Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Picked up the Dark Lord of Derkholm thanks to this thread and I think it's the fastest I've ever read a 500 page book. So... thanks. I think a thread where people are pointing out BAD books is much more useful than recommendation threads, as when a good one gets brought up it gets defended. Good thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The book Grunts! was brought up earlier, and I'm not going to defend or recommend it because it really does have some terrible poo poo in it, but it is similar to Derkholm in its use of an overly generic fantasy world to tell a subversive to the genre story. Aside from Discworld (where it's the entire gimmick), it feels like a pretty untapped well of story ideas.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I remember reading a story like this. I had thought it was Yahtzee Crowshaw's Mogworld but I'm not sure. Anyway, the main protagonist is a zombie (or possibly a skeleton) raised by a necromancer to be mindless labour building his castle and dungeon. But he turns out to have sentience and after a little while he ends up negotiating working conditions for the entire undead workforce, using basic arguments like "we should be paid for our labour" to convince the quite-reasonable necromancer. There were some funny scenes with the necromancer coming to the realisation that even though an animated skeleton doesn't eat, doesn't sleep, and can't stray beyond sight of the cursed castle, the skeleton still deserves a day off now and then.

Mogworld definitely had a similar premise, but I don't think it was that either. I think the skeleton in that book just keep killing himself over and over again until the necromancer gave in?

Mogworld wasn't a great book but it had an interesting premise- the NPCs in what is essentially Dwarf Fortress gain sentience. I can't remember how early in the book they reveal that.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The fact pern continued as a series is bizarre as hell considering there was a book that was clearly meant to be the series finale where they destroy the source of the main threat forever and have all the mysteries of the past revealed to them.

I got sucked into those books as a teenager, and I gotta say I'm surprised more authors don't do YA tie-in novels to attract more readers like McCaffrey did.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Dark tower 2-4 are legit good books