Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The magical fantasy land of Karen

fake edit: Also Spelljammer was clearly the better 2e setting, only marred by containing Dragonlance within it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

loving goddamn yes. I'd completely forgotten about this. Spelljammer is a glorious mess of space hamsters and British colonial hippo men, and even it couldn't do anything interesting with Dragonlance.

You say that, but I just remembered Tinker gnomes were from Dragonlance, and those little assholes were born to build ramshackle spaceships powered by rubber bands and giant hamster wheels. Course, the fact it was space meant you encountered them AWAY from Dragonlance proper most of the time

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Can I play as a Gully Dwarf now?

(seriously Kender get a lot of poo poo but I feel people gloss over Gully Dwarves being a thing, jesus loving christ :gonk:)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Killingyouguy! posted:

Are they still just searching for the sword over and over or whatever? Even mother loving dragon ball had the good sense to be like 'we had a few good searches now finding the things is trivially easy and covered with a time skip'

Having read a distressing number of these books in my teenage years, I seem to recall the actual Sword only factoring into the plot of like...three? out of the dozen or so of these I'm familiar with. Usually some other magical macguffin is being looked for/destroyed/exists as a burden/gift for whichever member of the extended Omsford family is the main character this time.

All because the loser main character from the second book used the magic elf rocks for too long so they irradiated his sperm and now all his descendants down through the centuries are sufficiently innately magical enough to be useful protagonists whenever something vaguely sinister needs a gaggle of gently caress-ups to solve it

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

I feel like Elfstones was alright.

I tried rereading 80's fantasy classics a few years ago to see how they held up. Dragonlance, Feist, Eddings etc There was a whole lot of DNF, Dragonlance in particular was basically unreadable as an Adult. But I still quite enjoyed Elfstones.

Elfstones was alright, sure. I'll freely admit that one of my fondest memories of reading a book was staying up til 3 am to burn through the last quarter or so of Wishsong in a feverish marathon just to see how it all played out.

Wil Ohmsford was still a loser who magically irradiated his balls to figuratively carry a printer for the elf lady who turned into a tree, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Someone brought up the Shannara series and even as a kid a bunch of those books felt like there were chunks that were just random battles from an RPG. Like, they're walking through a ruin and bam! A cyborg-cat pops out! And Allanon kills it with magic. Then at the next ruin, a different monster pops out, and Allanon kills it.

Brooks does have an inordinate fondness for enormous cyborg-centipedes.

tbf it's an under-explored niche in fantasy, but he goes back to that specific well like six times