Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

In for the ride. Will be as... fascinating as kastein’s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Thanks, they're about my favorite thing I've ever made!

I have no direct evidence he didn't :tinfoil: did you get yours patched up? I remember talking about it.

I hope not.

I do not have Kastein's patience or attention to detail.

I like those railings, though. I don't know if I'll ever have the opportunity to use something like that, but is the hardware to secure the cables common/inexpensive?

quote:

My house might be even more hosed up though, since it literally wasn't intended to be a permanent structure.

He's moving close to me, supposedly, I plan on bribing him with beer for help.

Be careful with that - he may talk you into a lot more than you bargained for, given his experience. :D

edit: I do like the garden you've got growing on the shingles, there... :P

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

The cable railing stuff isn't bad, we were out about $500 in cable, ferrules and tools, $500 in steel, $200 in powdercoating, and $350 in welder. You can do it with wood posts too, it's pretty competitive with pickets, and less of a p.i.t.a.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P5KDZX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_p7BpFb0G0ZHYC

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0816CC7TF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Z7BpFbWNT7SC1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V7BCK6H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_d9BpFb3M1KZEG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V6H6WHF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_E.BpFbMKQRQA2

Thanks! Might be building a deck in the (not near) future.

quote:

By garden you mean the nice normal PNW moss coating? Helps seal the shingles.

Now THIS

Might be a problem.

I'm having trouble seeing moss on a roof as "normal", but, yeah. Then again, I'm from where 104 degF is a normal summer occurrence.
I hear you about the clay - I've got that like 1" below the topsoil. It's either rock-hard when dry, or stickier than a bad reputation when wet. I hate it.

LOL: "footing".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

At least we have some, most of the soil around here is "glacial till" which sucks for building on, it's sandy and porous, and you get a lot of weird settling.

Footing progress continues, it turns out that paying a teenager to dig, is much easier than digging yourself, I think we'll be ready to form and pour early next week.

I went to Harbor Freight yesterday, specifically to pick up jacks, to jack the house up with, and they are completely out of bottle jacks, so I had to order off of Amazon.

My Harbor Freight was completely out of chop saws, except the little 10” one that can’t cut larger than 1” - 1-1/2” stock, and the wee 3” or whatever it is. Weird random shortages.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Well, I've been too busy to do anything big on the house, until today, when we TRIED to start jacking it up, under the ambient light of a sickening blood red sun

It was actually going ok, until the old, rotten joists started exploding.

So now I'm stuck re framing the whole loving floor, and inserting a proper silplate under the 2x4s in that wall.

It's gonna be weird as hell when it's done, basic process:

-Sister 2x6s to the old ones, back to the next beam, with structural screws, cut out old joists and floor and add sill-plate to existing wall

-Jack new floor to approximately level with old beam

-pour footer and sill wall, the new joists will rest on top of 2 2x6s on top of the hip wall, no need for a beam, that'll let us pit in a proper rim-joist too

-(after the north half of the house is finished) demo the south side (side pictured) and sister 2x8s to the new floor we just made, to level it and bring it to the height of the re-done floor on the North half.

It's an iterative process, ok?

Here's some picture of the old beam remnants we knocked out once we jacked the joists off of it

-

Which is a project for next weekend.

Yeah, it sounds convoluted, but without demolishing the house, that's what you gotta do. That sucks.

edit: That first pic is so surreal it hurts my eyes. I want to white balance it so badly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mask up and don't die, my dude. There are going to be lingering respiratory issues for years out there...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Egads. To all of that.

I think I missed it back there somewhere, but once you have it level, what are you going to do? Concrete perimeter foundation?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Haven't updated in awhile.

TL;DR, my roomates are Nazis and moving away someplace where hate speech is tolerated.

It's been emotional, and leaves me kinda pissing in the wind, since I don't know poo poo about construction, besides electrical work, and poo poo rolling downhill.

Oh well, I can probably learn.

Oof. Sucks to learn new things in such a way (both in the sense of "about friends" and "right now because you have to".)

quote:

This last weekend I went on a little vacation with my GF for her birthday, the roofers came by while I was gone, put on a new roof in 30yr architectural shingles. Kastein made fun of me for not doing this myself, but they were done in a day, they did a great job, and it was pretty cheap, beats the heck out of scrambling around a 12/12 pitch roof for three weeks myself. I plan on contracting out drywall to the same company, everything else I'll do myself, probably*

Yeah, I *can* (and have done) roofing. I don't *want* to.

quote:

Today I knocked off work early and got to cuttin' and weldin' some supports for my new heatpump's condenser, since the best place to put it is right over the septic drain field, I figure I'd play it safe and wall mount it.

Welding .125" thick 2" square tube, 3/32 7018 rod, about 95 amps.

Off to a rocky start:

Eh, a little better, I kinda wanted appearance grade welds. Too bad I suck at welding:

Oh well grinder and paint, right? That minor pitting is no big deal, especially since these welds won't really have any load on them.

(Ear-splitting screaming):

I don't know how I hosed up that bad, the one closer to the camera is correct.

Guess I'm cutting and butt welding the other one. That is a good signal to stop for the day.

Not gonna lie: been there. And yeah, you just stop for the day.
It's been a very long time since I stick welded. MIG is so much easier, even flux-core. For that kind of stuff, it works great. Kind of impressive that you blew holes in 1/8". Later welds look good, though. That's usually how mine go. Crap start as I remember how to weld, then get cleaner.
Also, rather than screaming, usually from me it's one very loud "gently caress."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

I'm wearing my safety flip-flops.

I did that a while back belding up the t-bolt set screws for my vise mount. Caught a couple of dingleberries on the tops of my feet, improvised dancing ensued.
I also discovered that normal leather work gloves are not up to handling recently-welded objects.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Not too bad, could've used a little more vibrating, there's some porosity there, it'll work though.

I need to get some more cookware now that my roomates have moved out.

If you have an Ikea, we've had really good luck with their cheap non-stick stuff. It works better than name-brand stuff, in our experience, and I read an article claiming that basically no non-stick lasts, however expensive it is, so just get the cheap stuff and replace often.

Elviscat posted:

UPDATE: don't cut hardie backer with an angle grinder, if you do, don't wait until you're halfway done to put on your respirator, if you do that, don't do it in 2020 and spend the next 24 hours playing "respiratory distress caused by inhaling concrete dust or the COVID you're quarantined for"

It was just the concrete dust.

Uh, yeah, don't breathe that poo poo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

The doggy pictured behind the doors helped level out the mortar for the porch door in the future new bedroom.

smoothed over them, they'll be in the mortar permanently

I was going to yell at you if you didn't leave the prints there for some future person to find and laugh/wonder at.

quote:

Plus look at the spare I made for my GF.

Probably not a big deal with glass doors and all, but might be a good idea to blur or otherwise obscure the teeth on that key. Black Hat talks have told me they can reproduce keys from that picture. Of course, Black Hat has also told me that most rekeyable locks are almost trivially easy to brute force. Hell, most home-grade locks, for that matter...

Those french doors look great!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Thank you! I'll see if I can make it look good. If not, that's what caulk is for!

Please don't do this. I think I have PTSD from the amount of caulk in unexpected places in my house, including holding the wallpaper border up in the living room, because they didn't remove the texturing on the walls first.

Yes, I know hope you're joking.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Every manufacturer who uses internal clutch actuation should be forced to warranty them forever.
Thankfully, my RX-7s plop the secondary cylinder right on top of the transmission. Don't even have to jack up the car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Counterpoint, I suppose, would have been the mechanical linkage that would be in my '70 Cutlass if it had a manual. The famous "z-bar". One end of the pivot anchored on a ball stud on the engine block - the other on the frame. God help you if your engine mounts are bad.

Edit: house stuff - I patched a hole in the bottom of the wall in my office. The bathtub for the main bathroom is on the other side of that wall. I *really* don't like what I saw of the bottom of the studs, not to mention why the drywall was soft there. To be fair, I knew it's a problem - the tile has literally pulled loose from the wall at one point in there. The best part, though, is that I patched the hole because I spotted the rear end end of a rat in my office, and I'm pretty sure that's where they're getting in, coming down the wall from the attic. Wouldn't have been much of a problem until the day after Thanksgiving, when I lost my fuzzy pest protection. :(
Nothing like your house's level of yikes, but several rooms in mine need to be torn down to the studs.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 2, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Just doing some digging to figure out where my beam pockets should go, find the beam under the wall between my bathroom and the area I'm remodeling, good 'old piece of 6"x6" heartwood, should hold everything up nice and good, the face I can see is in excellent shape.

Oh cool my hand just goes through all the rot on the face not visible from the crawlspace.

Coolcoolcoolcoolcool.

Every step forward reveals five more I have to travel on this stupid loving house.

This is why I fear to touch anything in my house, and it's only 56 years old, and of "normal" US suburban construction, much less "logging camp temporary".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

They're from jacking up the front wall of the house, all told I have 4 4 ton and 3 20 ton bottles, and a 1 ton and 3 ton car jacks, all of which were used to jack up the front of the house, which looking back I didn't document very well.

A friend of mine has a similar array from straightening up the handy-Andy-built garage on his property.
Some highlights: The slab has no reinforcement whatsoever. It has cracked down the center, and we curt out a big triangle shaped bit at the vehicle door to pour an actually flat spot for the door to close on (previously, it had hand built double doors. That had been opened and an industrial cooler door slapped on top to make a porch of sorts, for some reason, and another wall built up with a man-door in it at the opening.) The walls had rotted out at the bottom due to soil building up and/or the slab sinking, so the walls had spread and fallen off of the slab. Ideally, the garage should have been razed and rebuilt, but permitting would have been problematic given the rest of his property, so it was remodeled instead. Garage of Theseus. He jacked up the walls using beams added partway up the wall, cut off the bottom of the wall and sistered in a new footer and lower bit. He also had to sister and reinforce most of the roof rafters and such, since they *didn't* use 10' board, but pieced together beams, poorly (natch.) The roof line is hilariously meandering, but it's now solid and dry.
Even better, the house has been added onto in a similar way, from scraps and random crap. He's been working on fixing all that for years, mainly just to keep the place dry, and from falling apart around him. Bumbass decided to "retire" and then ran mostly out of money, so it's slow going. This is the guy who bought my Jeep, and then attracted every lovely driver to hit him somehow. He's an... interesting fellow. He's very thorough and does good work, though. He's the reason my shed is probably built better than my house.

Elviscat posted:

Well it's not burned down exactly. But more of it's burned.

Wait, poo poo, how am I supposed to get upstairs now?

You are no longer protected?

Elviscat posted:

Nonono.

I'm replacing the old, non-insulated stairs with new, shiny super insulated ones, jeeze.

Ah, good.

Elviscat posted:

I dread the plumbing, the reason Lowes is short those parts is they're cannibalizing their plumbing section for bath fixtures.

I hate hate hate plumbing. The potential for disaster is just insanely high. Water always wins.

edit: plumbing so far has cost me more than anything else in my house, including the roof. Mainly the parts I can't do myself (LOTS of digging, as you may have seen in 2019.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Plumbing, along with electrical, is one of those things where I don't trust myself to do more than temporary basics without adult supervision, and so I tend to get someone in to do it. Plus it's probably illegal to do even as little as I do without certifications.

I did get someone else to do it. That's why it cost so much. :shepicide:

edit: but I'm not worried it was done right, either...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

If I ever have to run anything new, it'll be pex all the way, every day.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

You actually use your 14in cutoff? Might just be me but I was very disappointed in mine, I haven't used it since I got my bandsaw.

I'm annoyed that the actual "metal saws" are significantly more expensive than a chop saw, despite running at a slower speed. And you can't put a metal saw blade on the chop saw because of the speed.

Elviscat posted:

My only bandsaw is a broken porta-band, so it's the chopsaw or an angle grinder, angle grinder works fine, but the saw is more repeatable, and makes a more uniform cut.

You, sir, need one of these:
https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Portaband-Tables-Accessories_c_35.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Are you doing this work in sandals rather than steel-toed footwear? :v: Or is that post-work wear?

Proper safety gear is important.

Proper what now? You mean Crocs, right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, specifically the roof was falling off that side.

It's only kinda falling off now.

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

quote:

:perfect:

Genuinely made me laugh.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

I'm spending two days kayaking and camping while my drywall (hopefully) gets hung.

You are a very brave man to leave the drywallers to their own devices.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

Thought I mis-read this at first and then I remembered what thread I was in.

:same:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

I bought lever type hardware for all my doors, because I prefer how it looks and feels.

Tonight this little poo poo made me pay for that asthetic decision by learning how to open them, she's also the reason all my cabinets are permanently open. She's lucky she's so cute.

I installed a lever handle on the door between the kitchen and the garage, mostly to make taking laundry in and out easier. New doggo figured it out by jumping on the door. rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

It's still impressive seeing the changes from when you started to now.

:same: