Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I never expected to see such an ... accurate depiction of Korea life and culture in an American TV show. I've lived in Korea for 16 years now and the plot, characters, events, and even clothing and set design match up almost perfectly with everything I understand about Korea. The hard-rear end mother and the devoted daughter is even a common literary string plucked in Korean writing. Whoever wrote this episode had a comprehensive, in-depth understanding of Korean culture that I've only ever seen in Korean movies before. That alone was quite frankly amazing. It wasn't Chinese pretending to be Korean, and it wasn't Japanese pretending to be Korean either (LOST!). It was the real deal.

The only thing that I had doubts about was the speed dating scene and the talk about "mee-ting" as a dating concept. That's relatively recent in Korean culture, so recent that I've seen it go from a scandalous and hush-hush topic to normalized in just the time I've lived here. Of course I've also gone from a 20-something to a 40-something and gone from the provinces to the capital during that time so there may be geographic and age factors involved in that perspective as well. But I mean a little over 10 years ago I remember going to a house party and when I left the older man security guard of the building was asking us if the event was speed dating event, showing undue concern because if it is he was going to have to shut it down. For it to be so scandalous in the 2000s and also a practice in the 1950s doesn't seem to match up with what I understand of the culture.

And I never thought about the implications of a nine-tailed fox having nine tails before this episode. Is it simply a coincidence that there are 9 orifices in the human body? I, uh... have to do some more research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My time in Korea was getting drank under the table by middle age businessmen on a Wednesday so the idea that speed dating would be taboo is amazing to me.

Its weird what's taboo and what's not. In my experience its mostly contextual so when you're drunk off your rear end with middle-aged businessmen on a Wednesday night anything goes, but on Thursday you better put your decent-man face back on and pretend nothing ever happened and most importantly don't talk about it in public ever.

More on this topic, I asked some coworkers over lunch about the speed dating thing. They said it sounded like something the Japanese did back then so they said it seemed reasonable that it would be practiced in Korea in the 1950s as well. As I explained the plot of the show, including the kumiho, they got more and more interested. They were also amazed at the accuracy of the plot elements.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

They teleported together, with hands held! She resurrected the best character of the series! They're gonna show up and everyone is going to FREAK!!!

Amazing. I can't wait for next episode.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I love sci-fi and fantasy and horror, but sometimes I hate them. Because lots of times you just get the same old tired plots and events and ideas and you have to content yourself with focusing on the characters and their quality actions and reactions to things that you can easily predict or expect. Or other times you get both the same old tired plots and the same old, tired characters too. When I first started getting into fantasy back in high school, everything was insanely mind-blowing, awesome, and new. But not anymore. It is rare that I get some truly new, innovative idea and even rarer that I see some truly great characters that react and act themselves in believable, heart-wrenching ways.

This episode has both the new ideas and the awesome characters. Aunt Hippolyta decides to take a detour from coming back from Boston and becomes a FREAKIN' AMAZON WARRIOR-PRIESTESS SPACE WIZARD. Tic travels back in time and saves his own gay dad. Leti reacts completely believably to being able to WALK THROUGH FIRE because everybody else still gets burned to death. And this was all foreshadowed and built up and not teased but thrown in our faces at a breakneck pace its still mind-blowing. This would be 5 seasons of any other show. Heck they could have drawn out Dee's true closest relative for half a season in a lesser show. What did it take in this one, 5 whole minutes?

This is the best show on television.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

And Montrose was right. Tic does die to magic. He was completely justified in his fear and in his actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah, the map heavily implies that in a world where WASPs lost magic that American Caucasians get owned from coast to coast. Really curious to see what's up with New England in this world.

https://twitter.com/MishaGreen/status/1411123731653566466

Yeesh. We already have a broken US depicted in the Handmaid's Tale. If we had one on HBO as well you'd have to start asking how many networks have to show something before it becomes true.

You got trump supporters openly talking about civil war on tv these days. Having multiple TV shows running civil war scenarios for entertainment sounds like something no executive wants to be a part of. I can see why they shied away from this.