Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Happy Landfill posted:

They also gave me this ribbon for my badge :3:

So the link on that ribbon goes to an actual site, which is about what you'd probably expect. Also I finally got Rickrolled for the first time ever from a link on there, something I have managed to avoid all these years through extreme indifference to clicking random Youtube links and also being generally an unpopular nerd. Those bastards finally got me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The keys and key-ring are a nice touch that I don't think I've seen before in other cosplay pictures or fanart.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

disposablewords posted:

Also I finally got Rickrolled for the first time ever from a link on there, something I have managed to avoid all these years through extreme indifference to clicking random Youtube links and also being generally an unpopular nerd. Those bastards finally got me!

Holy poo poo I missed that. Excellent work, ladies :golfclap:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
what on earth

well that's certainly not what i expected

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

you really think someone would do that?

discover a way to attain perfect lyctorhood and just lie?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

there was also apparently this Wake cosplay at Sakuracon as well and I'm upset that I missed seeing her in person

:catstare:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Started back on Nona and am delighted by the existence of in-universe YA novels about precocious Sixth House youths who solve problems with logic.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You've read the mysterious lab, right?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

silvergoose posted:

You've read the mysterious lab, right?

The Mysterious Study

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ugh yes, sorry

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nona spoilers:

“One, that’s not going to work. Two, I loving hate needles,” said the corpse. “Three—Sex Pal, if that’s how you get a lady’s pants off, holy poo poo, no wonder I stole your girl.”

Palamedes rocked back on his heels.

“Not my girl. Unlike some of us, I’ve never much seen the allure of an evil cougar,” he said crisply. “Good morning, Gideon.”

When you return the spike.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

My wife did a Harrow art and I think it’s pretty neat.

https://www.tumblr.com/mariellavee/747788118386704384/hi-tumblr-its-been-redacted-years-that-i?source=share

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wow that is loving OUTSTANDING

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr Teatime posted:

My wife did a Harrow art and I think it’s pretty neat.

You ain't wrong friend.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

That looks like the art in some Gideon the Ninth Tarot deck!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tell your wife she did amazing work.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

That's amazing.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

This popped up on my tumblr feed! Amazing!!!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hello, yes, I would like to exchange money in return for art. I doubt you’re selling the original but I can get my hopes up.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

how much did ianthe pay for this

i hope it was a lot and your wife changed out the price tag so she paid triple

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kesper North posted:

how much did ianthe pay for this

i hope it was a lot and your wife changed out the price tag so she paid triple

Honestly I feel like Ianthe is infinitely scammable so this makes sense.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ok fine if Ianthe got the first edition I can't fight that sort of wealth. I still want a print though!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Anyways

Harrow at a Gala -

https://twitter.com/parakeetnebula/status/1779949324383949168

mewse
May 2, 2006

Incredible

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
hello i've read these books but I only just now discovered that there was a place for them i love every character even Jod that prick and I am melting waiting for alecto to come out

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly I feel like Ianthe is infinitely scammable so this makes sense.

This is essentially stated in the text. I was directly referencing The Unwanted Guest, in which Palomedes and Ianthe discuss her scammability:

The Unwanted Guest by Tamsyn Muir posted:

IANTHE: I am my ambitions, Sextus. This is why I am a Lyctor, and why Harry, although a halfassed and self-defeating specimen, is a Lyctor, and why you are a little bag of bones. She and I both understand that the goal is always worth the cost. If it's not, you ought to find a better goal.

PALAMEDES: You must be very popular with salespeople.

IANTHE: Because I'm obscenely wealthy and have exquisite taste?

PALAMEDES: Because you never stop to check the price tag. You just pay whatever's asked, up front, and walk away. If you came into my shop, I'd charge you triple for everything, and you'd be too careless even to notice I'd swapped the labels.

IANTHE: Whereas if you came into my shop, you'd try to haggle over pennies, and I'd have security throw you out of a hatch... The cost is the cost, you purse-mouthed little sophist. In the end blood always has to be shed, and you only demean yourself by fussing over how much.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Thanks for the appreciation. She’s working on a Gideon to pair with it and originally they were being done for a convention so she should have prints if people want them. I’ll drop Gideon in here when she’s done if folks are interested and I’ll give any info if someone did want a print then.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
just want to know has the Tumblr TLT artist known as "civetside" been posted here yet because her chibi art is great

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mr Teatime posted:

if folks are interested and I’ll give any info if someone did want a print then.

Prints of both please. I'd PM you but you have them disabled. Guessing they're all digitally created? Because otherwise my offer to buy the original was legit

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

M_Gargantua posted:

Prints of both please. I'd PM you but you have them disabled. Guessing they're all digitally created? Because otherwise my offer to buy the original was legit

Same

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think one of my favorite things about Palamedes (who isn't my favorite character because he's not one of the leading ladies but like, he's up there) is how amazing he is at throwing down a winning hand with panache and flair and a total verbal smackdown (see: "I can't stand when people assume" at Judith, then "you're going to die vomiting your lungs out thinking your reasons were interesting" at Cytherea and then the entirety of The Unwanted Guest's finale)

I saw it pointed out that it tracks with him being raised on a giant planet-sized university and Academic Culture TM

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kesper North posted:

This is essentially stated in the text. I was directly referencing The Unwanted Guest, in which Palomedes and Ianthe discuss her scammability:

I don't think this is really evidence of scammability so much as the fact that she is, as she said, obscenely wealthy and disdainful of bargaining. She'll pay the price or she'll walk away, but she's not going to lower herself to haggling. If you just outright told her that she's an rear end in a top hat and you hate her and you're charging her triple, she'd probably just pay the increased price and make a comment about charity to the poor.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
She's also not wrong, from a certain perspective. Particularly when the cost of something isn't money, but the "price" is what has to be "paid" as a consequence of your actions. Sometimes the price is the price.

In this instance she's wrong, because I think it's about the cost of becoming a Lyctor, but the general point isn't totally incorrect.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 17, 2024

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I agree with Ianthe's point that the cost is the cost, the choice is a yes or no, and you shouldn't get bogged down in tiny degrees of value.
However, when the cost is someone else's eternal soul you don't really get to make that choice for them.

Also, I am going to buy one of those Harrow prints when they're available.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Danhenge posted:

She's also not wrong, from a certain perspective. Particularly when the cost of something isn't money, but the "price" is what has to be "paid" as a consequence of your actions. Sometimes the price is the price.

In this instance she's wrong, because I think it's about the cost of becoming a Lyctor, but the general point isn't totally incorrect.

Well yes these are such great characters because they are acting rationally according to their viewpoint.

"She and I both understand that the goal is always worth the cost. If it's not, you ought to find a better goal."

Palamedes did find another goal, and didn't use the flawed lyctoral process to eat Camilla's soul, this is why he finds Ianthe so foolish

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the main problem with Ianthe's formulation is that it assumes perfect knowledge of the goal, the cost, and the consequences, which in real life you never get to have, which is how you wind up committing to a goal and choosing to pay the cost, and then the goal keeps getting moved further in the future while the cost mounts up and up, to a point where you probably wouldn't have agreed to it if you'd known how much it was actually going to be at the time.

As Ianthe discovers to her cost shortly after the conversation quoted, when she realizes that she's paid for more than she realized and will have to keep paying, forever.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
I need Palamedes and Gideon/Harrow/idk doing a version of "the cost is on the can though????" from Atlanta stat.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

We don't really know whether or not Ianthe and Naberius understood what they were doing when Ianthe ate him.
They were raised at the top of the third house, fully indoctrinated into the cult. Naberius was told from a very young age that he existed to do what Ianthe wanted. We even see Ianthe eat part of him while they're all trying to raise Magnus and Abigail.
Maybe they knew what was going on. Maybe Naberius felt he was doing his sworn duty. We probably know Ianthe sees it as just taking what's hers and doesn't give it another thought.
Right and wrong are subjective and relative to society. We live in world where eating someone is wrong, and I agree with this, but Ianthe does not.

I'm really curious what's going to happen in Alecto and what Tamsyn's overall mission statement is for the series. There's so much here about Christianity and indoctrination and abuse and bad relationships but I don't know if she's trying to make a statement, exorcising her lovely past or just poo poo posting and having a laugh. Probably all of the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Skrillmub posted:

I'm really curious what's going to happen in Alecto and what Tamsyn's overall mission statement is for the series. There's so much here about Christianity and indoctrination and abuse and bad relationships but I don't know if she's trying to make a statement, exorcising her lovely past or just poo poo posting and having a laugh. Probably all of the above.

I think she has positioned Jod as the great villain and the end game for the series is Jod dies, dominicus explodes, the houses are annihilated. Necromancy dies out without Jod, blood of eden and the rest of non-house humanity survives