Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

blackshreds posted:

Even though I hated him, I was a very sad young man when Sturm died.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gulluoglu
May 4, 2009
The main thing I remember about these books were the really long songs or poems being sung or recited by the characters and how I quickly learned to skip those pages outright.

Like I totally forgot the names of all the characters until you guys wrote them again in this thread, save for Raistlin.

But those songs/poems. Goddamn.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I remember liking the Death Gate Cycle but I was like 15 and had way more patience back then.

I read all 7 of them again like... 2 years ago and they held up.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Original trilogy and the twins saga were bfd in my friend group back in the day.

I remember playing rolemaster rpg. Our gm had made his own campaign world. He spent lot of time designing it and was really proud of it. He also took roleplaying way too seriously.

Two of our players made a wizard Niltsiar and Fighter Nomarac.
Gm asked about the names, but accepted their explanation.

"lol. My knight is called Mruts then." -adhuin14

Our GM ragequitted the campaign after realizing what we were doing.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Yeah even seeing those Dragonlance novels as like an 8 year old kid it's still like "holy poo poo what is this turbonerd bullshit" when normal 8 year olds should think "ooh dragons cool"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I liked these books as a small idiot child when I first read them but once I became a nerdy idiot teenager the low quality was already obvious

Remember reading some offshoot Dragonlance book about a group of draconians who were deserters from the evil army and ended up finding a bunch of female draconian eggs(they were all male because of population control or whatever) and we're like "hooray now our species can survive". It was presented as a story of them overcoming the other races' prejudices of them and taking the first steps in becoming a real society but it was about a bunch of lizardmen raising up lizardbabies so they could gently caress them

bloom fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 21, 2020

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
loving let's plays of D&D campaigns as novels are the worst. I found some series a few years ago and really enjoyed the first one, fantastic world building but not far into the second one it was super apparent that's what it was. It just spoils it when you can see the dice in the description. Raymond Feist is a particularly egregious example of this too.
Never read dragonlance because it was obviously terrible even as a wee child and I've always dismissed the campaign setting out of hand for the same reason. Spelljammer is dang delightful though and I'm glad I kept reading the first book I picked up when I realized it was set initially on krynn.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Salt Fish posted:

I read all 7 of them again like... 2 years ago and they held up.

There was another series they did that was in an Arabian desert type setting that I remember being ok, but again I was a teenager and I never revisited. I can’t think of the name of it right now.

E: I looked it up, the series is Rose of the Prophet

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 21, 2020

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lol, it’s GBS so I was making a bad joke. His wife’s name is Laura.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Elentor posted:

tbh "x is only good because it inspired a blind guardian song" might as well be a genre, and I don't even like power metal.

The live version of that song is bananas.

I think we can all agree, at least, that Blind Guardian are cool as hell. Totally out of Weiss and Hickman's league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGorj_buhBo

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
I am reading all of this and I can honestly say that I don't remember poo poo but the character names. And Tika's big ol tiddies

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
There is one good thing that came out of Dragonlance. The game Dragonstrike, which is like an ol flight sim but you fly on a dragon killing other dragon knights. I don't know anything about the setting and the game doesn't seem to have much to say on the matter so that probably helps.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

quote:

Later in the development process it was decided that a trilogy of fantasy novels would be released with the modules. Originally an external writer was hired, but the design group found themselves more and more disillusioned with his work. At this point it was suggested that Hickman and Margaret Weis, an editor in TSR's book department who had become involved with the project, ought to write the books. They wrote the five chapters over a weekend and were given the job to write the accompanying novels based on that.
lol this explains a lot

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Flint Fireforge, Dwarf Stereotype

He can't swim. He's scared of horses, but won't admit it. (This is a major running trope.) He's a real rear end in a top hat to the kender. (That last one is fine.) He has an axe.

True, he comes from the era when all dwarves were grouchy Wilford Brimleys, rather than these more enlightened times when they're all Scottish Wilford Brimleys, but he's just kind of a nothingburger of a character, viz:

Dragonlance Fandom Wiki posted:

According to author Mark Anthony, "Flint believes that there is something more to be had in life, though he follows many different paths in his search for that elusive something."

Or worse:

Wikipedia posted:

Lauren Davis of io9 called Flint "the group's father figure whose crankiness serves as a bromantic foil to Tasslehoff's good cheer".

A dadbromance for the ages.

Wikipedia posted:

The character of Flint Fireforge was listed in UGO Entertainment's list of "The Best Dwarves Ever".

I hope he was below Bombur on that list.

Really what makes me crabby is his death, as I mentioned: he's battling alongside his friends. Gradually, he gets more and more fatigued and his is felled.

No, haha. That was just a dream that also happened in the story. He has a heart attack and sits down and dies.

I can't remember if this is part of the third-book cliffhanger or it happens in the middle of the story. Either way, not a good narrative choice.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"ahhh oohh it's me heart..Tasslehoff..r..run for help..I.."

"lol eat poo poo you tubby bitch I hope we can find enough rocks to cover your fat corpse. You'll die on this road for all those insults. Hahaha."

"Tassle...no..please..I...is...is that my coinpurse?!"

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

What was the name of that DragonLance book that took place in a volcano inhabited by dwarves that powered everything by steam?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Empty Sandwich posted:

Flint Fireforge, Dwarf Stereotype

He can't swim. He's scared of horses, but won't admit it. (This is a major running trope.) He's a real rear end in a top hat to the kender. (That last one is fine.) He has an axe.

True, he comes from the era when all dwarves were grouchy Wilford Brimleys, rather than these more enlightened times when they're all Scottish Wilford Brimleys, but he's just kind of a nothingburger of a character, viz:

Or worse:

A dadbromance for the ages.

I hope he was below Bombur on that list.

Really what makes me crabby is his death, as I mentioned: he's battling alongside his friends. Gradually, he gets more and more fatigued and his is felled.

No, haha. That was just a dream that also happened in the story. He has a heart attack and sits down and dies.

I can't remember if this is part of the third-book cliffhanger or it happens in the middle of the story. Either way, not a good narrative choice.

He doesn’t really hate Tasslehoff though. He has a soft spot for him but he can’t show it because he’s a gruff dwarf you see. IIRC Tas is quite broken up about his death.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Tasslehoff can go tassle off a cliff

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

drat I haven't thought about these for years. I used to snag a few when I'd hit the used book store as a kid. I enjoyed them at the time.

I remember the gully dwarves one where they find a dragon egg while out hunting rats for food. The gully dwarf king leaves the cave and becomes a hero I think. I can't believe I never gave gully dwarves a second thought.

There was the one where ogres where beautiful and smart but got cursed to be ugly and dumb. An island of smart and pretty ones survives which a blind hot ogre finds.

There were a few about the native American elves. Koganesti maybe. Was a K word. The first one opens with their leader running through the mountains naked and meets a goat that ends up being a dragon.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lol, I just remembered my freshman year in college my English prof made us read Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
What's a gully dwarf?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Zeniel posted:

What's a gully dwarf?

Race of literally-retarded dwarves that everyone hates and treats like garbage

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Zeniel posted:

What's a gully dwarf?

Take a small dwarf. Have it live in a cave covered in garbage instead of a mine. Give it an IQ below 60. Finally make it survive by scrounging through garbage and eating rats it has bashed to death with a stick.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I read so many of these as a kid but blocked most of them out of my memory.

I liked the ravenloft books. Each one was basically a clone of a real horror story. Like the strahd one was just Dracula but with a different name. At least that’s how I remember them

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Lol, I just remembered my freshman year in college my English prof made us read Dragons of Autumn Twilight

As, like, a 'how not to write' thing? Right? :ohdear:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

firrup posted:

Take a small dwarf. Have it live in a cave covered in garbage instead of a mine. Give it an IQ below 60. Finally make it survive by scrounging through garbage and eating rats it has bashed to death with a stick.

They're just hobbits who didn't figure out air vents for their disgusting moist worm holes

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Sturm Brightblade, Knight of Solamnia

He has a mustache. And armor. And uh a sword.

Another cipher. He's stiffly devoted to his paladin poo poo, and the only thing I remember about him is that at some point the party has to retreat, and when it's couched like that, he refuses. So they have to be like "No we're actually taking up arms back here, dude," and only then will he not suicide by... I don't remember the attacking force.

One of my problems with these books is how much everybody is a complete rear end in a top hat. "I can't retreat unless you obviously lie to me, so there's an insane loophole." ("I'm not stealing; I'm constantly borrowing poo poo without permission." "I'm not scared of horses, I'm allergic." "I'm not an rear end in a top hat to my siblings... hahaha, no I am.")

I'm only now learning that he wasn't even an actual knight. He was a squire, and lying about it. And from the same source, I'm learning that he was fired from being a squire and then promoted directly to knight.

Maybe the truth is... somewhere in the middle. Really makes one think.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

One of my friends gave me a big compendium of Dragonlance to read, with forwards for each section by the writers. The only one that wasn't masturbatory gushing over Tolkien and the blandest ideas of fantasy was the guy responsible for gnomes.

"I got the idea for gnomes from having three different roommates in college who were all mechanical engineers. One of them built a drat faraday cage for the microwave because he kept leaving the fork on his plate. God, gently caress mechanical engineers."

Best part of the book imo

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 21, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Father Wendigo posted:

One of my friends gave me a big compendium of Dragonlance to read, with forwards for each section by the writers. The only one that wasn't masturbatory gushing over Tolkien and the blandest ideas of fantasy was the guy responsible for gnomes.

"I got the idea for gnomes from having three different roommates in college who were all mechanical engineers. One of them built a drat faraday cage for the microwave because he kept leaving the fork on his plate. God, gently caress mechanical engineers."

Best part of the book imo

I can't remember much about the gnomes, but they seem a colorful spot in this sea of taupe. I'm kind of glad they were conceived in frustration, if only because I sometimes use" engineer" as a pejorative.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idgi if you make a Faraday cage inside the microwave wouldn't it just not perform its function of heating poo poo up? The cage would just redirect all the energy to itself and likely void your warranty while making pretty sparks

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Coolio

I can no longer find any evidence of this.

Coolio loving loves Dragonlance. I read a profile when he was at his career zenith where he was like "Oh poo poo! Dragonlance!" and bought some novels. I can find zero evidence of this now.

This one isn't a dig, regardless. Coolio spent a lot of his childhood bedridden with asthma. That's some tough poo poo to deal with.

But I do wish some more interesting rapper could have stood up for, say, the Forgotten Realms. Like, hearing Prince Paul talk about leading his party through the Mines of Bloodstone or whatever, you know?

This one is more a fun fact than a case against this terrible pretend world.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Internetjack posted:

Yeah, that was Huma's mentor in the Knights of Solomnia. The story builds him as this heroic guardian of justice and then the plot twist of having sold his soul years before comes to the surface at the end. I thought that was just fun story telling.

Also the spellcasting in Legend of Huma was awesome. It wasn't just "lightning bolt, lightning bolt" stuff, it was let's get a huge contingent of dark wizards on the hillside above the battle field where thousands are about to battle, and together our combined might will summon a storm of destruction to wreak havoc upon our enemies, darken the skies, summon a storm of wind and lightning. Yeah, just cliche poo poo here.

The Legend of Huma was good, largely because it had very little to do with the vast majority of modern-day Dragonlance, and made good use of the few inherently good setting details, like Minotaurs being a whole race of intelligent pirate warrior dudes.

It's one of my, like, two? Three? Dragonlance novels I have in a box somewhere, after I got rid of the rest of my collection in my early/mid teens.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Idgi if you make a Faraday cage inside the microwave wouldn't it just not perform its function of heating poo poo up? The cage would just redirect all the energy to itself and likely void your warranty while making pretty sparks
:thejoke:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

firrup posted:

Also, Gully Dwarves are literally the products of miscegenation.

Like, literally, they're the way they are because humans and dwarves interbred.

MORMON OPINIONS

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^Gnomes and dwarves, i am here to set things right about Dragonlance

Anyway I don't think the Dragonlance novels are good but i think the 2nd trilogy is good and if you could separate it from the rest of the world it could stand on its own legs, but i think expanded shared universes are very dumb, im really glad you could read this post about Dragonlance!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I have to admit that I kind of enjoy the people coming in to the thread called 'Dragonlance sucks' and either dropping the hot "yo these books are terrible" takes, or feeling like they need to apologize for reading or enjoying them as kids.

"These books with big tittied elf bitches on the front written by DnD players specifically as fan fiction for children aren't top tier word craft of the highest caliber?" That's a shocking take and pretty bold to say that actually you WEREN'T a huge fan even at the time.
It's because it does indeed suck, imo. There. I'm layin' it down. It's real bad. And it's ok.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah plus it gave us really memorable characters like Dagoth Ur and Uncle Fuckface.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

feedmegin posted:

As, like, a 'how not to write' thing? Right? :ohdear:

Lol no. As, like, “modern American literature”. He was a young first year professor and super nerdy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Lord Soth

The badass bad guy. He was a paladin, and now he is the biggest possible jerk: a death knight.

Oh dang, his fall was because he was boning someone who wasn't his wife. Eventually he became a skellington because of that. Well, poo poo. That's how it goes.

Please enjoy this picture of the most badass foe on Krynn: