Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Doesn't Ao turn out to basically be an intern over-god?

Like at the end of the trilogy he has to go report to his over-over-god about how hosed up things got, but he totally fixed it now, no need to write me up for this one Sir!

I believe canonically the guy Ao is talking to is the GM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

drat horror queefs posted:

It's honestly bewildering to me that some people really, really care about their fantasyland geography. I barely ever gave them a glance even as a kid when I was more invested in that poo poo.

Did fantasy novels even have maps before Tolkien?

(notable exception are the WORLD OF KAMANDI maps which are pure and good and rise above the dross of this foul world, but it's a comic so doesn't count)

Treasure island started with the map and wrote the story around it. Not fantasy proper ofc

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Does best selling author Brandy Sandy at any point justify why he needs a kickstarter to publish his new books?

Because amazon controls 85% of book sales (and through audible and kindle, an even bigger fraction of audiobook and ebook sales). In the past Amazon has played hardball in negotiations by shutting off all sales from a given publisher for a month.

So having kickstarter as an alternative sales channel makes business sense (in addition to kickstarter taking 10% less of the gross price as fees compared to Amazon)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Let me rephrase: why is extremely popular and well-established author Brandy Sandy self-publishing in the first place?

Genuine question, btw. I just don't understand this at all, although I guess it raised $41m.

Because selling through kickstarter bypasses amazon's near-monopoly on book sales - no matter the publisher Amazon has an iron grip on the 'people actually paying for it' step.