Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I read the Belgariad books when I was a kid and they were kinda entertaining but goofy, but then he wrote a second set of books with the same characters which were exactly the same books pretty much. And then he tried tried to pass it off by the characters going "Wow we are in some kind of cosmic loop" at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

They were bad enough that i stopped reading the first one, literally throwing it across the room. Surprise surprise it was written by a 19 year old weirdo

Yeah, I tried reading it when I was 12 and I honestly thought that the prose was too dumb for me to read, even at a preteen age.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

what is the actual difference between a kender and a halfling? Why do you guys hate these kender so much?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I read the first Icewind Dale book when I as 11 for a school project and did a diorama of those dudes fighting the ice giant.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Atopian posted:

Most things by Zelazny are cool.
Products of their time, but excellent for that time.

I read Lord of Light recently and I loved it, I thought it was completely awesome, but it trends more towards sci fi than fantasy so i'm not sure if I'm being relevant.

What else of his is good?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Which Zelazneys are the best? I asked a little earlier but I don't think anyone saw.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

Lord of light is great.

Lord of Light is the only one I've read and I agree that its awesome. Super creative and weird.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Rags to Liches posted:

Song of Kali is supposed to be really good too, and he wrote that before he wrote any of the Hyperion stuff. I dunno anything about Ilium or Olympos though.

Song of Kali is great and creepy but it is quite racist, but I guess that it mostly just the point of view of the racist protagonist.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

thoughts and prayers posted:

Zelazny was so great about this. His sex scenes (only 1-2 I can remember) were (paraphrased) "she closed the door, and they did what you'd expect. The next morning..."

I read Lord of Light and found it to be one of the most awesomely creative sci fi books I've read. What else of his is good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Is there some kind of cutoff date for that? Like, authors prior to 2000 or whenever get some kind of a begrudging pass?

There was some scifi series I read ages ago with a parallel universe where Neanderthals didn't die out but instead became the only human species on that world. It was all idyllic until humans from our world showed up and caused chaos. Eventually the Neanderthal scientists dealt with this by engineering a virus that killed any human with a Y chromosome that crossed over into their world, since men were the source of the issues due to their natural aggression or whatever, which I thought was quite stupid even then.

yeah jeez, have they never met a teenage girl? Pure hatred and rage.