Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm pretty sure they used a lance to kill some dragons so idk maybe the real Dragonlance were all the friends they made along the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Caramon and Raistlin became Thor and Loki and starred in their own blockbuster film franchise

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Lmao Cardamom is such a dumbass name

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm glad someone mentioned not remembering anything climactic really because even though it's been for freaking ever since I read these I still only remember them just journeying forever and none of the actual 'boss fights' in any of the stories. Like..any of them.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Big Beef City posted:

doesn't touching raistlin also suck the life out of you too, or am I misremembering that?

I don't even remember. But reading the books sure gave me that feeling.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Steel pieces as currency? gently caress that poo poo

It is amazing how much I've forgotten about Dragonlance in my dotage.

Points to them for innovation, minus double points for using modern fiat currency ideas but dumber.

Colonel Cancer posted:

I thought he was just a nerd who meddled with things no mortals wot of and became even shittier as a result.

Tbh I don't think I ever read the original novels, just the series titled dragons of *some celestial body* I think and the ones where they go back in time and a gully dwarf almost fucks raistlin

I don't doubt it, so great are the crimes of Weis and Hickman.

Kharnifex posted:

Dragonlance sucked so much that Takhisis packed up and left Krynn and moved to Forgotten Realms and started loving that up instead.

Good for her! She needed a better class of protagonist.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Ah yes "boss fights" really define what is and isn't a worthy piece of literature.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fastball LIVE in concert posted:

Dragonlance is good only because it inspired this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIdzJnbUb5g

tbh "x is only good because it inspired a blind guardian song" might as well be a genre, and I don't even like power metal.

The live version of that song is bananas.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Big Beef City posted:

I'm glad someone mentioned not remembering anything climactic really because even though it's been for freaking ever since I read these I still only remember them just journeying forever and none of the actual 'boss fights' in any of the stories. Like..any of them.

This too. I seem to recall a lot of “now that we’ve set this in motion the problem will sort itself out!”-type conclusions.

Also on Raistlin: smugly keeping silent and inscrutable instead of helping with the group project

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

I remember lots of big, dramatic stuff from the Knaak Prequel Book about where the Dragonlance first came from. Legend of Huma. That thing.

I also remember it was all really, really stupid. Even worse than all the basically-transcribed-D&D stuff from the main series.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ah yes "boss fights" really define what is and isn't a worthy piece of literature.

...well it's a book about wizards written for children so I mean I'm not setting the bar SUPER high expecting "Hey remember the time the wizard blew up the dragon" to be a major plot point.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Also: like many D&D campaigns, it’s largely cliche, but also there has to be the one rear end in a top hat who refuses to sign the social contract for the campaign’s feel and theme, and instead plays a goofy hobbit re-skinned as childlike, an incomplete moral compass, with kleptomania, a chaotic neutral alignment, and who rolls a d6 every time they encounter a new NPC and on 1-5 tries to steal from them.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

...well it's a book about wizards written for children so I mean I'm not setting the bar SUPER high expecting "Hey remember the time the wizard blew up the dragon" to be a major plot point.

I'm just trying out your gimmick and I gotta give it to you, it sucks!!!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'm pretty sure they used a lance to kill some dragons so idk maybe the real Dragonlance were all the friends they made along the way?

That brings us to the next crime:

The Dragonlances

I don't mean to hold up LotR as like some aspirational thing. It's the progenitor and (for better or for worse) the gold standard. But let's just go by the titles:

The Lord of the Rings: The ring is there from the jump. Heck, it was an afterthought from a kids' book, worked into a fake Bible. The titular Lord is there by implication. These sound like criticisms, but they aren't.

Dragonlance: No dragons are around, except that a nebulous number of good (metallic) dragon eggs have been held back, like so many eggs in whatever early 20th century American farming scandal I'm thinking of but can't successfully Google.

Good eggs make bad dudes: draconians. I've already groused about them, but it really annoys me that every species has a kamikaze death: acid, explosion, petrification, whatever.

Entirely aside from that: no dragons.

And no lances.

What in the hell.

I mean, instead of Dune, let's call it Waterworld, and instead of Star Trek, let's call it That 70s Show.

If it's called Dragonlance, I want to see a Dragonlance even before the Chekhov-mandated third act, even. (Not the Star Trek Chechov, dammit.)

Word is they show up later, but word also is I don't give a poo poo. loving call it No Dragons Right Now. Spoilers, right?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Idk there was definitely at least one, maybe two dragons in the ones I read. One was pretending to be an elf 90% of the time but I think that still counts?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Eberron is a much better setting. Someone asked "What if we took everything about the game and made it slightly different," and then gave it a magical industrial revolution flavor.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I don’t get how kender can remain alive. On any other world they’d be exterminated. I want somebody to write a story about a group of kender who get marooned in Sigil, and their gruesome deaths at the the hands of the Mercykillers after pickpocketing a hardhead. Or better yet, Athas, where they get eaten by psionic plants, or thrown into a gladiator pit and torn apart by thri-kreen, or just die of dehydration and heat stroke.

1001 ways to kill a kender, fun and thrilling.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Tom Gorman posted:

Caramon and Raistlin became Thor and Loki and starred in their own blockbuster film franchise

I like this version much better, frankly.

Big Beef City posted:

Yes. I remember everybody bickering, and I remember the dwarf loving dying of cardiac arrest, which I would spoiler of any of us gave a poo poo, and also what the hell, but I remember gently caress-all else of consequence.

CPA Hell posted:

Also on Raistlin: smugly keeping silent and inscrutable instead of helping with the group project

"Hmmmmmmmm, I am sarcastic, and I emotionally abuse my twin brother who literally keeps me alive. Also, our half-sister is one of the major villains. [smug chuckling]"

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Dang, I don't want to sully anyone's street cred here, but Dragonlance was loving awesome.

Yeah, derivative trite nonsense, but what a cool world and story. I love the fact it was based on nerd's dnd campaign. There were so many cool story elements too.

What was the city, Tsak Soroth or some such that was buried under the mountain, where the heroes journeyed to discover the lost faith of the old god's that could bring clerical healing back to the world? That broken rear end city buried in a massive cavern was totally cool and the journey into it, facing a dragon, was the tits.

And why was it buried? Oh yeah, a bunch of years previous the human priest king in his hubris demanded the gods convey their power to him; and the gods responded by smiting the planet with a huge meteor strike that upended the world and continents, breaking maps and upending civilization for hundreds of years. Yeah that is just some mundane poo poo. Oh yeah, and a nerds journey to become a god himself. Ho loving hum.

Even the fanfics like Legend of Huma were good stories, flushing out the world and its history even more.

I will cede one single point though; the Dragonlance movie/cartoon, with Lucy Lawless as one of the voice actors? That sucked poo poo, hands down. Like no one involved in the production even bothered to crack a single book open.

And if you did not want to hang at the Inn of the Last Home as a kid, I don't know, you are just broken.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Colonel Cancer posted:

Idk there was definitely at least one, maybe two dragons in the ones I read. One was pretending to be an elf 90% of the time but I think that still counts?

poo poo, that sounds vaguely familiar. Is that the dude where he has 7 sparrows flying around him? But hang on

OH FCUK he is a gold dragon and they are 7 silver dragons? I honestly don't remember. That's from some D&D thing.

super sweet best pal posted:

Eberron is a much better setting. Someone asked "What if we took everything about the game and made it slightly different," and then gave it a magical industrial revolution flavor.

I have never played Eberron; I agree with you 100%.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I don’t get how kender can remain alive. On any other world they’d be exterminated. I want somebody to write a story about a group of kender who get marooned in Sigil, and their gruesome deaths at the the hands of the Mercykillers after pickpocketing a hardhead. Or better yet, Athas, where they get eaten by psionic plants, or thrown into a gladiator pit and torn apart by thri-kreen, or just die of dehydration and heat stroke.

1001 ways to kill a kender, fun and thrilling.

I just finished Planescape: Torment, the best computer RPG ever to exist, and it warms my heart to know that nobody from Krynn is in there, and if they were, everybody would be so mad at them they would make them die.

Literally anything could be a portal, but none of them lead to Krynn. The Lady has taste.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Empty Sandwich posted:

poo poo, that sounds vaguely familiar. Is that the dude where he has 7 sparrows flying around him? But hang on

OH FCUK he is a gold dragon and they are 7 silver dragons? I honestly don't remember. That's from some D&D thing.

I have never played Eberron; I agree with you 100%.

I just finished Planescape: Torment, the best computer RPG ever to exist, and it warms my heart to know that nobody from Krynn is in there, and if they were, everybody would be so mad at them they would make them die.

Literally anything could be a portal, but none of them lead to Krynn. The Lady has taste.

The book I read had some kinda burny horse on a cover and there were a bunch of shut-in elves living in a magical dome who were secretly led by a racist green dragon disguised as an elf vizier. I think. It's been maybe 2 decades since I looked at that book

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Internetjack posted:

Even the fanfics like Legend of Huma were good stories, flushing out the world and its history even more.

I'm glad you liked the origin story of the Dragonlance from Dragonlance.

What was your favorite part? Mine was when, after the long and drawn out search for the dragonlance, this one guy showed up with, like, a hundred more dragonlances because it's a buy one, get more free deal.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Empty Sandwich posted:

There was one guy from Krynn, he was a very confused young knight hanging out in a bar with an old hardhead. You have the opportunity to explain to him that he has not traversed the plains, but the planes.

Edit: I think he was from Krynn at least, it’s been a few years.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 21, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I'm glad you liked the origin story of the Dragonlance from Dragonlance.

What was your favorite part?

I remember the anti-hero of the story, the mage that wanted to do right, but was down with shortcuts to power. drat, was his name Magius? That might have been bad. The Staff of Magius was the staff Raistlin was able to claim years later.

Its been a bit, but when Huma earned the lances, he not only got a poo poo-pile of them that had been stockpiled, but also some god-dwarf weapons maker helped teach the Dragonlance craft to modern metal smiths as well. Thus they could make as many as needed. Like I said, its been a bit, I might remember a few bits incorrectly.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Internetjack posted:

I remember the anti-hero of the story, the mage that wanted to do right, but was down with shortcuts to power. drat, was his name Magius? That might have been bad. The Staff of Magius was the staff Raistlin was able to claim years later.

Its been a bit, but when Huma earned the lances, he not only got a poo poo-pile of them that had been stockpiled, but also some god-dwarf weapons maker helped teach the Dragonlance craft to modern metal smiths as well. Thus they could make as many as needed. Like I said, its been a bit, I might remember a few bits incorrectly.

That sounds right, yes. But he definitely had no idea the extra lances were part of the quest. He was questing for just the one, doesn't realize it's not enough to solve his problem until he already has it, and that one guy showing him "AND YOU GET THE WHOLE SET!" is the happy twist that lifts him from this brief lowpoint.

There was also a Knight who is really ugly and creepy and sickly and subverts your expectations by being exactly as evil as he looked this whole time.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 21, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

That sounds right, yes.

There was also a Knight who is really ugly and creepy and sickly and subverts your expectations by being exactly as evil as he looked this whole time.

Yeah, that was Huma's mentor in the Knights of Solomnia. The story builds him as this heroic guardian of justice and then the plot twist of having sold his soul years before comes to the surface at the end. I thought that was just fun story telling.

Also the spellcasting in Legend of Huma was awesome. It wasn't just "lightning bolt, lightning bolt" stuff, it was let's get a huge contingent of dark wizards on the hillside above the battle field where thousands are about to battle, and together our combined might will summon a storm of destruction to wreak havoc upon our enemies, darken the skies, summon a storm of wind and lightning. Yeah, just cliche poo poo here.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Dragonlance rules and Kender rule. Happy-go-lucky kleptomaniacs.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Tracy Hickman named Laurana after his wife, Elizabeth

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Dragonlance never really made sense to me especially Raistlan, was all over the place

I do remember young me reading kaz the Minotaur tho

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also, Tracy Hickman has at least once called his wife Laurana in bed

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Internetjack posted:

I will cede one single point though; the Dragonlance movie/cartoon, with Lucy Lawless as one of the voice actors? That sucked poo poo, hands down. Like no one involved in the production even bothered to crack a single book open.

And if you did not want to hang at the Inn of the Last Home as a kid, I don't know, you are just broken.

I'm totally not trying to gently caress up anybody who enjoyed Dragonlance, but drat am I sorry that you had to see it brought to life. The very very very old D&D cartoon is the only one that sits at all well out of all the non-game media, and that's despite the 80s-mandated rear end in a top hat character (who was played by Don Most, so at least there's that).

Nigmaetcetera posted:

There was one guy from Krynn, he was a very confused young knight hanging out in a bar with an old hardhead. You have the opportunity to explain to him that he has not traversed the plains, but the planes.

Edit: I think he was from Krynn at least, it’s been a few years.

I'm replaying it, so I'll see if I can track him down.

And slay him.

Subversion of expectations in Dragonlance works much as it does in a Rion Johnson Star Wars film. [smokes bubble pipe; coughs a bunch]

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Empty Sandwich posted:

I get it. We all like different things. Different genres of music. Different fast-food restaurant offerings. Different official TSR campaign settings with associated adventure modules and New York Times bestselling novels and short story collections.

Tastes are subjective. One person's 2001 is another person's The Number 23.

I try not to boo when someone cheers, but I'm going lay out my case in a series of posts: Dragonlance sucks.

You're welcome and encouraged to refute support my points. You might also call me an old and degenerate nerd, if you manage to turn on your monitor, but I'd rather hear why you do or don't agree that this sucky IP is sucky.

Let's delve.

I had a Dragonlance-themed game for the Apple IIc, and good god it was bad. It was some kind of fantasy strategy game, but the mechanics made no sense, and the graphics were terrible even by IIc standards: it was like globs of fat pixels marching across the screen, forever. I guess the books were the same way.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Tried reading a.dragonlance novel once and after like 50 pages of Gimli/Legolas banter I noped the gently caress out and clearly made the right decision.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

they’re so loving twee it’s insufferable

just raw cloying fantasy vomit, perverted and self-indulgent about it in the way only truly smug and self-satisfied ivory tower roleplayer nerds love to be with their dessicated idea of fantasy

Woden
May 6, 2006
I'm guessing most of the issues ya'll have with Dragonlance are because Hickman and Weiss are bad writers. There are some cool ideas in there but their writing sucks poo poo.

Did anyone else read their Death Gate Cycle series of books? I never made it to the end, 7 loving books just riddled with bloat. Oh, and they sometimes released two in a year like an inverse GRM.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

My ex insisted that Rastlin could beat Yoda in a fight.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Woden posted:

I'm guessing most of the issues ya'll have with Dragonlance are because Hickman and Weiss are bad writers. There are some cool ideas in there but their writing sucks poo poo.

Did anyone else read their Death Gate Cycle series of books? I never made it to the end, 7 loving books just riddled with bloat. Oh, and they sometimes released two in a year like an inverse GRM.

I remember liking the Death Gate Cycle but I was like 15 and had way more patience back then.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I regretfully read way too many of these books.

quote:

The main storyline of the original Dragonlance series has been written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, with multiple books written by other authors, covering years between and sometimes during the main events.

The Chronicles trilogy relates the events since the meeting of the Companions until the end of the War of the Lance and the defeat of the Dragon armies of Ansalon.
The Legends trilogy covers the Blue Lady's War, as well as the past adventures of Raistlin and Caramon Majere, culminating in Raistlin's attempt to achieve godhood. The books feature time travel, and focus on events in Istar before the Cataclysm, as well as the ensuing Dwarfgate Wars.
The Second Generation is a single compilation book which picks the most important tales from the Tales series and details the children of the Companions, all of whom become players in the later story. This book is considered to be part of the main storyline, as it must be read to understand the events that happened between the War of the Lance and the Chaos War. This novel develops characters that would later be seen in the War of Souls trilogy.
Dragons of Summer Flame covers the Chaos War, also known as the Second Cataclysm. The gods and mortals join forces to defeat Chaos in his attempt to destroy Krynn. The war ends with the withdrawal of Chaos and the gods of Krynn in a divine agreement to keep the world safe.
Dragons of a New Age describes the rise of the Dragon Overlords and introduces the Fifth Age of Dragonlance. It leads into the War of Souls trilogy.
The War of Souls trilogy begins as a strange storm courses through Krynn, heralding the War of Souls. The end of the war brings the return of the gods, Takhisis's death, and the departure of Paladine as head of the good gods in order to maintain the balance between Good and Evil.
The Dark Disciple trilogy follows the death of Takhisis and the departure of Paladine, when the lesser gods strive to maintain dominance.
The Lost Chronicles trilogy is a companion to the original Chronicles. Each book of the trilogy fills in sections of the story previously left untold. It tells the story surrounding the recovery of the Hammer of Kharas,[19] how the Companions retrieve the dragon orb from Ice Wall, how Kitiara Uth Matar and Lord Soth became allies, and how Raistlin Majere took the Black Robes in Neraka.

I think I read up the war of souls crap when I was a kid.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Tracy Hickman named Laurana after his wife, Elizabeth

:thunk:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
This thread is freaking me out. I had totally blocked out ever reading these books and being aware of game tie ins. Every time I hear a name or title or story synopsis chunks of it come back to me like that Amanda Plummer 90's Outer limits episode where she travels in time and each new timeline she creates slams into her mind on top of the original causing cumulative brain damage. The hosed up bit is that apparently Dragonlance was so bad I blocked it from my memory, yet I didn't block the times I got molested.

*I wish I was making a tasteless joke, but I'm not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Even though I hated him, I was a very sad young man when Sturm died.