Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Dang, I don't want to sully anyone's street cred here, but Dragonlance was loving awesome.

Yeah, derivative trite nonsense, but what a cool world and story. I love the fact it was based on nerd's dnd campaign. There were so many cool story elements too.

What was the city, Tsak Soroth or some such that was buried under the mountain, where the heroes journeyed to discover the lost faith of the old god's that could bring clerical healing back to the world? That broken rear end city buried in a massive cavern was totally cool and the journey into it, facing a dragon, was the tits.

And why was it buried? Oh yeah, a bunch of years previous the human priest king in his hubris demanded the gods convey their power to him; and the gods responded by smiting the planet with a huge meteor strike that upended the world and continents, breaking maps and upending civilization for hundreds of years. Yeah that is just some mundane poo poo. Oh yeah, and a nerds journey to become a god himself. Ho loving hum.

Even the fanfics like Legend of Huma were good stories, flushing out the world and its history even more.

I will cede one single point though; the Dragonlance movie/cartoon, with Lucy Lawless as one of the voice actors? That sucked poo poo, hands down. Like no one involved in the production even bothered to crack a single book open.

And if you did not want to hang at the Inn of the Last Home as a kid, I don't know, you are just broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I'm glad you liked the origin story of the Dragonlance from Dragonlance.

What was your favorite part?

I remember the anti-hero of the story, the mage that wanted to do right, but was down with shortcuts to power. drat, was his name Magius? That might have been bad. The Staff of Magius was the staff Raistlin was able to claim years later.

Its been a bit, but when Huma earned the lances, he not only got a poo poo-pile of them that had been stockpiled, but also some god-dwarf weapons maker helped teach the Dragonlance craft to modern metal smiths as well. Thus they could make as many as needed. Like I said, its been a bit, I might remember a few bits incorrectly.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

That sounds right, yes.

There was also a Knight who is really ugly and creepy and sickly and subverts your expectations by being exactly as evil as he looked this whole time.

Yeah, that was Huma's mentor in the Knights of Solomnia. The story builds him as this heroic guardian of justice and then the plot twist of having sold his soul years before comes to the surface at the end. I thought that was just fun story telling.

Also the spellcasting in Legend of Huma was awesome. It wasn't just "lightning bolt, lightning bolt" stuff, it was let's get a huge contingent of dark wizards on the hillside above the battle field where thousands are about to battle, and together our combined might will summon a storm of destruction to wreak havoc upon our enemies, darken the skies, summon a storm of wind and lightning. Yeah, just cliche poo poo here.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Valko posted:

They are a matriarchal society of EVIL spider worshippers and they all have black skin. Anyone else ever raise an eyebrow at that?

Yeah, not seeing many problems with this sexiness.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Black August posted:

yeah no problem with unloading your mommy dom fetish onto a race of black skinned villains who are mostly sexy FEMALES ready to punish you

exactly

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I mean, the white hair, and all the leather armor...

But enough about FR, this is Dragonlance thread.

Let's discuss Tika and her hooters.
I really like how she came into her own as a newbie fighter; learned from necessity and all that.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Pretty sure Samwise smacking dudes in the face with a frying pan and saying "I'm getting the hang of this!" in the LotR movie was stolen straight from Dragonlance and Tika's personal story. Maybe, I just don't recall that in Tolkein's books.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I was just remembering one of the fanfic spinoff books.

It was some dwarf that didn't really hang out under the mountain with other dwarves. A weirdo outcast of a dwarf, plied his trade and traveled the countryside.
Book starts with him getting waylaid, robbed and beaten I think. Left naked in the wild with nothing. Zero poo poo to his name.

First thing he does beyond basic water and eating some stuff is to build a crude forge. Piles up a bunch of rocks, gathers wood to burn a coal fire. Makes a rough crucible and finds some ore on the mountain and makes the head to a hammer. The next thing he does with his crude hammer is to make a better forge and crucible and forge a better hammer. A stronger tool and weapon. Then he kills a mountain lion that has been stalking him and uses its fangs to make a pair of daggers, skins it to make some crude clothing, and eats the thing.

Like a month in and this fucker has food, clothing and weapons, and is just building his life one bit at a time from the ground up. Some other character comes along and comments, if you were just left alone you would slowly build a kingdom; and he's like "probably?" It was a cool prepper/survivalist story. He meets a gnome with a flying machine and story continues on, blahblahblah, horrible writing continues, but that dude rebuilding his life from scratch was cool as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Based on this thread from two years ago, I decided to re-read the first Dragonlance book, Dragons of Autumn or whatever, and while I love the setting and the overall plot, the writing is just atrocious. Everything is a cliche and the characters are completely one dimensional. Ten pages in and I set it down thinking "I can't do this." I did re-read the whole thing though and it was essentially self flagellation.

And I have something like 20 DL books stashed in the garage, and I loved that stuff when I was younger, like in my 20's. Now I feel almost ashamed.

The one good takeaway is that Otik's spiced potatoes inspired me to start experimenting in the kitchen.