Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.random
May 7, 2007

Did Dragonlance have a very unfortunate Gandalf standin named Fizzbang or something? I would look this up but I already have too many half-remembered things in my brain like Stromboli Lightbringer, Knight of the Rose - which was one of the three knightly orders, the others being of the Sword and something else.

Dragonlance - like all art - must be viewed in the context of its time and as such must clearly be seen as the masterwork it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.random
May 7, 2007

Black August posted:

Fizban the idiot elder mage who was a literal DMPC and the puke twee-wacky persona of the ‘good’ god

LingcodKilla posted:

Crown. -> Sword -> Rose

This is the kind of art I’m talking about. True capital A Art indelibly changes you. Thank you.

.random
May 7, 2007

Embarrassingly, I actually teared up a bit reading Dragons of the Summer Flame :(

Years later, I realize that was the last dregs of good taste leaving my body, freeing me from the burden of discernment and critical thinking.

Today, I proudly post on Something Awful Dot Com.

.random
May 7, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

The specific quote is "[pacifists] armed only with their hatred for moral clarity". And yes, our protagonist happily genocides them.

I read a book or two of this as a young lad, I think. It includes BDSM-fueled magic or something? I am glad I only half remember any of this.

.random
May 7, 2007

quote:

Boston, MA: I realize this is a difficult question to answer in this format, but can you describe in general terms how you marketed and/or lobbied for "Wizard's First Rule"?

Terry Goodkind: I got the best agent in the country, and he did those things.

Oh, well that is cool, really not making it about himself :shobon:

quote:

Comment from Terry Goodkind: The reason the best agent in the country wanted to represent me was because he knew that this book would sell itself. In fact, he was correct. Three publishers wanted it, and so my agent held an auction. Ten weeks after I wrote the end of "Wizard's First Rule," it sold to Tor books for a record price that still stands to this day.

Oh.

.random
May 7, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, as far as fantasy covers go there's nothing particularly heinous about that one. Did the artist get some of the details on Goodkind's waifu wrong or something?

There is nothing heroic about her! Don’t you see? He wants to celebrate truly heroic people doing heroic things. True heroes are born, not made, and you can tell she was made NOT born.

.random
May 7, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I was today years old when I noticed how Eragon is just... DRAGON with an E instead of a D.

My friend insists this book is just shy of a masterpiece. I refuse to read it because I am sure it’s not.

e: vvv I knew the first part. The second part would explain a lot though

.random fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 21, 2022

.random
May 7, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

The would be a very good scene to write if Richard was the villain, and you were trying to establish how messed up he is as a villain. As he is the hero, it is pretty uncomfortable and weird.

quote:

Terry Goodkind: There's actually very little to read today because more and more books center around characters who are either unremarkable, pathetic or reprehensible. I don't like authors who choose to tell stories about these kinds of people. I like stories about individuals who can show the nobility of mankind.

.random
May 7, 2007

Gatto Grigio posted:

Goodkind’s description of the physical setting is so sparse that it may as well all take place in a black box theater.

Perhaps a… Sensory deprivation theater, where you never know when - or where - the next delicious lick of the cat-o-nine-tails will land, always prepared but never truly ready to feel it rake across your nubile flesh, leaving trails of raw fire in its wake?

.random
May 7, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

I've only ever read some comics collections and they are hilariously Grimdark (tm). but self-aware, so it's still fun.

can you get his take on the novels? the idea makes me sleepy, and I say this as someone who likes WH fluff over the actual games

Dan Abnett’s 40K books were pretty readable - Horus Rising and the rest of that series are decent… I think he also wrote some non-40K WH stuff but I have no idea about that.

.random
May 7, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

after all, there wouldn't be a top spanking

Clearly not reading much gay fantasy, are we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.random
May 7, 2007

LorneReams posted:

God I love me some bad fantasy. It's basically all I read from like 7 to my twenties. There is bad fluff and just bad, but I ate that poo poo up.

I reread David Edding's 4 cycles (Belgarion and Sparhwak series) like every other year or so, and I want to reread all of Feist's series as I think he's finally ending it.

My first that I can remember reading was Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series. I read and reread them and my parents took me to the Black Cauldron and I remember being loving pissed. That movie sucked.

Also, I wrote him a letter and he wrote me back and I was over the moon. I still have it somewhere around, I should really scan it.

Lloyd Alexander was great and should not be in this thread <:mad:>