Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Bismuth posted:

Yep! And one again the dragons were engineered by man so they were made that way. Oh also like half of the dragons were female but almost all of the riders were male so it resulted in astronomical levels of buttsex

For all that, there was only one gay couple in the books, and none of the other books acknowledged the dudes getting it on. There was also an infamous interview where someone asked about gay dragon riders and she said that those dragons would only choose gay boys and also if they did accidentally choose a straight guy then he would turn gay as soon as he had a dick inside him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Bismuth posted:

I wont abide by people dissing Le Guin

i'm channeling the book barnyard poster who tried to read the dispossessed and had to put it down SHAKING with RAGE because she obviously had no understanding of the immaculate science of economics

No Pants fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 27, 2020

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Samovar posted:

PLEASE tell me you have a link.

PLEASE.

I thought it was in one of the SF/Fantasy megathreads, but I think might have been this. Not as dramatic as I remembered, but very loving anarchists.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Galewolf posted:

Not in Netherlands, he is not (apparently)

I might be wrong but he was, uh, brown? I remember something like people in Gont being "olive skinned" or "dark brown".

He was red-brown, yeah. Le Guin was pretty upset about the Sci Fi Earthsea adaptation and wrote a lot about how people kept lightening her characters' skin colors for some reason.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I assume there are probably books out there with a similar idea, but I always thought that magic as a replacement for infrastructure made sense. Like instead of the power company you paid the magic guild to keep your light spells going, keep the water flowing, and so on. Like a utility. This would also go a long way to explain why everyone and their uncle doesn't use magic - it's controlled and licensed and if you go against the guild they will gently caress you up either literally or legally, depending on how the society is structured.

There's probably a lot of urban fantasy like that. Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence sounds a lot like it, but I haven't read it.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

there wolf posted:

If i remember correctly Tolkien also implies at some point that magic is something anyone can just learn, but most people either don't have access to a teacher or aren't interested. Like there's some line about how hobbits are just to simple folk to want to bother with spells and poo poo

Yeah, Galadriel talks to Sam about how it's funny that people call what she does elf magic when everything the elves do is perfectly natural, thank you.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

He was granted passage to the Undying Lands to heal his wounds from the Witch King's knife and Shelob's sting and to ease the passage of his final days. It was specifically a gift from Arwen, but I don't remember how Sam got included. Tolkien writes in his letters that he and Sam would eventually accept the Gift of Men there of their own free will.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The Steel Remains and its sequels have some really weird gay alien sex going on, but it was overall pretty gross what with all the rape and sexual violence against women and children. That plus the author showing his rear end this year makes visiting Altered Carbon a hard sell for me.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

smut is good actually

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Atopian posted:

No argument, but it's better put in dedicated smut vehicles rather than generic fantasy.

That way you can get your smut on without being disappointed, or read fantasy without being surprised by a description of exactly how the protagonist's vagina feels with a root vegetable in it.

i'm not sure what you mean by generic fantasy, but i feel that we must agree to disagree.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

He was also trying to get his political party to take rape allegations seriously at the time, and that got tied into the way people talked about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Anne Whateley posted:

His friends were insinuating it was a fake claim by the opposition trying to make him and his party look bad. But I think we can rule that out because they probably wouldn't have written 50,000 words all over the place
His friends were wrong, then, because he acknowledged that the relationship happened, and that he handled it poorly. :shrug: