Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
"We weren't that inspired by Tolkien" says man who was forced to replace the word "hobbit" with "halfling" for legal reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Seems to me that kickstarting your book is just trying to get an advance when self-publishing. Though I gotta wonder why he'd need 41 million to write a dang book unless he's planning to set up his own printing and bookbinding business too.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Although it isn't bad but if it had published today, Dracula would surely have been classified as urban fantasy. There is a nice part about halfway through the book when Lucy has been attacked by Dracula for the last time, and as she feels her life draining away she scribbles down on a note what happened that night.

And she scribbles down about 1200 words, with several similes, including one reference to stories from travelers in the desert. It just goes on and on and must have required multiple sheets of paper.

I find that image pretty hilarious, although everyone in that book writes the wordiest diaries in the world.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Interesting to contrast that with Frankenstein, written like 80 years earlier but eminently readable.

It's readable, it's just the framing devices you shouldn't think too much about.