Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The upshot is, once you adjust your mindset that everything is going to be hosed all the way down, you'll be pleased when you find solid bearing somewhere.

Basically for each project assume it's hosed all the way down. Replacing a light fixture means you need a new ceiling box, wiring to the switch, a new switch, wiring back to the panel, a new breaker, and a new panel. Plus patching drywall, mud and paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

H110Hawk posted:

If you wake up to a bat in your house you're supposed to go get rabies shots immediately. It's 100% fatal, do not pass go, do collect your life insurance. If you found the bat while awake you're probably fine. You should call your doctor immediately.

I did this dance this year and thanks to goons for alerting me. I guess the risk is that it could have bit you in your sleep and you don't know.

Also it was my idiot cats who alerted me to it. They kept loving with a terrified bat in my bedroom window track. Jumping up and playing, jumping down, for longer than I'd like to admit. I figured they would take care of whatever they found. So they got shots too!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I should also mention the worst part of the rabies vaccine. Since it was a Sunday I had to go to the ER for the shot. Which meant I hit my insurance deductible for the year right then. Since it is calendar year based, having it happen in December would be a real kick in the nuts if you didn't hit the deductible already. The vaccine set for round one was $10k alone. The rest were peanuts compared to that.

It didn't matter since I lost my job and insurance like a month later and didn't need any more health care either for the year.

Goddamn the Healthcare here is bad isn't it?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Bust that baby out when your girlfriend comes by.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Goddamn I love this project. Most projects get worse before they look better, that's a given. This one looks worse before it looks worse then it looks better.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The walls, come tumblin down.

Very satisfying project. I both can imagine being in your shoes and enjoying it and also knowing that I really am glad I'm not.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jaded Burnout posted:

How smooth can you get a concrete pour? Is it ever clean enough that you don't need to add a finish layer for a level "ok to wheel things over it" surface?

You almost never lay a finish layer on concrete. Just smooth it out nicely with the right tools. A nice garage floor is a steel trowel finish, your driveway should get a magnesium float and then broom finish for slip resistance, and your modern house gets the steel trowel but then a polish on it with a 30 grit down through finer grit until it's shiny, then sealed.

If anything Elviscat is overconsolidating it and getting all the gravel to the bottom, usually just a once over with the vibrator to bring some cream to the top and infill around the rebar. That top layer is a nice mix of water, cement and sand and you smooth it out like a cake.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

Big pours like garages get a bull float for a nice level surface too.

The key for things like a broom finish is to let the concrete set for a couple hours before hitting it with a broom.

Here's the walkways mid-brooming after being hit with a mag float, they're certainly not a work of art, but it was so nice not having to walk around in mud anymore, and the finish makes them nice and tractiony in the winter.

I don't think I'd trust myself to do the finish work on an exposed slab, I'd probably have it poured by people who know what they're doing.

E: I would've done a better job with the vibrator if I wasn't filming with my other hand :v:

Two things, that looks like a nice job on that pour, I certainly don't mean to rip on your cover job since it seriously doesn't matter and I know you did it for the lols.

Second thing.... That's a lot of hard surface sloping down to your door. And I do mean to rip on you for that. Is there a place for water to go other than the threshold?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hmm, good to know, thanks.

:eyepop:

Aww dang ya got me lol.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I bet that insulation went up quick.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

That sounds uncomfortably like something I said in 2011.

Aww dang. These may be the series of posts that change my mind on pex. I was against it since I don't trust any old plastic at all.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A flex section right at the end of your duct runs, like 5 feet, will provide a quieter system. I don't know how, but I know it does.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

Flexy stuff is good for minimizing vibrations. Is that the air handler end or outlet end?

Is there a good place to get rag joints for flexible sections? Alternately is there a way to make them?

Outlet end. Last 5 feet or so of the run. I mean just straight up flex duct too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh hell yeah. That's good quality subfloor, I'm a little jealous. My recent dumbass realization is that carpentry is a lot of just picking things up off the floor and putting them back down, so I'm quite impressed again with the progress and very sympathetic to the unfinished strip.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I think 32 is just fine. Perhaps you already have furniture you need to verify can go in and out, otherwise it doesn't feel small. Doors are practical in nature but should be proportional to the space. If your rooms are small then 32 will look good.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

Statistics question, you're framing a wall with 16" O.C. studs, there is a 3.500" plumbing stack at position x in that wall, what are the odds that the plumbing stack will be in the way of a stud?

That's right, 90%

(Pencil line is left side of stud)

I insist you put a boca plate on the sill, before you drive a nail into that pipe when you install trim. I think the stats on that are 99% of you hitting it, and it was influenced by my warning you.

It goes up to a full 100% if you reply with nah it'll be fine.

Oh and also you may want to check your drywall layout so you don't put a butt edge against that stud. That'll also be a high percent chance of driving a screw into the pipe.

Edit or gently caress it, line an edge up there at least you'll see the stud.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh God those things. I set one up in my garage to warm up some parts I was painting and it was effective.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Climb up the ladder and pull it up behind you. Pass it down through a window.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

I guess today is the day I finally get myself with the nail gun, forgot I switched to 3 ¼ galvanized sinkers and put my hand somewhere stupid.

So I got a nice ¼ puncture right under my index finger.
:grovertoot:

Oh drat. I was using my nail gun in less than ideal conditions today, I'm surprised I didn't join you. Also glad it was mild.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was about halfway home with some 12 footers in the flatbed hanging off 4 feet the back when I remembered I have a headache rack.

At least now I have a plan for buying 16' lengths of trim.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

Ok, I give up.

Hell yes. I love those and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had the right project.

Why are you using solid rod for the tread supports and not tubing?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well, too late now to change. Tubing and rods resist bending about equally. That material in the middle doesn't provide much strength.

Edit OK not equally... I found a little calculator online though and 1/8" wall 1 inch tubing resists a 1000lb load at 6 inches with a safety factor of 3, vs a SF of 5 at 1/4" wall vs 10 for a rod. 2" was a hell of a lot stronger, and closer in strength.

I support your drunken design.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 14, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I would absolutely reccomend the general method of truing up that wall. I've put a lot of steel structures up that only become square after the application of wire rope and comealongs. Have good anchors on each side though.

Edit: forgot to say the place looks nice overall. I have contractor vision so bare studs and unfinished work doesn't bother me. That place will clean up nice.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It seems uncomfortable to wear gloves on your toes.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Just checking to see if there's any grilles next to the siding.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Have you been up there before? Is there any treasure?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Are you hanging all of that or did you make the right choice?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Watch out for the teapot in that case.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Slugworth posted:

Someone educate me, I thought heat pumps were not used in areas that got cold enough for snow? I had never seen one until I left the Midwest (and the technology still confuses me, despite me now owning one).

You can supplement them with an electric heating element too, to cover the coldest of days. If the system works well for 9 months and just needs a boost in the winter. That's what we had on a project in Boulder CO. I would like to get one now, and combine it with rooftop solar to reduce my energy usage from the grid and get away from gas. It's a complete reversal of how I felt before I knew about heat pumps.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I had to increase the size of the magnets holding a cabinet door closed because one cat became strong enough to open the old one after a couple years. Little dude has been working out. I can't imagine the chaos if I had levers.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh you'll get it off. It's going from tight to free real quick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Bummer! I came back here to comment that I liked the table too.

It'll bond a little to the MDF but MDF isn't very strong anyway, it'll pull up a small amount of MDF and leave scars.

You can easily repair it by pouring a layer of epoxy on it though.