Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

As someone who's dealt with a stutter all my life I've always hated those attacks. I can see some of my own speech patterns in how Biden sometimes repeats and rephrases and I trip up on some of the same words ("existential").

Part of the reason I started doing Let's Plays was to improve my public speaking abilities, because I'm actually dyslexic and while I don't have a stutter, I do have a tendency to trip over my words, and forcing myself to actually talk in a mildly presentational manner has really helped me, I think. So I empathize entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Goddamn this is best speech he has ever given

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, its been a very good speech to it. it sucks that next week is the 4 day hate of chuds crying and bitching.

It’s going to be a delightful train wreck. Giving those awful speeches with no crowd cheering is going to highlight how insane they are.

The GOP need the in-person convention far more than the Democrats do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
that was genuinly a great speech. holy gently caress. i did not expect something that great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, that was a hell of a landing stick. Bring on the debates I guess, I don't think Trump can really stand up to this if Joe brings that level of fire to them.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Oh thank god it was ok

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The post speech standing around is so loving weird with nobody there

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
That was a good speech.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

The post speech standing around is so loving weird with nobody there

Weird as poo poo, but a welcome sight compared to the alternative at the moment.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Speech was not for us, especially with god protectin' our troops, but I think normal people will like it. He messed up a couple words, but it was a long speech so I don't know if they disrupted the flow all that much cause you knew what he was going for. I think it had been being worked on for a while, because "are you ready" is a crowd line that I think would've landed cause it was right after the fantasy hero stuff about hope being greater than fear and light being greater than darkness. Which I admit made me go "yeah man" cause it's always been a thing I want to believe even though it's hard to keep thinking it.

I think he did well.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
I counted sixteen American flags behind Biden. I expect Trump to have double that amount and that he will hug them all.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh good, he's got a responsibly socially distanced crowd and fireworks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually don't think of speeches as being where Biden is particularly strong, but that was a really good speech.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Really nice to see Biden put a little anger into his words.

Also, he can complete full sentences. He wins by default.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I will accept fireworks as a substitute for the giant balloons.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Michelle Obama nailed the start, and Biden stuck the landing.

The convention delivered some feel good moments and didn’t give the GOP any freebies to latch on to.

Not sure how much of a convention bump Biden will get since these virtual conventions don’t seem to have the same reach. The biggest thing was to not have a gently caress up of any sort, since the GOP is struggling to land their attacks, and the Democrats passed that test.

The glowing reviews of the speech is really going to cut into the Trump’s senile argument, and it really raises the stakes for the GOP convention.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1296649419895513088?s=19

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/1296645932121956353?s=20

This is a good point. It's like below-Palin levels of low expectations.

Biden stutters a bit but he'll string together full sentences and Trump will come off a raging lunatic.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Terrible speech. Not once did he mention sharks or the danger they pose to every american

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
People have been saying Biden lost his fastball. I guess maybe he got Tommy John surgery.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

JT Jag posted:

People have been saying Biden lost his fastball. I guess maybe he got Tommy John surgery.

He just paints the corners now :shobon:

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
Uh, did you see that speech? Trump is going to STRIKE OUT! Yeah!!!!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mostly Lurking posted:

Uh, did you see that speech? Trump is going to STRIKE OUT! Yeah!!!!

Is this a gimmick

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MadJackal posted:

https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/1296645932121956353?s=20

This is a good point. It's like below-Palin levels of low expectations.

Biden stutters a bit but he'll string together full sentences and Trump will come off a raging lunatic.

I thought for a while that that was an absolutely lunatic approach to take. They should've been setting him up as highly experienced and therefore difficult to beat because he'll be so slick and clever. Instead they literally made being able to speak a full sentence the threshold he had to surpass, and he could easily do that.

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008

Grondoth posted:

Is this a gimmick

I'm sorry. Can I not be excited about getting Trump out of office? Someone made a baseball reference and I played off it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mostly Lurking posted:

I'm sorry. Can I not be excited about getting Trump out of office? Someone made a baseball reference and I played off it.

Seeing enthusiasm is not something I am used to on these forums, I had assumed you were being sarcastic.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Pick posted:

I thought for a while that that was an absolutely lunatic approach to take. They should've been setting him up as highly experienced and therefore difficult to beat because he'll be so slick and clever. Instead they literally made being able to speak a full sentence the threshold he had to surpass, and he could easily do that.

That would require buy in from Trump that he would need to play the underdog and there is no way in hell he would go for that. He wouldn’t even sell Austin’s Stone Cold Stunner :sad:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Amy_Siskind/status/1296662315312582656?s=20

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TyrantWD posted:

Michelle Obama nailed the start, and Biden stuck the landing.

The convention delivered some feel good moments and didn’t give the GOP any freebies to latch on to.

Not sure how much of a convention bump Biden will get since these virtual conventions don’t seem to have the same reach. The biggest thing was to not have a gently caress up of any sort, since the GOP is struggling to land their attacks, and the Democrats passed that test.

The glowing reviews of the speech is really going to cut into the Trump’s senile argument, and it really raises the stakes for the GOP convention.

id say the reach was alot bigger and the normies seem to loving love it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The kid's speech beforehand priming the low info audience for stuttering and reframing the issue was brilliant work. The kid has a target painted on him now, though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Discendo Vox posted:

The kid's speech beforehand priming the low info audience for stuttering and reframing the issue was brilliant work. The kid has a target painted on him now, though.

I thought the same as soon as that segment began. It was a very smart play.

Also, that speech loving slapped. I am astonished at how good it was. It's a great narrative to have going into the weekend and as a foil for expectations of Trump's performance at the RNC.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the GOP convention is going to blow all kinds of rear end. There will be no talk of unity; it'll just be all "hurrrrr Sleepy Joe has dementia amirite", talking up MyPillow and Goya beans, and a bunch of shitheads getting their one last shot at owning the libs. I'm not even gonna hatewatch it. It'll give me high blood pressure.

The lovely thing is we have at least four more years of this poo poo to look forward to even if the chuds fail to steal the election and likely much longer. Probably the only thing that will really let them memory hole Trump is some borderline rational Republican somehow getting the nomination and then actually winning. Bush has already been memory-holed and Romney is an un-person to them. Reagan’s too far back in the rearview. There’s only one object of strong daddy worship around for them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

I thought it was basically bait for Trump to be a gross rear end in a top hat about it and everyone's tired of that poo poo

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
It's as disgusting as them mocking our serving (or served) military members such as Tammy Duckworth who did their duty for America abroad and for what they were asked to do! Disgusting. The kid is strong like Duckworth and will help get this anti-American joke out of office.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't scream as much into the void about how much Biden sucks as some people, but he was my dead last choice (well, except maybe for Mayo Cheat) and my substantive expectations of a Biden presidency are fairly low.

I say that to say this: Biden's speech was real good and basically hit all the high points for why Trump needs to gently caress off forever. He's clearly nowhere near the dotard Fox News (or the nuttier lefties, for that matter) kept trying to paint him as.

It definitely helps that Trump set the bar so low that Biden acting like a normal human makes him seem like some kind of Cyber-FDR with the racism glands removed.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's the most impressive speech Joe has had this entire campaign and it's still a forgettable second rate stump speech that any Democratic pol would give, except the part about his kids being dead. He still sounds like he's slurring his words half the time and "American Darkness" is just a rephrasing of "American Carnage". But I guess Dems gotta fall in love every election cycle.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Biden's speech was good, but not The Best Speech Ever Made By A Candidate. It did what it had to do - show a promising vision of the future, and remind people that Trump is terrible.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Edward Mass posted:

Biden's speech was good, but not The Best Speech Ever Made By A Candidate. It did what it had to do - show a promising vision of the future, and remind people that Trump is terrible.

A pretty decent empathetic speech to the nation in prime time is going to look like a historic masterstroke for the ages when it directly follows four long years of the idiotic hateful poo poo Trump has been belching out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It was a really good speech, I did *not* expect to find it as compelling as I did.