Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh my god please tell me that Harrow is not written mostly or entirely in second person.

I had no idea how much that triggered me until I read the first page and recoiled in horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

silvergoose posted:

Mebbe half. I still don't get the hate from folks on that, though.

Yeah. I didn’t know I hated until I ran into it.

I don’t think I’ve read a second person book since my last Choose Your Own Adventure.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh my god please tell me that Harrow is not written mostly or entirely in second person.

I had no idea how much that triggered me until I read the first page and recoiled in horror.

Past me was an idiot. Harrow was one hell of a book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It was the continued references to The Fifth Season that convinced me to give Harrow another chance. I loved The Fifth Season, a lot. A whole hell of a lot. And I figured if I could deal with its limited second-person-present-tense PoV, I could suck it up and deal with it in Harrow.

It took me a good 150+ pages to get used to it though. The sheer weirdness of these Locked Tomb books just compounded the issues I have with second-person-present-tense.

I'll re-read both Gideon and Harrow when Nona comes out. I'll be ready for it this time.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Gideon's sunglasses. They're pitch-perfect for her character.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This series is weird, but I love it so very much. There's a part of my brain that seizes on clues and half-truths and context-less details, then tries really hard to fill in the gaps. These books are like mainlining heroin into that part of my brain. I run into something that does this to me every few years, at best, so it's absolutely lovely that there's a whole god drat series of books that do it.

Nona the Ninth is just as obtuse and weird as the others in the series, and I love it so very much

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Humerus posted:

Nona Spoilers Relating to Gideon's Soul Speculation:

I do think some of Gideon's Soul is still in Harrow's body, both during the events of Nona and once Alecto is back in her body. Remember when Nona had her tantrum, Palamedes (iirc) said she wielded the chair leg exactly like a two handed sword, and Kiriona only used a rapier. Also Nona seems to have Gideon's humor and Kiriona seems to lack some of Gideon's better qualities in general. I wonder if John, knowing Gideon's Soul was in Harrow's body, tried to rip it out and didn't get all of it. Maybe since Alecto was also there she helped anchor some of Gideon's Soul in the body?

We know from Earth/Alecto that someone doesn't need a whole soul, because John only ate some of Earth's soul and the rest is walking around. So partial soul fragments can live on and have their own deal.

Joddamn it now we have to pay attention to half-souls wandering around? The shell game is rigged!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Happy Landfill posted:

I've had this image in my head of a Locked Tomb manga that has an art style that's a mix Tatsuki Fujimoto (chainsaw man) and Ai Yazawa (Nana). A good mix of styles that can be weird and violent but also have a strong sense of introspection and character. Or something like that. Chainsaw Man vibes are a definite Must, though.

The art style of Kill Six Billion Demons is the correct vibe, IMO.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Entropic posted:

My only strongly held GTN fancast opinion is that Aiglamene should be played by Shohreh Aghdashloo.

She should play every older badass woman. I absolutely love her presence in everything she appears in.

She just exudes that “I know, dear, have a cookie while grandma makes everything better *cocks pistol*” vibe.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

loving Ted Faro. I’ve never hated someone in a video game as much as him.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Get busy tryin' and get busy dyin'.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I can fix her.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dawgstar posted:

There were a few at GenCon as well. Also a Jod but sadly nobody knew who he was except my GtN-reading friend who went.

Why should they know? He’s only god.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FuturePastNow posted:

This was posted in the OSHA thread but it made me think of this series:

https://twitter.com/atters1000/status/1691749164386779308

Don't pet the skulls, Gideon

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A little bit of Ianthe in our lives
Oh my god she gives me hives
A little bit of Gideon is what I need
She’ll pick me up and make me bleed

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bravesword posted:

John is a human being trying to be god. He just sucks at it, because human beings can’t be god, no matter how much power they accumulate. This is a pretty straightforward reading in my mind — being strong enough to quash any dissent doesn’t give you any moral authority, and indeed, John is morally bankrupt, because it’s the only justification he’s got.

John’s primary motivation is that he wants things to be easy. He’ll act like a normal, overwhelmed guy if that makes things easier, and he’ll act like unknowable, almighty God if that makes things easier, but it’s foolish to believe either one is real. We’re dealing with a person who would lie to you about the time of day if it made him feel better for ten seconds.

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely," applies to previously corrupted souls, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

C-Euro posted:

Oops wrong chapter on my part, Chapter 3 has these-

Way-too-early (and potentially mutually exclusive) called shots:

1. This book is about Harrow processing her grief around Gideon's death ("death"?). Denial being the first stage, these early chapters involve imagining that Ortus died in GtN instead of Gideon.

2. The bits that are in second person are either contents of some of Harrow's letters, or Gideon's spirit narrating events as they unfold. Or maybe the Body? Our girl Harrow's got some problems.

The dotted line is a (really obnoxious, IMO) feature on Kindle that shows you what OTHER people have highlighted. For some reason.

I don't even highlight my own goddamn books, I don't want to know what 1000 other people did.