Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Elviscat posted:

Necroing this thread because I'm actually working on my house again.

Going to be a lot less detailed going forward, since I'm working with a contractor for most of it this time.

There's 3 "phases" of work left to be done on the house

- upstairs
-bathroom and kitchen (also important, the floor is literally falling out of the bathroom right now, and I'm afraid the tubs going to go through while I'm showering.)
- exterior, siding, some more foundation work etc.

I'm stating with the upstairs, because while I need it the least, I need a bathroom while the other bathroom's being remodeled. One of the contractors is also a real estate agent, and she's been a huge help getting me to focus on time and budget, and things that will make the house more marketable, like keeping a second bedroom upstairs (for a total of 3).

They've been working off and on for three weeks, and have the upstairs gutted and re-framed, I'm wiring it now, and plumbing is coming up.

This job is a lot less inconvenient to living in the house than the last one, but I'm still working nights, so I'm not getting a ton of sleep once the banging starts.

One of the first projects, setting up a cat-proof barrier to the construction zone. I realized a zip-wall wouldn't cut it, so I designed my own. Uses bolts as jackscrews on each post, which is 2 2x4's, the bottom is sheathed in Ram Board for cat protection, I'm really happy with how it turned out, the door works flawlessly.

New bathroom, taken inside tiny bedroom

Tiny bedroom looking at big bedroom

Big bedroom, these lovely, failed windows still need to come out, they'll be getting replaced with the same cheapo casements that are downstairs.

Looking down the stairs, that window placement will gently caress with me forever from this angle.

Something I really, really don't appreciate, not only does Lowe's have three (3) padlocks on the cage their wire's in, if you buy wire an employee has to hold onto your cart all the way to the register, like you're a toddler. I need to start going to Graybar up the road.

The kitties need to be put in kitty jail (the bedroom) every morning so they don't bug the contractors. So I wake up covered in kitty every morning. After a lot of thought, I made the decision to keep Rosie at my mom's for the duration of the remodel, which is a bummer, but these two try their best to make up for it.

E/gently caress/quote/=edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Project continues.

GC did all the plumbing, since that's the trade he started in, looks pretty nice to my untrained eye.

In that second picture you can see the vents drilled through the wall, everything's being brought up to code re: venting and moisture control in the attic, eves will be vented, with baffles and foam board through the sloped parts of the roof, and R30 worth of blow-in over the ceiling. At the left, the blue painter's tape x marks the access hatch for this portion of the eves, which is cool because it'll allow for servicing a lot of the plumbing and some of the wiring after the drywall/hardi's up. I'm leaving that section of tile and old lovely mirror as an Easter egg for the next sucker who works on this house.

Baffles:

I don't know how I managed to hit the firring strips on Every. Single. Hole. For the recessed lights. Broke the center drill on my hole saw on one of them. The anti-kickback feature on newer cordless drills is really nice for saving your wrists when using holesaws, btw.

Even with the move to a more fiscally viable remodel, I will not suffer a fan-light combo, or a fan-anything combo, or anything but a Panasonic fan, for that matter.

I want a humidistat for the fan (not required here yet by code), fortunately HD has ones that you can hit the button on and manually turn the fan on for 30-60min. Earlier this year I was staying at a new house in CA that had humidity switches ONLY and it was really frustrating not being able to turn the fan on when you're on the toilet doing non-humidity-producing things.

Why electricians hate carpenters:

Ripping out the old wiring, I found the one and only wire staple used in the old wiring!

Please excuse the SE cable for my sub-panel hanging limp like that, I think the contractors pulled the clips for it out so they could drill the vent holes in the siding, because I'm 99.9% sure I had it all properly secured up here, though I won't rule out me rushing to finish the last job before I deployed. I'm finding a few dumbshit things I did, like I ran wiring for a smoke detector in the living room, and even left a coil of wire to connect it to the upstairs during this part of the remodel, but I completely forgot to put one in the bedroom somehow.

Kitty:

Not pictured: I also hooked the laundry circuit, that I hacked out three years ago, back up to one of the old circuits from the upstairs, so I can run my washing machine without the 12 gauge extension cord running from the bathroom, which was the "temporary" fix.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I did not block the cats from getting into the remodeling so every once in a while you get one falling through the drop ceiling. I was planning on pulling it out eventually I guess.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
At this point, how much of the original house is actually left?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The biggest original chunks are the beams (-1 that rotted into the ground), the second floor joists, and all the framing for the roof, including the original firring strips, (which is amazing to me, that the roof has always been upkept) most of the upstairs walls and flooring are also intact.

I think about 90% of the framing for the first floor walls is new, which is kind of nuts.

If I had burned it down 5 years ago I'd probably be done by now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Elviscat posted:

If I had burned it down 5 years ago I'd probably be done by now.

lmao, I was gonna say, it would've been easier to flatten it and start over.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I got the upstairs tidied up for the contractors ok before I left on vacation (going on vacation for the heavy demo work was a pro move) but I forgot a few things.

Like an empty gas can in the sink.

Text from the contractor:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SpeedFreek posted:

I did not block the cats from getting into the remodeling so every once in a while you get one falling through the drop ceiling. I was planning on pulling it out eventually I guess.
Those must have been the angriest cats in the world.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Plumbing looks good to me too, I'm glad he used copper stubouts. PEX is great but I can't stand the stubouts flapping around.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

They pressure tested the drain lines too, which impressed me.

Night shift and having contractors working directly above your bed it's not compatible, it's been a tired couple weeks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hahaha, that thread title change is awesome, thank you! I love it.

More progress, this is over about two weeks.

Got these pictures between window installs, I don't know what it is about those lovely old sliders, maybe the tank-slit aspect ratio, but replacing them with casements is the biggest single upgrade to the bedrooms up here. The contractors opted to cut the flanges and glue the windows, rather then split the opening like I did on the south wall downstairs, looks cleaner tbh, and less trim work required.

Big bedroom, old window.

Small bedroom/office, new windows.

This is... not how you install a window, better job than the downstairs windows, somehow.

View out the small bedroom, that cherry will have to go when the new porch goes on.

Big bedroom with new windows.

I wrapped up the electrical rough in last weekend, I realized I forgot to put a smoke detector in the bedroom we're currently in, and I stupidly waited until after the thin-set in the bathroom was poured (had direct access to the drywall in the ceiling below) so I drilled through the floor and into the new false/drop ceiling below, and what are the loving odds of this?

Fortunately the drill bit just got the metal bezel, and the light's fine.

Bathroom with thinset poured:

Some teenage boy from the 90's treasures were discovered hidden in one of the eves, (nws/spoilered for extremely 90s scantily clad lady advertising phone sex)

:nws: :nws:

I got woken up by music playing at about nine million decibels and rotozips Friday morning, but it's worth it.

My neighbor's been clearing land, had a real nice 72 hour slash pile bonfire over the last weekend, I hope they're not making this permanent derelict box truck and oil tank storage.

I've been housesitting my own cat for the last week, can't wait to get this construction done so I can get her back.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elviscat posted:

View out the small bedroom, that cherry will have to go when the new porch goes on.

I like that the buckets are having a lovely little picnic in the backyard.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Shame about the neighbour clearing land, the wilderness in the area looked nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

I like that the buckets are having a lovely little picnic in the backyard.

Lol

PurpleXVI posted:

Shame about the neighbour clearing land, the wilderness in the area looked nice.

The upshot is, the more trees they clear, the better my view of the water.