Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
This show kinda feels like it’s made by people who feel uncomfortable in horror. I don’t expect it to be scary, but I do expect it to try and holy moley the bad cg tentacles and her seeing this guys life of family and climbing mountains before he pops like a water balloon

The way the show handles ghouls and ghosts would not be out of place in something like American Horror Story, a show that embraces camp. People exploding like wet bags, giant Halloween ghost heads yelling at people. I’m glad that the show is going big on the supernatural! It just feels like they have no confidence in it so they decided to make the gore so outrageous that it distracts. Lovecraft Country tries really hard to be an HBO prestige drama, and the competing tones crash into each other like two boring trains. But I’ll keep watching it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

The very first episode featured this:

... so I'm not sure if there was ever a question about embracing camp. I guess they could have had a picture in picture in the corner of John Waters giggling but hopefully the message still got out there.

Yeah yeah, I can't really explain it so it's probably just my own experience with it, the show just feels like its embarrassed by its own horror elements.

I don't know why they had that huge fantasy sequence as a hook into the show. It would make more sense to me if we spent more time in Tic's inner experience. This episode was more satisfying in that way, I like seeing that his flaws and trauma are really upsetting to him and the audience. I think it's good that it's not easy to like him.

Just a feeling, feels like the show can't decide if it's a fun romp or a serious drama or a scary monster show. You can mix genres successfully, I just don't feel it on this one.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty good episode! Aunjanue Ellis is really great, she brings a beautiful anger. I loved seeing some pulpy cosmic stuff again! I've missed it since that explosive opening scene. I can't really put my finger on this show. I find it at times tiresome and annoying, but all the actors are doing great work and it looks beautiful. I still think that the showrunners don't really know how to blend the fantastical stuff with the grounded racism/homophobia, I agree with posters saying it feels a bit scattered. Although, I'm not sure there is a perfect way to handle all of this stuff, and it certainly feels like a new attempt at spanning genres.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Agreed that the warlock cops would have been much more satisfying villains to have a showdown with, Christina felt like a lukewarm threat the more we learned about her. Dee crushing Christina's throat in cold blood felt kinda weird, and the beast howling at the moon seemed like an unearned "wow what a badass" moment. Dee running from the demons was my favorite sequence in the whole run, but I just didn't feel like a child executing someone in cold blood was a moment to cheer to.