Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I know this post is from a couple days ago, but this is the edition of The Hobbit that my dad read to me when I was little, and he put masking tape over the illustration on the cover because he didn't want to taint my imagination. I peeled it off when we were done and man was he correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Slippery posted:

I absolutely loved Going Postal, and I think its standalone nature might help someone decide if they want to get deeper into Discworld. Granted it doesn't have a lot of the 'standard' Discworld characters of course, but it's amazing and owns.

I just finished rereading Going Postal last night (thanks to recent postal events in the US) and found it just as delightful this time. I think the fact that Moist is a new character in a clearly well-established existing world AND a stranger to Ankh-Morpork himself would be nice for a new reader.

Edit: the title mentions Pern, what about McCaffrey's other series? Acorna the unicorn girl, some thing about sentient spaceships (possibly the same series)

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 29, 2020

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember Acorna but never read beyond the first one. And wasn't there a whole series about the ships being alive and being in love with their commanders or something?

I think so, and maybe the ship minds had actually been humans at one point who had their consciousness transplanted into ships? I feel like whatever the actual story was has to be at least twice as bonkers as what I'm remembering.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

The best book to get from the Sci-fi book club was Barlows Guide to Extraterrestrials. Check out the Alien thread in the Sci-fi subforum for some cool shots from that, because it doesn't deserve to be in this thread.

Oh man, that book is awesome. My little brother got it at Half Price Books at some point and I spent hours poring over it, even though the only featured book I'd read by that point was A Wrinkle In Time.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bismuth posted:

Oh you mean like how Drizzt met Catti-brie when she was 8?

Catti-brie seems like it should be in the PFY Bad Names thread

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Inverted Icon posted:

Oh, she knew

She needed to know which student to watch out for

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
One of the Hyperion sequels (don't recall which) has a very bad case of "underage girl and adult male protagonist who raised her have relationship but it's ok for a variety of bullshit reasons".

I will also wholeheartedly throw in my support for The Library at Mount Char. That book blew me away.

edit: I went and looked to see if Scott Hawkins has written anything other than The Library at Mount Char, and it's a bunch of coding books.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Cobalt-60 posted:

Small Gods and Guards! Guards! are two of my favorites, so I always recommend those. Personally, I read (and am still reading) the books all out of "order," so go wild.

The best Terry Pratchett reading order is "as you find them at secondhand bookstores and thrift shops". I started with Hogfather because the peppermint swirl cover caught my eye.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I'm rereading Dark Lord of Derkholm because of this thread and it's delightful. I love Diana Wynne Jones.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I think the first Redwall book mentions a farmer and his horse cart, but it's never mentioned again.

Someone needs to make a Binging with Babish style Youtube channel specifically for Redwall food.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I'm rereading Dark Lord of Derkholm because of this thread and it's delightful. I love Diana Wynne Jones.

By the way, this does have a sequel (Year of the Griffin) but I did not enjoy it quite as much.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Aren't a lot of those young adult trilogies fantasy? You know, the kind that get turned into fairly bland movies.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
So what is the Bad Fantasy of today? Is it all those formulaic YA trilogies? I feel like the bad fantasy of my childhood (I am 35) was more for a male audience and now it's more for a female audience. Do I have any facts to back this up? Absolutely not.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

precision posted:

i think there's still a ton of the same kind of stuff being written, only with slightly updated references or more "subversion"

it's a genre that's so deeply entrenched and codified.. it's basically the religion of a lot of people

My husband's been reading a lot of Warhammer novels lately, I suppose that might fit. (sidenote: he gave me Piers Anthony's incarnation of death book, I don't remember the real title, when we were in 8th grade, and I married him anyway. He did, however, say that the rest of the series was poo poo, so at least there's that)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Empty Sandwich posted:

I've only ever read some comics collections and they are hilariously Grimdark (tm). but self-aware, so it's still fun.

can you get his take on the novels? the idea makes me sleepy, and I say this as someone who likes WH fluff over the actual games

He said: They are morally ambiguous, violent, and devoid of deeper meaning, with a very rich world. Perfect escapism for the Trump presidency.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ExecuDork posted:

I remember a Dragonlance book that was basically "what if WWII air combat but DRAGONS!" and while the fact I read it age 17 probably matters, I remember it being one of two books I've ever had to pause reading just to pump my fist and say "gently caress yeah!" Good times.

what was the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DicktheCat posted:

I essentially write off authors that go hard into magic and spirit being by gender as a universal truth in settings.

Is there some kind of cutoff date for that? Like, authors prior to 2000 or whenever get some kind of a begrudging pass?

There was some scifi series I read ages ago with a parallel universe where Neanderthals didn't die out but instead became the only human species on that world. It was all idyllic until humans from our world showed up and caused chaos. Eventually the Neanderthal scientists dealt with this by engineering a virus that killed any human with a Y chromosome that crossed over into their world, since men were the source of the issues due to their natural aggression or whatever, which I thought was quite stupid even then.