Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want to come in here and tell you all that Dragonlance is actually good, at least the original trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
They weren't particularly well written but I think the setting was interesting and there were some moments from the first three that stuck with me. If you have good memories of them as a kid don't revisit them.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

LOTR is way better but I think the first three Dragonlance books would have made better movies. LOTR is unfilmable without major compromises to the setting and story.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

This thread is now just about awful fantasy novels and short stories

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The last Piers Anthony books I really enjoyed were the Apprentice Adept books which I read at age 11. I've done my goddamndest to avoid reading anything about them so my memories of being a happy young lad aren't ruined.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I really found the death of Sturm impactful as a youngling and I still think it is

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

Never figured out which way Raistlin , Caramon, and Kitiara were pronounced. Years later I find out the pronunciations in my head were all wrong.

And the books skipped over most of the plot of the modules.

Not mad just something else to add the list of grievances about the series.

Is there a guide to their pronunciation?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'd rather kids read than not read, even if they're reading garbage. If you get into the habit of reading books maybe you'll end up reading good books! You've got at least a better chance than if you hadn't developed the habit of regular reading.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Galewolf posted:

That's Lauralanthalasa, you casuals :smuggo:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

loving hate Terry Pratchett and I'm the biggest nerd who ever nerded

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've read all 9 books of the goddamn Lost Regiment series. Though I'm not sure what genre they are. Military fantasy?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

glenn black? or was the army unit black something? that's the only military fantasy poo poo i've read. iirc i read one book, and then checked from wikipedia what happened in the rest of the series. i think that it had a magic princess too. and people didn't use their "real" names because of magic
It all blurs together. Although the last thing you said was from Earthsea which in no way belongs in this thread.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Time Dissolver posted:

Anyone advising you to read serialized fiction in anything other than publication order is a loon.

Exactly this. Chronicles of Narnia being a great example. Not fantasy, but the Sharpe books are nuts when it comes to this. The fifth in publication order is the 14th in chronological order.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 26, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bismuth posted:

I wont abide by people dissing Le Guin

Literally how this derail got started

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Whoever wrote that really hates kender

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Probably because they’re horrible little shits. They also wear man buns, which is also awful.

Edit: I swear i saw an official illustration of a kender with a man bun at least once
*Topknot

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

rotinaj posted:

My problem with Dragonlance was that my first exposure to it was in a massive annotated book that was the first three books in one binding, and every page had lots of notes from the authors about why they did stuff and what the gaming backstory was of most of it.

It kicked rear end hearing all these behind the scenes details, and made me love the books. They probably don't hold up anymore at all but that's okay.

This doesn't sound like a problem, but it's just that I know they're bad and probably suck but whatev.

That sounds like something I would have hated as a child and loved as an adult.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

This is definitely a derail, but who wants to know what actually happened to lepers in actual medieval Europe??

quote:

Before the leper is committed to the enclosure, his isolation is sanctified by a special church ritual. The unfortunate victim is brought to the tribunal of the diocesan official and examined by surgeons. The “separation” is pronounced the following Sunday. The unhappy man, dressed in a shroud, is carried to the church on a litter by four priests singing the psalm, “Libera me.” Inside the church the litter is set down at a safe distance from the congregation. The service of the dead is read. Then, again singing the psalm, the clergy carry the leper out of the church, through the streets, out of town, to the leper colony. He is given a pair of castanets, a pair of gloves, and a bread basket. After the singing of the “De profundis” the priest intones, “Sis mortuus mundo, vivens iterum Deo” (Be thou dead to this world, living again to God), concluding, “I forbid you ever to enter a church or a monastery, a mill, a bakery, a market, or any place where there is an assemblage of people. I forbid you to quit your house without your leper’s costume and castanets. I forbid you to bathe yourself or your possessions in stream or fountain or spring. I forbid you to have commerce with any woman except her whom you have married in the Holy Church. I forbid you if anyone speaks to you on the road to answer till you have placed yourself below the wind.” Then everyone leaves the poor victim condemned to a living death.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Fantasy novels are things where plot happens in between the writing exercises assigned by a therapist.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

No one said the therapy wasn’t court ordered.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The only Pern book I ever read was the one that explained how they originally colonized the planet. I didn't know what the Pern series was and them ending up with castles and dragons at the end made me surprised as gently caress. It just seemed so abrupt.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

You have to give it to Dragonlance- a backstory like a high priest demanded that he be made a god and the gods' answer was to drop a flaming mountain on him and obliterating everything within a hundred miles before petulantly abandoning the people of the world to hundreds of years of darkness is pretty metal.

The gods did magic all the time. Clerics could literally just lay hands on somebody and pray and fix that person's broken bone or their IBS or whatever. Then one rear end in a top hat tried to take power over the gods and they PLUNGED AN ASTEROID ONTO HIS TEMPLE. It hosed up the whole world. And then they hosed off for 300 years. People begged the gods to help them with the consequences of the ASTEROID THEY CRASHED INTO THE PLANET and the gods were like "lol, nope." I love it. I love how petty they were. Dragonlance rules.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 5, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hey I really don't think we need to get into weird gross sex hypotheticals or quote them in this thread.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've read almost every word Harry Turtledove has ever read even made multiple Turtledove threads over the years ask me anything.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Turtledove has refought WW2, what is it 4 times now?

With aliens, magic, second civil war, and finally as inspiration failed, starting slightly earlier.

There's also the Japanese conquer Hawaii books and a WW2 analogue in the Atlantis books and an even different past scenario in the Third Reich collapses like the Soviet Union book and I believe another WW2 in the primitive primates live alongside humans book.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Man with an Iron Heart was the worst poo poo ever. Turtledove is a terrible author and I don't recommend any of his books to anyone.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I was into the Hobbit big time when I was younger and read lots of fantasy garbage growing up but could never actually get through Lord of the Rings. Then when I was 22 I started reading them while drunk. It was like a door had opened. They were so much fun! After that first read through I've done it a bunch of times sober.

I feel bad talking about the only good fantasy in this thread but I just want to say there's no shame in reading under the influence, it's great.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I still remember the general geography of Ansalon and I think it's fine that it's unnatural and weird because it's the result of Gods knocking an asteroid into the NE of the continent but Taladas is some dumb poo poo.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Just thinking about that 'taur

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Empty Sandwich posted:

A kender stole my last gold coin
And Kitiara's on the moon
And then draconians punched my groin
And Kitiara's on the moon

This is my favorite thing in the thread so far

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Let's list all the reasons Raistlin appealed to little aspie boys:

1. Smarter than everyone
2. Older than his years
3. Achievements all based on passing tests
4. Didn't have sex, still cool

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I would bet money there was a lesser Redwall book where the heroic Cowlord Bertram the Wise fights against Selim the Stoat and Zara the Weasel Queen to defend his giant barn against the vermin who wanted to steal the milk for the dibbuns.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I don't believe anything past AD&D 2nd edition is real D&D because that's all I know from the 90's but also because I'm a gully dwarf

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Okay there's only two genuinely good moments in the Dragonlance universe

One is when Tas smashes the dragonorb
The other is when Sturm dies.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Man that's like being mad that a book called "Paring Knife" isn't about tomatoes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Okay I guess it would be a book called "Vegetable Peeler" not being about vegetables

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Best fantasy series is the magic shop books by Bruce Coville

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Second best fantasy series is Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The genre where it was like giant computers and Emperors and spaceships with unexplained science and flashing lasers should've lived past the 80's