Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

First episode was great. I’m assuming someone from the mansion controlled the monsters. Interested to see where this goes, but hope they keep a lot of the focus on the racism of that period. So many people seem to gloss over exactly how terrible that time period was for black people.

Is this supposed to be a long running show, or just one and done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Just watched episode 2 and I liked it, not quite as much as the first, but still good. The show being more of an anthology isn’t what I expected, but I’m willing to give it a shot. I think the show is better when dealing more with real life racism, but I can get down with blending in fantasy stuff too.

I think the faster pace works for now, it doesn’t let the show get too bogged down considering it’s trying to be somewhat pulpy and not super high drama all the time. Other shows would have taken these two episodes and stretched them out to like six, and I can use something faster for a change.

No clue if they’re going to weave in a larger storyline or what. I just hope this doesn’t turn into some mystery box show.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea this one was solid, had a couple of good scares, and also sets up how the rest of the season will go.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

I just realized that the final reveal of the episode basically completely validates the racist cop's suspicions and that he was totally right about someone putting them up to buying that house even if they themselves didn't realize it. Big ol' yikes to that.

Except the cop thinks they're doing it to integrate the neighborhood, which the wizards don't care about.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

What the gently caress was going on with the cops skin?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

AtraMorS posted:

I...think he's grafting black skin onto himself? A cop's fear of a black body becomes jealousy of/desire for that body, maybe?

This episode was loving rife with that kind of fetishistic Get-Out hosed-upped-ness.

Yea, that’s kind of what I thought was happening, but it wasn’t very clear. Lots of body transformations this episode. It just clicked with me how the cross dressing ballroom scene ties into it all. I’m not very quick.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, this feels like Christina Braithwhite is creating a tool she can use to unleash on Leti, or just have Ruby turn on Leti when Leti and Tic try to take out Christina.

How they're treating Montrose is weird. Like he hasn't really been sympathetic at all, up until this last episode where they try to rehab his image I guess. Maybe they will use his closeted homosexuality as a reason why he was such an rear end in a top hat for so long.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I for one, welcome our giant Afro having space-time traveling overlords.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I had to catch up, so I watched 8 and 9 last night, and drat they were good. The show feels like 100% better than the early episodes right now.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I am kind of worried that they were setting up Dee to be a villain in the next season. Just had that feel for me.

Show definitely had some highs and lows at the beginning, but I felt like the back half was solid all the way until the end.

Christina was the low key more powerful villain than the cops. She’s more like the white liberal who undermines black people at every turn, while also claiming to help them. Unlike the cops who will outright murder black people because they’re just that evil. Sacrificing Tic was just a thing that needed to happen for her. She doesn’t care about his life, but acts as if it’s weird that everyone wants to stop her.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Doltos posted:

I'd like people to bring up one line from Christina that makes her seem like a white feminist. She specifically didn't want to be a woman.

Her whole motivation was because men were excluding her from the magic group. I don’t think she didn’t want to be a woman, she just didn’t want to be excluded. She transformed into a man to gain access where she couldn’t before.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

That’s surprising considering how well the first season was received and it had good numbers. Sounds like HBO didn’t like the writing for the second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Is there a different Jefferson I’m forgetting? Why would New England be Jefferson Commonwealth when he was a Virginian?