Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oooh boy lower back pain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I find a brisk walk helps the most, and ibuprofen

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That's why I tend to stick to a brand I know, like Sievi, which is made locally to me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Slugworth posted:

Someone educate me, I thought heat pumps were not used in areas that got cold enough for snow? I had never seen one until I left the Midwest (and the technology still confuses me, despite me now owning one).

They are common here in Finland and neighboring countries. Heat pump is too generic a word, but I assume you are talking air heat pumps. But my answer remains the same for that, they work down to -15C or so here, getting less efficient as the temperature drops. Newer pumps push this figure down further and are more effective.

Now ground source heat pumps, they work against for instance, the ground water table, which is always the same temp year round. I have a 130m borehole that my heat pump extracts heat from with a loop of brine. Some people dig the loop down nearer the ground and lay it all over the garden instead. Some people run the loop down on the bottom of a nearby lake.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah lever handles have that disadvantage, we had a cat who learned the same, and left the back door open when it was -30 outside once.

How cold is it where you are for the heat pump to have such problems?

Elviscat posted:

It's not too bad, it actually has a huge fire box, if I close the flue to minimum it'll still have a good bed of embers and the kitchen will be warm in the morning.

What it ought to have is some thermal mass. We have this superb little wood heater in Finland called the Porin-Matti, it's like a hybrid between a heavy masonry heater and a steel wood burner. It gives both quick radiant warmth but has like 200-300kg of concrete inside it that retains the heat for a slow release over several hours. Great little heaters, highly effective burn too, achieved like 86% in the 1940s.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 31, 2021