at the tracks? Did he radio the other cops ahead and then join them? Was kinda confusing how they edited that part. Is that how he knew his name?

my girlfriend was annoyed that this was played as a tense getaway when obviously the cop was going to arrest or try to murder them regardless of if he could legally do so, and then was pleasantly surprised when that's exactly what happens a minute later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Echoing sentiments that you can't really build tension when your characters encounter a mystery, solve it immediately, and are given a new mystery they immediately solve minutes later. The bit with the portal/collapse/etc should've been great but it felt like it should've been the culmination of two or three episodes worth of buildup, but it's so rushed that it felt like another music video montage over a string of them.

Hoping they can slow it down after this but even the preview for next week seemed bloated so we'll see.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Catching up on this thread became confusing because I thought the 'why could we ever like a character that would murder someone in cold blood' discussions were about Atticus doing war crimes, not his father slicing up the person they rescued. Which is....a little weird in terms of the broader series as a protagonist were supposed to be sympathetic to but I actually thought it worked well in the framing of this episode.

I liked it a lot! And also there was no bad Marilyn Manson song to completely take me out of it!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Loved this episode. I still think the actual 'main' plot is weak but the anthology feel of the last three episodes whips.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Tonight's episode was kind of great? It had the first instance of actual deeply unsettling supernatural horror (Diana), it had extreme catharsis (the last two minutes) and it showed how rich white indifference is in some ways as bad as hatred and malice (Christina).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I liked the finale and how things ultimately fell, but I definitely feel like the show was messy enough that a second season would have to both retcon their triumph immediately as well as over-explain some facets that I kinda hope they leave it as is. I don't think you could get a more visceral satisfactory ending than Christina's throat being horribly crushed as their guardian shoggoth triumphantly howls in the background.

Josh Lyman posted:

She’s not a great actress but she was in Fury Road and The Neon Demon.

I refuse to believe anyone could remember anything about Neon Demon other than Keanu and the cougar enough to remember individual actresses