Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
You can get all you need to know about Goodkind from one hilarious Q and A he did.

http://cgi1.usatoday.com/mchat/20030805003/tscript.htm

Weymouth, MA: In your opinion who is the most must-read, cutting edge writer publishing today?

Terry Goodkind: Ayn Rand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I will never not believe his cause of death was COVID, probably after yelling in a Walgreens that he won't wear a mask as it is no man's responsibility to live his life for anyone else and anything else is Communism.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/967567775265886209

They did have the same ponytail.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Goodkind hated a cover to one of his last books so much he held a contest on his Facebook that the 10 best burns of it or something would win a signed copy of his book. When the artist responded saying he did the art he was told to, Goodkind told him to stop stirring the pot.

Also the cover was completely fine.

https://i.imgur.com/LL97A18.jpg

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Is there some kind of cutoff date for that? Like, authors prior to 2000 or whenever get some kind of a begrudging pass?

There was some scifi series I read ages ago with a parallel universe where Neanderthals didn't die out but instead became the only human species on that world. It was all idyllic until humans from our world showed up and caused chaos. Eventually the Neanderthal scientists dealt with this by engineering a virus that killed any human with a Y chromosome that crossed over into their world, since men were the source of the issues due to their natural aggression or whatever, which I thought was quite stupid even then.

This is Robert J Sawyer's Neanderthal Parallax trilogy and it's vaguely different from what I remember.

An evil human capitalist business villian is the one who comes up with the virus to kill all the Neanderthals in order to take over the parallel Earth which hasn't been hosed over by climate change and overpopulation like ours. The human scientist he's got working on the virus is the one who changes it to target all human males instead of all Neanderthals.

Which is kinda hosed up because human scientist is actually doing this because he feels guilty for raping multiple women at the start of the trilogy because he thinks he's being passed over for promotions because he's a white man. And it's only after being castrated by a Neanderthal that his anger towards woman goes away and he decides men are the real problem in society. I don't think the book painted him as a hero in any way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Look, I didn't even get into the fact that all the Neanderthals are enlightened bisexual atheists and only meet up with their opposite gender partners once a month for sex romps, or that all the women have synchronizated menstrual cycles and men stay completely out of the cities during that time, or that they really, really love practicing eugenics.