Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hell Yeah posted:

thread full of ppl who hate a thing they know every detail about. hmm.

Know Your Enemy, my dude.

Gologle posted:

You seem like a man who would enjoy some Michael Moorcock

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

All corporate fiction sucks. None of it is good.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Empty Sandwich posted:

I don't even know what that is and so would never impugn its fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jgrCKhxE1s

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Actually it's the best work ever put to paper

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Fastball LIVE in concert posted:

Dragonlance is good only because it inspired this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIdzJnbUb5g

On the other hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSlmpDQIH8

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Spazzle posted:

I only read punk fiction written on the bridge by local drug afficionadoes

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

If weary travelers should visit THE INN OF THE LAST HOME make sure to try OTIK'S SPICED POTATOES

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

I only read punk fiction written on the bridge by local drug afficionadoes

Living the dream. I can only hope you are drunk/high when you are at it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
You don't give a poo poo about the annoying klepto pedo halflings. Understood.

But what of the enemies? Oh poo poo, it's time for the

Draconians

So there are no dragons now. None. Bupkis. But and so yet still the major enemies (the orc standins) are... draconians.

Draconians are made from the eggs of good dragons, which there aren't any of, bc science.

I don't know why they are loving everywhere and are the generic opponent, but I can tell you the following: each draconian that dies does so in a spectacular way. Let's start with the grunts. They're the effective orcs, here. I'll quote again from that thing:

the goddamn wiki thing posted:

With small wings Baaz are able to flap their wings allowing them to run very fast intimidating their enemies. Baaz draconians turn to stone upon their deaths, usually trapping any weapons left inside the dying body there.

If you're using a sword (objectively and subjectively the best D&D weapon), that sword is gonna get stuck in the stone guts of the lazy reptilian orc standin that just lives here.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Empty Sandwich posted:

gently caress I forgot about the space gnomes. But they were luckier than us... they got away from Dragonlance.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Spazzle posted:

Does My Work is Not Yet Done by Ligotti count?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Turning into stone when you die has to be the dumbest special ability ever lmao

Now the memories start flowing back, wasn't there a whole continent of weaboo minotaurs swinging katanas

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

Empty Sandwich posted:

Let's start there:

The Campaign

Hickman and his wife had an idea. "Dragonlance," they said. "What if Dragonlance?"

And then just after that, TSR said, "Hey... what if indeed Dragonlance?" And they paired Hickman with Weis.

But the way they wrote the novels was by running a goddamn Dungeons & Dragons campaign. Every character is therefore a kind of Mary Sue.

But it's worse than that. Have you ever set foot inside a game store? If you have, then I'm sure that some cheerful but unpleasant guy has buttonholed you to tell you about his character in his favorite game.

This is the entirety of everything in Dragonlance. And they're not just telling you about their own characters. They're telling you about the other players' characters, like Raistlin, mentioned above but I have to work up to him for reasons involving both research and anger management.

And it's still worse than that. These stories sold millions of copies. These adventures sold... whatever a whole bunch of copies is a lot for adventures. There were computer games, sorta.

Large chunks of America, perhaps large chunks of the world, were paying money to read a Cliff's Notes version of a group of people's epic D&D campaign.

This explains so drat much.

How many woman characters would be so drop dead gorgeous that entire towns would stop everything whenevet they arrived? I can remember the lady who became the first cleric and the one who became an Elven general.

Oh yeah, Tannis. "Man, I can never decide between these two smoking hot babes"

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

LOL the dude co-creator's name is Tracy, what a loving nerd

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I regret all Dragonlance I read. Every word.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Numlock posted:

Some Dragonlance highlights I half remember from when I was 10 and read these garbage novels.

The island of sexy ogres that never have sex but are so smoking hot you’d like try to instantly rape one if you saw them.

A demon powered steamroller that wanted to turn every sentient creature into road kill.

A dude loving a Kinder because he was into kids and the kinder had a giant fetish I guess.

Edit: I think there is a novel were a dwarf fucks a dwarf with Down syndrome too.

Lot of loving.

I only read the two original trilogies, and reading this made me very glad.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh now I realize the thread gimmick i am a fool

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I want to know the op’s thoughts on gully dwarves.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

why did you remind me those loving EXIST

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Black August posted:

why did you remind me those loving EXIST

Because Dragonlance sucks.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
dragonlance was a good custom map on starwars brood war, it was dope

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

There's nothing wrong with a whole race of r-worded dwarfs, at least it breaks Tolkien's mold

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Nigmaetcetera posted:

As did the other poster, I straight-up forgot about those guys. But ugh. I'll get to them. Unless I give up in disgust.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
They named the half-elf guy Tanis Half-Elven

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

And there was a manchild elf prince who wasn't secretly a manchild but a leader of la resistance who only pretended to be a manchild to fool his evil scheming vizier who just happened to be a dragon

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Tika had some big ol’ human tiddies and they had trouble finding armor for her

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Raistlins large adult brother became a fat sad alcoholic but then they just had to send him back in time to go to a fake gladiator fat camp

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

oh poo poo there’s a whole wiki all about kender

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Kender represent a Mormon caricature of communist hobbite

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Raistlin is the mascot of toxic nerdery and the wizard supremacy that has damaged so many editions of the game:
-totally self-serving
-physically weak, yet more powerful than everyone
-looks weird and a social outcast
-has dumb jock brother that he passively aggressively harasses and also secretly envies
-incel
-etc

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's the point of being a wizard tho. Wizards that gently caress are a blight upon the genre, all magic users aside from clerics are obsessed weirdo losers

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Draconians, but more so

Let's have another drink from the font:

that wiki again posted:

While bozaks are not as gifted as their aurak cousins, their arcane mastery is still quite formidable.

The second most powerful not-an-orc, who comes from dragon eggs that... where are the dragons again? And how many bad guys come from the good eggs?

Haha, I'm just kidding. No answers exist to these reasonable questions. Anyway, they're named after 80s West Coast slang for the scrotum. I'd accuse the creative team of slipping one over on TSR, but no. One half is Mormon; the other half came up with the Dragonlance setting.

All I can do is flaccidly link to the Digital Underground song that most frequently says bozack; you might also refer to various Achewood comics:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtc8xMnPf1U

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

doesn't touching raistlin also suck the life out of you too, or am I misremembering that?

Like his deal with the devil for his magic that gave him the eyes and skin make him such a drag that even willingly touching him bums you out?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Steel pieces as currency? gently caress that poo poo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I thought he was just a nerd who meddled with things no mortals wot of and became even shittier as a result.

Tbh I don't think I ever read the original novels, just the series titled dragons of *some celestial body* I think and the ones where they go back in time and a gully dwarf almost fucks raistlin

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Dragonlance sucked so much that Takhisis packed up and left Krynn and moved to Forgotten Realms and started loving that up instead.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

They named the half-elf guy Tanis Half-Elven

Yes. :eng99:

I know that people say this often online, but this literally brought tears to my eyes. (The bad tears, in case I somehow haven't yet been clear.)

Colonel Cancer posted:

Kender represent a Mormon caricature of communist hobbite

I am thoroughly critiquing everything about Dragonlance and I cannot even handle this right now. Please give us more. Holy poo poo.

CPA Hell posted:

Raistlin is the mascot of toxic nerdery and the wizard supremacy that has damaged so many editions of the game:

You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Did they ever find the Dragonlance? I don't remember if they found the Dragonlance. Now that I think back to it, I don't really recall the Really Obvious D&D Characters Adventuring Party searching for a Dragonlance at all. There was definitely no big, dramatic conclusion when they finally got the dragonlance. In fact, I don't think they were questing for the dragonlance at all. That was just the setting name.

Which is weird, because I 100% read a Richard Knaak prequel book about the origin of the Dragonlance.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I don't have anything else to add about kenders they were barely featured in the books I read as a child :shrug:

But given the writers backgrounds one can only imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

I thought he was just a nerd who meddled with things no mortals wot of and became even shittier as a result.

Tbh I don't think I ever read the original novels, just the series titled dragons of *some celestial body* I think and the ones where they go back in time and a gully dwarf almost fucks raistlin

no he has ..a lot going on.

I'd say spoiler alert but its not like anyone is seriously gonna check it out. He ends up becoming literal Super Sauron The Magic Rap God Of All Time and he and his stupid brother tag team some poo poo that I don't remember but he's still "woah is me'ing" it up even as he's Immortal Power God Guy.