Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I thought it was great. I also thought the first episodes of The Outsider and Watchmen were great, so I'm super worried that once again I'm Charlie Brown and HBO is Lucy holding the football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Doltos posted:

makes this feel like a more serious version of Ash vs the Evil Dead.

I know it can be easy to see stuff that isn't there, but I replayed the cabin scene a couple of times when I was watching and I'm 93% convinced it was a nod to Evil Dead. The windows (and the boards on them) , the porch, the set dressing down to the location of the mounted deer head, all blatantly scream the cabin from ED. I hope I'm right, because I really love that.

*Oh yeah, also the hole in the front door.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 19, 2020

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Yeah. I love camp and pulp, but those aren't the problem. Episode two felt like three episodes had been cut down to fit one time slot, and the editing was so rushed it was borderline random. I feel like they were going for fast paced ride but ended up with desperately rushed mess. I'll probably check out how it went eventually, but this episode was bad enough to knock it off my gotta watch it as soon as it's streaming list.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

JazzFlight posted:

I thought last night's episode went super off the rails bad.

Yeah. I decided to catch up after episode two turned me off the show, and I'm kind of impressed how that in a medium where every moment is a creative choice that the creators somehow manage to constantly make choices that are so stunningly dumb. It took me three attempts over two days to make it through the last episode because I kept getting shut down by second hand embarrassment. Something about how the greater universe underlying the thin layer of reality we live in turns out to be a terrible Rick and Morty-esque parody of a Missy Elliott video really made things awkward. I mean if you want to paint a picture of empowerment, you probably should do better than a smarmy cartoon caricature that feels more sarcastic than the surreal vibe that I assume they were shooting for.

I mean hooray for taking chances and everything, but sometimes you fall on your face and goddamn does this show do that in grand fashion.