Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
God I love me some bad fantasy. It's basically all I read from like 7 to my twenties. There is bad fluff and just bad, but I ate that poo poo up.

I reread David Edding's 4 cycles (Belgarion and Sparhwak series) like every other year or so, and I want to reread all of Feist's series as I think he's finally ending it.

My first that I can remember reading was Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series. I read and reread them and my parents took me to the Black Cauldron and I remember being loving pissed. That movie sucked.

Also, I wrote him a letter and he wrote me back and I was over the moon. I still have it somewhere around, I should really scan it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I loved Lloyd Alexander when I was a kid, and in looking for something similar I read the Narnia books, but after the first couple it became a hate-read as Lewis really leaned into blundering around Christian allegories and got more and more boring and incoherent. I have vague memories of Voyage of the Dawn Treader mostly because his obsession with the ocean being sweet just struck me so deeply weird.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Aslan tier: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Magician's Nephew
Good tier: Prince Caspian, Dawn Treader, Silver Chair
poo poo tier: Horse and His Boy, Last Battle

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

super sweet best pal posted:

I think they are all good apart from the last battle, though the horse and his boy is fairly racist in retrospect I guess lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was really young when I read the Chronicles of Narnia and only have vague memories of it, and for that I am glad.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Although it isn't bad but if it had published today, Dracula would surely have been classified as urban fantasy. There is a nice part about halfway through the book when Lucy has been attacked by Dracula for the last time, and as she feels her life draining away she scribbles down on a note what happened that night.

And she scribbles down about 1200 words, with several similes, including one reference to stories from travelers in the desert. It just goes on and on and must have required multiple sheets of paper.

I find that image pretty hilarious, although everyone in that book writes the wordiest diaries in the world.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mooey Cow posted:

Although it isn't bad but if it had published today, Dracula would surely have been classified as urban fantasy. There is a nice part about halfway through the book when Lucy has been attacked by Dracula for the last time, and as she feels her life draining away she scribbles down on a note what happened that night.

And she scribbles down about 1200 words, with several similes, including one reference to stories from travelers in the desert. It just goes on and on and must have required multiple sheets of paper.

I find that image pretty hilarious, although everyone in that book writes the wordiest diaries in the world.

Interesting to contrast that with Frankenstein, written like 80 years earlier but eminently readable.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Interesting to contrast that with Frankenstein, written like 80 years earlier but eminently readable.

It's readable, it's just the framing devices you shouldn't think too much about.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

sebmojo posted:

I think they are all good apart from the last battle, though the horse and his boy is fairly racist in retrospect I guess lol

I agree, though I liked certain aspects of the first half of the Last Battle. Once they 'die' the story gets too heavy handed though. My favorite is The Silver Chair because I'm a sucker for Journey to the Center of the Earth type stories.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

sweet geek swag posted:

I agree, though I liked certain aspects of the first half of the Last Battle. Once they 'die' the story gets too heavy handed though. My favorite is The Silver Chair because I'm a sucker for Journey to the Center of the Earth type stories.

Silver Chair is my favorite too, my mom used the series to teach me to read when I was 4 or so and it's the only one other than The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe I actually remember anything about.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

super sweet best pal posted:

reepicheep makes an appearance in the last battle! that made the book for my daughter when i was reading them all to her

nut
Jul 30, 2019

i don't read much fantasy book sbut out of curiousity: would you trust a king vole who could speak english or a king mole who also could speak english

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sweet geek swag posted:

Same, Eustace and jane are much better characters than the tedious pevenseys

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

nut posted:

i don't read much fantasy book sbut out of curiousity: would you trust a king vole who could speak english or a king mole who also could speak english

Ooh, err, that mole king, 'ees a good'n, oye reckon.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Atopian posted:

Read Zelazny for the prose (and the everything, tbh).
Read China Mieville for the ideas and world.
Read Mary Gentle for... well, for a couple of her books, because when she's good she's very good. Ash, for example.

China Mieville is apparently a sex pest, so maybe don't read him or at least don't pay for his poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Atopian posted:

Read Zelazny for the prose (and the everything, tbh).
Read China Mieville for the ideas and world.
Read Mary Gentle for... well, for a couple of her books, because when she's good she's very good. Ash, for example.

read Dick for the drugs

.random
May 7, 2007

LorneReams posted:

God I love me some bad fantasy. It's basically all I read from like 7 to my twenties. There is bad fluff and just bad, but I ate that poo poo up.

I reread David Edding's 4 cycles (Belgarion and Sparhwak series) like every other year or so, and I want to reread all of Feist's series as I think he's finally ending it.

My first that I can remember reading was Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series. I read and reread them and my parents took me to the Black Cauldron and I remember being loving pissed. That movie sucked.

Also, I wrote him a letter and he wrote me back and I was over the moon. I still have it somewhere around, I should really scan it.

Lloyd Alexander was great and should not be in this thread <:mad:>

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

.random posted:

It was more of an aside. Taren Wanderer was one of THOSE books that literally changed my entire worldview as a kid, and the payoffs in the High King are something I've never felt since. It's a high I've been chasing since 10.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the preponderance of Trashy Fantasy Series Drek isn't entirely down to the growing marketplace dominance of chain bookstores like Waldenbooks back in the day. Unless you had a used bookstore with a robust SF/Fantasy section - which weren't all that common - and you were a kid who liked dragons, well, you got a Dragonlance book 'cause that's what was on the dang shelves.

So Zelazny is my favorite author and I have every book the man ever published (even the two poetry collections) so I would have answered this closer to the time it was asked except I had to stop and read the thread first so I didn't become the seventeenth person to wander in and go "Has anyone mentioned Xanth yet?". But besides the previously-mentioned Eye of Cat, which is genius but also super experimental, I'd suggest Doorways In The Sand as a pretty entertaining romp, though it's more SF; Zelazny didn't do a ton of straight-up fantasy.

He did some, though, so if you can find them I found the two books Dilvish, the Damned and The Changing Land to be pretty sweet. The former is called a "fix-up", it's a collection of short stories that were previously published and occasionally given framing sequences or slight reworks to make them flow as a single narrative; the latter is the novel he wrote to wrap up that character's story (and it has a fun approach to magical politics, honestly).

There was also Changeling and Madwand, which were also published as a single volume under the title Wizard's World, which were cool and good but mostly get remembered today because Changeling was published with illustrations by an early-career Boris Vallejo.

But for my money, the best stuff he ever wrote was his short stories. My personal favorites are both in The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth and Other Stories (a title he reportedly hated). "A Rose For Ecclesiastes" is one of the best things I've ever read.

Anyway, sorry, back to lovely Fantasy

...fuckin' Xanth, man. Jesus

I always go back to Roadmarks, it seems like late career fluff but I love it dearly

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

precision posted:

read Dick for the drugs

Dick's epitaph at the end of A Scanner Darkly is beautiful

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

LorneReams posted:

It was more of an aside. Taren Wanderer was one of THOSE books that literally changed my entire worldview as a kid, and the payoffs in the High King are something I've never felt since. It's a high I've been chasing since 10.

Hello Other Me. I reread those a few years ago as a 40-something and that was a great trip.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

.random posted:

his aragorn was too much of an aragorn, but other than that i remember his books being good

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

China Mieville is apparently a sex pest, so maybe don't read him or at least don't pay for his poo poo.

i don't doubt that a bit, because he's a fantasy/scifi author, but iirc the accusations were about a messy breakup and maybe cheating, not raping or putting stepsons in whipping cages

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
^^was it cheating? The woman's account was so vague and wordy I thought it was about not closing an open relationship.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I kept going down the rabbit hole. Tl;dr it sounds like he was in an open relationship with someone and then got involved with this woman. She claims he did what sounds like sociopath poo poo (and, reading between the lines, probably kink) to make her love him and then he cut her loose. According to her, after she went public with it, lots of other women came to her with the same story of being manipulated/abused the same way.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

He was also trying to get his political party to take rape allegations seriously at the time, and that got tied into the way people talked about it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
His friends were insinuating it was a fake claim by the opposition trying to make him and his party look bad. But I think we can rule that out because they probably wouldn't have written 50,000 words all over the place

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Mooey Cow posted:

The book is very funny on purpose, so I think the author might have been a bit tongue in cheek there. The part with the missing wolf at the zoo and the interview with the zookeeper was hilarious, and there's some really good comedy when the dude is at Dracula's castle in the beginning and sees him spider climbing nude down a sheer cliff face.

Also they beat Dracula by just kicking the poo poo out of him and stabbing him with ordinary knives which is pretty good.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Anne Whateley posted:

His friends were insinuating it was a fake claim by the opposition trying to make him and his party look bad. But I think we can rule that out because they probably wouldn't have written 50,000 words all over the place
His friends were wrong, then, because he acknowledged that the relationship happened, and that he handled it poorly. :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

The part near the end of Valis where he starts talking about him and Horselover Fat being two separate people again made me legit sad when reading it for the first time.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

.random posted:

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I just read the prydain series again this year. I’m in my 40s now and I hadn’t read them since I was 8-9 or so. They hold up incredibly well. They are still for kids, but the writing is good and the themes are fantastic.

I gave my 7 year old nephew the Book of Three last weekend, I hope he asks for the rest.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Do him a favor and never mention Disney's The Black Cauldron.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Oh I won’t

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

ScienceSeagull posted:

That sounds cool, do you remember the book/story title?

I wish I did! Only that it was a dark blue cover with a cool space eagle on it, and there was another story that had huge metal ants that didn’t seem to be entirely biological or robotic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

that one line always haunts me

"we were just kids playing, and we got punished for it" or whatever. speed is a hell of a drug

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

Lol I remember the stinging taste of betrayal reading the Last Battle when I was 14. Like I remember yelling at my friends about the books were actual Christian bullshit. Haha good times

E: I'm half sure it affected my turn towards atheism. Thanks Caroll. You made me an unbeliever.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Shageletic posted:

Lol I remember the stinging taste of betrayal reading the Last Battle when I was 14. Like I remember yelling at my friends about the books were actual Christian bullshit. Haha good times

E: I'm half sure it affected my turn towards atheism. Thanks Caroll. You made me an unbeliever.

The Chronicles of Narnia were written by C.S. Lewis.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I double-checked, and apparently the C.S. in Lewis's name stood for "Clive Staples" which somehow seems fitting.

"STFU Clive!"

I was raised with a complete absence of religion, so when I read the Chronicles of Narnia I really didn't know much about Christianity and the apologia didn't make much sense to me but still managed to be tedious and annoying.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I didn’t realize that the last battle was a Christian parable, but I also didn’t realize that they died. In retrospect I don’t think I made it that far in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

poisonpill posted:

I didn’t realize that the last battle was a Christian parable, but I also didn’t realize that they died. In retrospect I don’t think I made it that far in the books.

eustice and jill mention the last thing they remember from the world in england is hearing a really loud noise on the train before they came back to narnia and peter and edmond mention the last thing they remember is seeing the train make the turn too fast while they were waiting on the platform. by the end it's pretty spelled out that aslan's country and the garden that opened its gates for them is heaven. presumably the train crash killed the characters on the train and the ones standing on the platform waiting to greet them.

the characters they met in narnia died during the battle.

the book was published only a few years before lewis died so while the "heaven :rolleyes:" is a pretty common reaction to it, i think it's worth looking at in context.