Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The thing I'll never understand about Wheel of Time is how can someone write so much boring poo poo. If reading it is an extended waste of time writing nothing is far far worse. When I write stories I like writing things happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

It’s no secret that unpublished genre authors are often strong armed into three book contracts for their first publishing deal, and I’ve often wondered if that’s what happened with Rothfuss. No idea if that’s the case though.

Didn't he say he had all three books written when the first came out?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The problem with the longer books is there is almost always tons of filler. If you got a 350 page book and an 800 page book but the 800 page book maybe has 400 pages worth of actual stuff going on you're better off going with the 350 page book.

I've never read A Song of Ice and Fire though I started the first book and GRRM's style came off as generic fantasy to me when I'd been sold on it being "gritty" (I ended up getting what I was looking for in Abercrombie) but I've heard the last book or so is mostly wheel spinning.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

I personally do not give a poo poo about maps in books. Most of the time you see it before you have any context and I'm not going to flip back to the front of the book to look something up.

I write off any fantasy book that includes a map. It's dumb.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

rats overall get a bad rap in society. i think a lot of people think that mice are like what rats are actually like, whereas real mice are way too tiny and they piss constantly cause they dont have a valve on their bladder to stop piss coming out. whereas rats are clean and theyre bigger and more cuddly.

My parents' gym is in their basement and the "ceiling" is just paper stapled over the insulation and there are piss marks all over and I assumed it was just mice being assholes. That's much funnier.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jarvisi posted:

I was gonna suggest the sparrow but forgot it's sci fi

I always read before bed and was nearish the end to the Sparrow one night and stayed up until the middle of the night because I couldn't put it down. Then I got up and walked around. The Sparrow is an incredible book that hits you with one helluva gut punch.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

poisonpill posted:

Wasn’t it written by like a twelve year old and his dad owned the publishing company?

Paolini started writing it around age 15 and after a couple years his family published it via their own little publishing house and traveled around giving talks at bookstores and schools (in costume). The author Carl Hiassen happened to be on vacation in one of the towns Paolini had been to and his son picked up Eragon from a local bookstore and loved it and showed it to Hiassen. Hiassen brought it to a real publishing house and the rest is history. I want to say Paolini was actually 18 or 19 when the book got picked up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

I had to read this several times. That's quite a bio.

He was also a board member of the most notorious Holocaust denial publication.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I bet his stuff is garbage but it's still impressive he can write a book in a single plane trip. I couldn't do that even if I shat out some turd on the page.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

poisonpill posted:

I’ve never read them but I’m convinced WoT was (and to some extent remains) popular because it was just about the only game in town during a decade where D&D nerds were looking for new generic fantasy novels

I wanna say that's straight up what happened with Shannara.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

precision posted:

What you have to understand about Wheel of Time is that Jordan has a real knack for writing hundreds of pages in which literally, actually nothing happens. I know it's like "wow, the books were a thousand pages each, even if they're all filler there must be so many events!" and it's like... no, there aren't. Books 7 and 10 come dangerously close to having literally only a couple things in them

There's a lot of redundant talking about stuff and arguing

NB: i like the WoT books

I don't understand how someone spends the time writing and writes nothing happening. The fun part of writing is when things happen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Isn't there a new-ish genre where they do away with even the veneer of it being an actual world and just stat out characters and poo poo?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They're actual books I believe. Well "actual books" may be stretching it. I'd never sully the bad fantasy book thread with anime.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wish more fantasy authors had been inspired by Gene "Mr. Pringles" Wolfe. Book of the New Sun is the GOAT.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Genuine question, btw. I just don't understand this at all, although I guess it raised $41m.

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mooey Cow posted:

Seems to me that kickstarting your book is just trying to get an advance when self-publishing. Though I gotta wonder why he'd need 41 million to write a dang book unless he's planning to set up his own printing and bookbinding business too.

Excuse me it's four books.