Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It was an enjoyable read when I was 13, I even have some fond memories that I will definitely not dispel by trying to open one of those trash novels as a bitter adult.

I remember being awed at a character that was a clear villain and a devout supporter of an evil goddess but still a sympathetic and kind character unlike a lot of children's entertainment villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I started my sword and sorcery adventure with Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories at the age of maybe 11 so thank gods all the D&D adjacent garbage didn't spoil it for me until advanced age

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Empty Sandwich posted:

Are you Incredibly Old or is this like me discovering Lovecraft as a small child? Either way, I think you did it right. Reading Vance as a D&D proxy/inspiration is... not great.

I will tell a parable:

Many, many years ago I went to France, everybody I saw on public transit was reading DBZ. I don't know what this means.

I didn't like any of the Elminster poo poo, bc dang.

I liked the Drizzt novels, but I don't... think they're good.

Except compared to the Dragonlance novels.

I have an old soul sonny. Nah I was growing up in a non-english environment and I just stumbled upon some pretty good poo poo like aforementioned Fafhrd and also Conan in my native tongue as a young child.

Come to think of it I also read precisely one Drizzt novel as a teenager and the only thing I recall is titular elf not fuckin' to spite his parents.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Gologle posted:

You seem like a man who would enjoy some Michael Moorcock

Heard about him but never got into it. Discworld is pretty much all the fantasy I've ever needed.

Then again I do disappoint every D&D group I participate in by making Rincewind

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Spazzle posted:

All corporate fiction sucks. None of it is good.

I only read punk fiction written on the bridge by local drug afficionadoes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Turning into stone when you die has to be the dumbest special ability ever lmao

Now the memories start flowing back, wasn't there a whole continent of weaboo minotaurs swinging katanas

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

There's nothing wrong with a whole race of r-worded dwarfs, at least it breaks Tolkien's mold

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

And there was a manchild elf prince who wasn't secretly a manchild but a leader of la resistance who only pretended to be a manchild to fool his evil scheming vizier who just happened to be a dragon

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Raistlins large adult brother became a fat sad alcoholic but then they just had to send him back in time to go to a fake gladiator fat camp

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Kender represent a Mormon caricature of communist hobbite

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's the point of being a wizard tho. Wizards that gently caress are a blight upon the genre, all magic users aside from clerics are obsessed weirdo losers

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I thought he was just a nerd who meddled with things no mortals wot of and became even shittier as a result.

Tbh I don't think I ever read the original novels, just the series titled dragons of *some celestial body* I think and the ones where they go back in time and a gully dwarf almost fucks raistlin

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I don't have anything else to add about kenders they were barely featured in the books I read as a child :shrug:

But given the writers backgrounds one can only imagine

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'm pretty sure they used a lance to kill some dragons so idk maybe the real Dragonlance were all the friends they made along the way?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Lmao Cardamom is such a dumbass name

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Ah yes "boss fights" really define what is and isn't a worthy piece of literature.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

...well it's a book about wizards written for children so I mean I'm not setting the bar SUPER high expecting "Hey remember the time the wizard blew up the dragon" to be a major plot point.

I'm just trying out your gimmick and I gotta give it to you, it sucks!!!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Idk there was definitely at least one, maybe two dragons in the ones I read. One was pretending to be an elf 90% of the time but I think that still counts?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Empty Sandwich posted:

poo poo, that sounds vaguely familiar. Is that the dude where he has 7 sparrows flying around him? But hang on

OH FCUK he is a gold dragon and they are 7 silver dragons? I honestly don't remember. That's from some D&D thing.

I have never played Eberron; I agree with you 100%.

I just finished Planescape: Torment, the best computer RPG ever to exist, and it warms my heart to know that nobody from Krynn is in there, and if they were, everybody would be so mad at them they would make them die.

Literally anything could be a portal, but none of them lead to Krynn. The Lady has taste.

The book I read had some kinda burny horse on a cover and there were a bunch of shut-in elves living in a magical dome who were secretly led by a racist green dragon disguised as an elf vizier. I think. It's been maybe 2 decades since I looked at that book

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

firrup posted:

Take a small dwarf. Have it live in a cave covered in garbage instead of a mine. Give it an IQ below 60. Finally make it survive by scrounging through garbage and eating rats it has bashed to death with a stick.

They're just hobbits who didn't figure out air vents for their disgusting moist worm holes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Idgi if you make a Faraday cage inside the microwave wouldn't it just not perform its function of heating poo poo up? The cage would just redirect all the energy to itself and likely void your warranty while making pretty sparks

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Unless fertilized by devout good dragon in a holy matrimony with the egg layer, the eggs turn into evil orcs.

Probably idk but I could see a Mormon writing that

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Shageletic posted:

How about a lizard monster bring flabbergasted by them

This owns btw, I want Sasquatch/Merman/naked swordlady on a van.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Another real garbage book is the one with the armored polar bear. Golden compass?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

What good is kids reading anyways? They are going to get all sorts of weird ideas, better not.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I've been revisiting Terry Pratchett in form of audiobooks and the quality definitely is consistent. I've spent probably hundreds of dollars buying the paperbacks when I was a high schooler but I don't think I've read anything TP wrote in 5-10 years before his death. Can't wait to get there...

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

ChubbyChecker posted:

nightwatch was his best work, after that the quality plummets, but the next two books, monstrous regiment and going postal, are still readable

Last ones I've read is unseen academicals and uh the wintersmith and they were still good.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

"Sic semper tyrannosaurus", Rock Beefcake exclaimed, unloading the entire magazine of his high powered assault rifle into Caesar as the assembled would-be assassins clapped in admiration.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Imagine fawning over late Le Guin's work when she's the epitome of a white lady really into the Mysterious Orient :allears:

I kid, I kid, she's awesome.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Someone mentioned Farseer trilogy itt is it any good? I read the first book when I was in highschool and all I remember is a sad clown and some dude being angsty about getting laid and then faking his death.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The Night Watch (Russian one not TP) had a hilarious movie back in maybe 2003. The bad guy pulls out his spine and beats people up with them while good guys use fluorescent light bulbs as lightsabers

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Slippery posted:

I absolutely loved Going Postal, and I think its standalone nature might help someone decide if they want to get deeper into Discworld. Granted it doesn't have a lot of the 'standard' Discworld characters of course, but it's amazing and owns.

Moving Pictures is also kinda like that. I just now finished going thru it for the first time since high school and honestly it didn't get any worse.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Just wait till you get into scifi authors :gonk:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I read more than one coughsixcough before I realized I was reading a virgin nerd’s version of harlequin romances.

I’m not good at picking good books.

:hmmyes:

Butcher is cringy nerd bait.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'm pretty sure Ged is black.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Everyone in the civilized world in earthsea is brown or black skinned and the whities are imperialist slave taker aztec-viking types who everyone hates, it owns

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Galewolf posted:

Did they also sucked at magic or straight up incapable of doing magic, which was implied that why they were never able to completely invade the south. I should read the fuckin' books again :getin:

I think the A'tuan book made it pretty clear that their priesthood were very much against magic :shrug: but idk if it ever went beyond that.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

*squints*

Oh yes I see Absalom riiiiight there

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Lmao creative fiction writers are freaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Are horses oppressing anyone in this wild scenario?