Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nonathlon posted:

Some other SF writer once wisely commented that the good guys in Pern are so unassailably impeachably good, that it leaves the villains with nowhere to go and no arguable motivation. So they end up just being evil.

Well, the author thinks they're unimpeachably good, at least. Reading them again as an adult, loving eep. Pern is a shithole filled with horrible people. And rape. So much rape....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

super sweet best pal posted:

WoT Book 1: "gently caress, I'm running out of book and they're nowhere near the action. Better put in a warp zone."
Book 2: "Here's a completely different kind of warp zone to get to somewhere else."

Didn't read book 3, decided to cut my losses there.

I have a deep and unholy love for Hugh Cook's Chronicles of an Age of Darkness series, which often reads like he's having arguments (or occasionally agreeing) with whichever sff author he read most recently. There's 10 books in the series; the first 5 are basically all simultaneous with different POV spread over a couple of continents but after that he decided to set the next 2 on one small island because, according to him, he was absolutely pig sick of having to manoeuvre his characters all over the map to get them to the meetups and places his plot demanded and wanted to just have them walk places for a change.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Groovelord Neato posted:

Isn't there a new-ish genre where they do away with even the veneer of it being an actual world and just stat out characters and poo poo?

LitRPG. It's as soul-destroying as it sounds.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spazzle posted:

I know someone who wrote(writes?) this. She said she had to keep track of all the character stats and actions so the turbo nerd readers wouldn't be able to pour over the plot and point out that some character wouldn't actually have been able to do that today.

I remember years ago on goon safari to the TVTropes forum we found someone who must've been close to Patient Zero for this trend. He was agonising in one of their writer advice threads about how he was having trouble with his character's first boss fight because he only had 3 healing potions and that wasn't enough and he had to win that fight because he got his girlfriend as a rare drop at the end of it and god how we mocked that. Had we but known...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lord Awkward posted:

I'll cast a vote for the scores of similar takes on "I'm Banging A _$shapeshifter_" novels strewn through sf/fantasy sections instead of being dumped in romance or idk, the trash.

TAKEN BY THE ALPHA / MARRIED TO A WEREBEAR / ROMANCED BY THE DRAGON KING / BARBARIAN ALIEN'S MISTRESS / POUNDED BY THE PIGEON EMPEROR / etc etc ad infinitum

ngl would buy the poo poo out of POUNDED BY THE PIGEON EMPEROR if I saw it on a shelf.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Veth posted:

I remember reading Spellfire and being appalled by the number of times "main character uses her superpower, her tits fall out, and she passes out" got used in one book.

Oh god you just reminded me of "Peter Saxon". He was a house name used by 60s/70s UK pulp publishers, and you could always tell when it was actually - I think Wilfred McNeilly? - writing them because at some point you'd have the heroine in peril accidentally showing her "frilly knickers".

drat he loved those frilly knickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sweet geek swag posted:

C.S. Lewis really hosed up there, cause I thought they were really cool which was probably not what he was going for.

Yeah, Tashbaan still seems a really cool city to me. But my favourite place in those is probably Charn. Dead and ruined and creepy with a giant red sun. Hell yeah.

Ruined City of the Giants probably second.