Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I want to know the op’s thoughts on gully dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Black August posted:

why did you remind me those loving EXIST

Because Dragonlance sucks.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

oh poo poo there’s a whole wiki all about kender

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I don’t get how kender can remain alive. On any other world they’d be exterminated. I want somebody to write a story about a group of kender who get marooned in Sigil, and their gruesome deaths at the the hands of the Mercykillers after pickpocketing a hardhead. Or better yet, Athas, where they get eaten by psionic plants, or thrown into a gladiator pit and torn apart by thri-kreen, or just die of dehydration and heat stroke.

1001 ways to kill a kender, fun and thrilling.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just finished Planescape: Torment, the best computer RPG ever to exist, and it warms my heart to know that nobody from Krynn is in there, and if they were, everybody would be so mad at them they would make them die.

Literally anything could be a portal, but none of them lead to Krynn. The Lady has taste.

There was one guy from Krynn, he was a very confused young knight hanging out in a bar with an old hardhead. You have the opportunity to explain to him that he has not traversed the plains, but the planes.

Edit: I think he was from Krynn at least, it’s been a few years.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 21, 2020

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

One of my friends gave me a big compendium of Dragonlance to read, with forwards for each section by the writers. The only one that wasn't masturbatory gushing over Tolkien and the blandest ideas of fantasy was the guy responsible for gnomes.

"I got the idea for gnomes from having three different roommates in college who were all mechanical engineers. One of them built a drat faraday cage for the microwave because he kept leaving the fork on his plate. God, gently caress mechanical engineers."

Best part of the book imo

I think tinker gnomes could be genuinely, well, not cool, but at least fun if divorced from Dragonlance. The regular gnomes as depicted in 2nd edition were dull as dishwater. Give them a workshop full of clock- and steampunk poo poo and a magic bottle of adderall that never runs out, well that’s a hell of a lot less boring. I want to play a tinker gnome who zips around the battlefield on a homemade BMX bike, lobbing homemade grenades which may or may not go off at my enemies.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Lucky Guy posted:

In the early 2000s WotC published the Book of Vile Darkness, a ~super edgy~ DnD supplement with rules for drugs, demon worship, sex, all that great stuff. To advertise for it, they included a special section in their monthly magazine Dragon, a set of sealed pages that you had to cut open if you wanted to read them. Tracy Hickman called receiving his copy of the magazine in his mailbox terrorism and compared it to 9/11.

Yeah but then he read the book and said he overreacted and that it wasn’t anywhere near as edgy as anything produced by white wolf.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

In late 90s TSR culture, mentioning White Wolf in any positive context could get you fired.

This is (as I understand it) not an exaggeration.

They also didn’t allow developers to play test their games because the boss, who was not a gamer and hated nerds, considered it to be “playing games on company time”. So if you ever noticed balance issues (or a system just plain not working) back then, that was why.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Balance issues affect everyone.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Black August posted:

The P&P RPG development scene has always been crawling and infested with sex criminals and creeps

I know, it takes a pretty sick mind to come up with kender.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Whoever wrote that really hates kender

Probably because they’re horrible little shits. They also wear man buns, which is also awful.

Edit: I swear i saw an official illustration of a kender with a man bun at least once

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 27, 2020

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

I mean, they're literally Tolkien-style orcs, they're horrible monsters and that's what they do.

In Grunts! they’re also US marines, so there’s that, too.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Weka posted:

They're horrible monsters and that's what they do.

:thejoke:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

No one said the therapy wasn’t court ordered.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Children should be traumatized by what they read. I read Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs when I was 11 and 12. Fantasy and sci-fi need to be even more hosed up than those. Removing perversion from fantasy and sci-fi would be like removing magic and spaceships, the center just wouldn’t hold, it’d be utter madness, next thing you know it’d be jocks writing all the wizard books and there’d only be arousing, non-gross sex scenes filled with consenting adults.

Seriously, it’s for the gross people, leave it that way.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I only read the Harry Turtledove story about teddy bear aliens invading earth, and they only had matchlock pistols as their weapons even though they had FTL travel, because apparently FTL drives are renaissance level technology but humans somehow never invented them either as a fluke or because of some kind of mental block. They were horrified when they realized we had machine guns and weapons that could destroy cities, because with their ship we were now easily able to reverse engineer warp drives and would probably take over the whole universe in short order.

It was pretty boss and fun.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

there wolf posted:

A small codicil- if you didn't think very hard about what you're putting in your book and rely on old tropes and/or whats popular right at the moment, then you rightfully deserve to get lumped in with the same broad criticisms of those things. You want to have some generic orc bad guys, then be prepared to deal with people connecting it to the long racist history of savage brutes in media.

Orcs exist to be killed. They aren’t real. Ascribe any qualities you want to them that would make them without exception deserving of the slowest, most gruesome death player characters could supply them with. I mean, if you’re the DM of course.

I mean, this poo poo ain’t real, it’s not just not real, it’s EXTREMELY not real. Biological essentialism is recognized as bullshit by everybody that matters. It’s pretend. And if I’m not allowed to discriminate against filthy slips halflings then I don’t really see the point in playing tabletop rpg’s anymore.

I mean, we can at least all agree that halflings are filthy mushroom-munching shoeless hillbillies that belong at the bottom of a dumb orc’s stew pot, right?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

PetraCore posted:

Sorry you can't see the actual real-world racial issues that are touched on when people decide to describe orcs like the most racist colonial motherfucker razing Africa described black people, just giving them green skin and tusks. If you're comfortable in game making fun of different fictional species I honestly don't care, but the stuff in the actual sourcebook should, yes, actually consider the comfort levels and implications involved.

I don’t care. That means I win.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Black August posted:

keep it to yourself and let people try to play their pretend games in a way that's comfortable for them to escape the fuckshit world with
you and some want mindless hordes, me and some want a slower take with different issues

and no gently caress you I like hobbits

I like thoughtful orcs. I really like it when they have elaborate philosophical, theological, and practical justifications for their periodic murderous crusades against human and half-elf villages (elves are basically extinct in my setting). I didn’t say they didn’t have the ability to reason, just that they probably aren’t interested in engaging with you about it while they’re burning down your village. They’re assholes, not monsters, like filthy foot-fetishist halflings.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

PetraCore posted:

Not caring about racism doesn't mean you win. It means you're enabling racism.

No, I win because you care and I don’t. You really didn’t grow up in the 90’s, did you? The person who cares less about anything wins automatically.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

PetraCore posted:

I don't care.

You’re on the right path, I feel proud.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

You mean Kinder, because I'm with you totally there.

It’s Kender, with an E. I haven’t said anything about people misspelling it until now but I’ve had some wine and feel like it’s necessary. Yes they’re halflings written to appeal more to a pedophile Mormon no wait I meant pedophile audience.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Barudak posted:

The fact that Kender exist and killing them is bad is all the evidence you need that the Gods must be destroyed

Maltheism is the only philosophy that makes sense in a blatantly supernatural multiverse.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Anybody know of a really gory fantasy novel or series of novels? I’m in the mood for something really immoral, vile, gross, and graphic. A good plot with fun characters would also be a plus. I can’t be scared away by mere yuckiness. I prefer weird disgusting violence and horror over weird disgusting sex and fetishes, but I’m willing to let it slide if need be.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

xcheopis posted:

Nicholas Eames Kings of the Wyld
Maybe Glen Cook's Black Company series?

The black company series wasn’t free with my amazon prime subscription so I’ll have to look into that. Haven’t heard of the first one, will look into it immediately. Like, by the time you read this I’ll be reading the intro. Have a good night. :)

Fake edit: typing in “ki” resulted in google recommending me “kings of the wyld” so I’ll pretend they aren’t reading my mind

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Ok i bought the wyld one will check out the others later

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Ok I bought all your recommendations on audible, please don't suggest any more, I've only got one credit left. Also, thanks.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

What are some hosed up fantasy* novels? I want to read some hosed up fantasy* novels.

*or science fiction

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

hosed up how?

Like in any way. It could be offensive in some way, or shockingly graphic, or it’s just so creative it just makes you say "man that’s hosed up". I guess anything that elicits a reaction of "man that’s hosed up" will work.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Elric of melnibone is great, hosed up skinny white guy

Erekose is better. He commits not one, but two genocides in his very first book. That’s hosed up.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Hellequin posted:

All the eternal champion incarnations are pretty dope, I think Jerry Cornelius will always be my favourite. The Hawkmoon/Runestaff series is fun too because you can totally tell the whole thing was written in one 48 hour amphetamine binge.

It was also read by me in a 48 hour amphetamine binge!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I started reading Imajica. I’m two chapters in and there’s a shitload of footnotes that are utterly loving bizarre, so I have a feeling it’s going to go loving nuts asap.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

I just caught up on this thread and I just wanted to say that Wheel of Time is actually cool & good

Is wheel of time the one where casting spells requires a woman to receive a bare-bottom spanking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

No it's just strongly encouraged. Also when not casting spells.

Well, i guess it’s not my place to judge other cultures