Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Non Fiction DragonBall Book
Goku
Ryu
Joke Answer
Toaster
View Results

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
We are in desperate need of a new Non-Fiction Thread, and I believe this is it.

Non-fiction is the branch of literature comprising works of narrative prose dealing with or offering opinions or conjectures upon facts and reality, including biography, history, and the essay (opposed to fiction and distinguished from poetry and drama). But I don't have to tell you guys that, we are all smart adults here.

Lets get to the good stuff, this thread is for discussing and recommending Non-Fiction books. This is a broad category so all are welcome.

Some of my personal favorite non-fiction authors/books are:

The Black Swan: Second Edition: The Impact of the Highly Improbable: With a new section: "On Robustness and Fragility" - Nassim Nicholas Taleb (really anything by him)
Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game - Michael Lewis (again anything by him)
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America - Erik Larson (again anything by him)
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith - Jon Krakauer (duh)

There are numerous others:

Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup
The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron
Too Big to Fail: The Inside Story of How Wall Street and Washington Fought to Save the Financial System--and Themselves

Seriously, I can't name all of them. Please feel free to recommend some, post what you like, seriously, ANYTHING Non-Fiction!

Anything you wanted added to the OP please let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oliver Sacks is another amazing non-fiction writer. just absolutely incredible.

https://www.oliversacks.com/

Migraine
Awakenings
A Leg to Stand On
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat
Seeing Voices: A Journey Into the World of the Deaf
An Anthropologist on Mars
The Island of the Colorblind
Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood
Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain
The Mind's Eye
Hallucinations
On the Move: A Life (2015) (second autobiography)
Gratitude (2015) (published posthumously)
The River of Consciousness
Everything in Its Place: First Loves and Last Tales (2019)

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A really good read that came out this year:

Uncanny Valley: A Memoir by Anna Wiener - Exposing the seamy underbelly of Silicon Valley, this memoir recounts Anna Wiener’s experience as an ambitious Millennial who abandoned a publishing career in New York City to pursue a lucrative life in San Francisco during the peak of the tech boom. Based on her time working at three startups over the course of four years, Uncanny Valley offers a warts-and-all look at Wiener’s life in the Bay Area, surrounded by egotistical tech bros backed by millions of dollars in funding. The book also explains how once Wiener witnessed the sinister side of tech, she began to view her own skills in a different light, allowing her to abandon her high-paying job and find more meaningful work.