Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Non Fiction DragonBall Book
Goku
Ryu
Joke Answer
Toaster
View Results

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Bumping this thread because it is good to learn and I like non-fiction books. Things I have read recently and not too recently:

Surprise, Kill, Vanish by Anne Jacobson.
A book about a fun and light subject, the history of assassinations that the CIA has had a part in. It starts in WW2, talking about the covert action groups that eventually became the CIA. From there it goes through the decades, detailing some of the various clandestine actions that were taken against all sorts of people, groups, regimes, and so on. It's interesting stuff, though obviously it's only able to say so much because the vast majority of this stuff will never be reported on.

Narconomics: How To Run a Drug Cartel by Tom Wainright.
This was a very interesting book. It's about how different the economics and logistics of running large criminal enterprises can be compared to how they are portrayed in movies and on TV. There are humorously mundane examples of common business problems, like human resource and customer service issues, and shows how the problems got solved in ways that were very much customer-friendly when based on the fiction we consume, we'd have expected a group of assassins instead.

Hiroshima by John Hersey
Hiroshima follows 6 people who survived the bombing of Hiroshima, taking us from the start of their mornings, through the explosion and the following day, and then their experiences as more months go by. This is one of the first examples of "New Journalism", where fiction story-telling techniques are used to report the story. It is a quick read, and I would say an important book that should be at the top of everybody's list.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU