Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elviscat posted:

*throws up a whole wall in 2 hours*

"Awesome l, just a couple pieces of blocking and whatnot, I'll do that tomorrow, then I'll do XY and Z!"

*4 hours of cutting blocking and solving unforeseen problems later*

"Well... gently caress."

I feel like this is me estimating ANY type of work. Household/fun projects, work at work, etc.

It's me, I'm the perpetual "overcommit then underdeliver" :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Clearly, you've got the wood oriented the wrong direction and you're not getting the across-the-grain cut that you're used to :v:

That looks like steel tubing to me, but I can't tell 100%

Edit: Didn't really sound like it though

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Any particular reason you decided to frame the landing in steel instead of wood? I've never done stairs before so if this is a rookie question, sorry!

As for the stairs, I'm torn. I'm in the middle of getting my house ready for sale and so everything I'm doing is "I want to do it RIGHT, but I want to do it as inexpensively as possible". If you were planning on living there for awhile, hell yeah night lighting on the stairs would own (as that's my primary gripe with the stairs in my house). However, would it be worth the extra effort to do that instead of just finishing up faster so you can get out?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elviscat posted:

The stairs are going to be welded steel, with floating wooden treads.

It's my one really stupid absolute splurge on materials for this project, I want it to be a really cool centerpiece to this part of the house.

Oh, right, I remember that now!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
OOF.

We had a LOT of training in our machine shop about "never try to catch ANYTHING". They didn't care what it was, if it started falling, just get out of the way.

It's definitely a natural reflex, though, and even as safety-conscious as I was, I still did it from time to time.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elviscat posted:

I normally have pretty good "pull fingers the gently caress away" instincts from my job as a mechanic, and crushing my hands under valves and 100lb blocks of inconel and poo poo, I guess they only kick in with things I don't own, and not in my own kitchen.

lmao, yeah, I hear that :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elviscat posted:

E: three weeks to have this house liveable, drywallers are dodging my calls, my stress levels are through the loving roof.

It's like my painter buddy always said: "Leave a baggie of crack on the front step and the drywallers will come"

Okay so maybe he didn't say those words in that order exactly but I still have faith in the process :colbert:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 1, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Octagonal window needs to be about 6' lower :colbert:

Also, those stairs are going to be noisy as gently caress. Might want to consider adding some insulation under them :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elviscat posted:

I really just want to curl into a ball and die.

I'm prepping my old house for sale and this is a MOOD.

For what it's worth, you've done like 10x+ the amount of work I have on my house, and I hired some of it out and have had help from my dad on the rest. (So, really, he's the you in this analogy and I'm just following him around trying to be useful :v: )

I am curious what your next steps are as well!