Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Dragonlance sucked so bad that in Spelljammer, you could tale a magic space barge between fantasy world settings but once you got to Krynn you couldn't leave because of the Phlogiston flow or something. So even your imagination wouldn't let you leave that dumbass world without sucking off a powerful wizard and they were too busy at their enclaves torturing children under the guise of testing them like some kind of hosed up Hogwarts arm of Penn State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

I was working at a bookstore when Goodkind released the first of his Sword of Truth series. It was genuinely hailed as a refreshing change from Tolkien-dominated fantasy by a lot of early articles about it but, one reviewer noted- the torture scene in the middle was a bit much. That probably should have been a hint that trouble was ahead. I unwittingly inflicted that series on a bunch of friends so, uh, sorry for the mess.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Bismuth posted:

Then they all get reincarnated, and she comes back and is super good at everything, and also super racist (not kidding)

Pre-9/11 Salvatore was all about how race and environment doesn't necessarily shape a character's alignment. Post-9/11 Salvatore was all about "good" supremacy and how evil followers of evil gods do evil things.

It's hilarious because he spends thousands of pages trying to get across how his main character shouldn't be judged by the color of his skin and race and thousands more telling you why you should never trust elves with dark skin because they are raised to be psychopathic murder machines.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

I had to stop reading the Foundation series because I couldn't get the mental image of a whole civilization of psychologists communicating via a means that resembled a seizure.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

super sweet best pal posted:

Do you think there's still a market for bad sci-fi/fantasy pulp? Not that I'd sell well because I prefer to keep my sex fantasies separate from my regular work.

Let me introduce you to the millions of gigs of space taken up on Amazon's servers under the aegis of self publishing

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Thinking about Robert Aspirin running "Pervect/Pervert" into the ground for 20+ books before God took mercy on him.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

You have to give it to Dragonlance- a backstory like a high priest demanded that he be made a god and the gods' answer was to drop a flaming mountain on him and obliterating everything within a hundred miles before petulantly abandoning the people of the world to hundreds of years of darkness is pretty metal.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ugh whiteface drow is probably offensive

Fanfic Drizzt where he also battles the prejudice that comes with having vitiligo sounds like it's a few name changes away from the next Twilight series.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

there wolf posted:

How has Harry Turtledove not come up yet? Are there not enough history nerds reading this thread who were really taken with the idea of aliens invading right before WWII kicks off so Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin, and Hilter suddenly all have to team up to defeat an external threat?

Guns of the South had one woman in it and she was a sex hole for the men of the regiment who knew she was a sex worker. The sex worker was saved from sex work by one of the main characters at the end of the book. The South wasn't thaaaaaaat bad because the institution of slavery was obsolete any way they just wanted to do it on their terms, guuuuuuuuyyyyyys!

I didn't read any of the other books, but with Turtledove it's probably more fan service.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone else like William Forstchen and his Lost Regiment series until you found out he co-authored a book with Newt Gingrich which..., you guessed it, let Nazi Germany survive WW2?

"1945 is an alternate history written by Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen in 1995 that described the period immediately after World War II in which the United States had fought only against Japan, which allowed Nazi Germany to force a truce with the Soviet Union, and the two victors confront each other in a cold war, which swiftly turns hot."

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Black August posted:

in retrospect the massive number of books involving alt-time Nazi places which get loving detail are just no-poo poo suspect in the extreme

This is why I can't do WW2 miniature wargaming- you get a lot of guys who really, absolutely need to play an SS battalion every time. It's two hours with the Nazi-enthusiast, Army Navy store owner from "Falling Down"

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Lysistrata posted:

I have a question about the drizzt books-- i read them years back, of course, never got to the point where he married Catti-Brie but i was familiar with them. I just flipped through the wiki and saw where reincarnated Catti-Brie is all genocidal. People in the thread mentioned this as proof that whatsisface the author had brainworms from 9/11, but the wiki says her being okay with genocide caused drizzt not to follow their god anymore and denounce the genocidal business? That seems like it's not exactly him going brainworms, so i guess im just asking like... what is going on with that? Is he really endorsing that position? Im missing some context here and wondering if anyone can fill it in.

No, I'm not gonna go read the books, gently caress that. I have better ways to occupy my time. But that seems a bit less brainwormy than goons in the thread have portrayed it. What am i missing?

I don't know that it was really brainworms but in the early 00s Salvatore had an arc that established an Orc kingdom that wanted to be civilized and work with the surrounding city states only to shift without a clutch and say that once the orc nation was subverted by the outside influence of followers of an evil god it was time to lead a crusade to unmercifully kill all of them. His books also kind of bounce around with the introduction of new editions and tie-ins so was it the start of a new campaign or box set release? So he never really came out and went full Nugent but it's interesting that he went that way during a time when Islam was being vilified by the right.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

I completely misremembered that and thought it was from Unearthed Arcana.

the 1e core books should go in this thread, come to think of it. they're some of the worst instruction sets I've ever read in my life, barring bad translation

They tried to warn you by naming it "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" but you didn't listen.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Atopian posted:

Even as a child I noticed the crippling weakness of the combination "relies on others to save him from his body's frailty" and "is a complete rear end in a top hat to others". Never a tempting character.

This is the origin story of, like, almost every music scene dude in the 90s and the basis of indie rock.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

I just cannot imagine a Weis and Hickman Dragonlance book written in TYOOL 2020 being anything but cringeworthy and I'm completely unsurprised if Wizards editors took a look at what they'd turned in and decided "Nope".

Imagining them being like "Boy wizard? I'll show that hack a story about a boy wizard" and the resulting 1500 pages came out super TERF-ey and Mein Kampf-ey.

"It was the 2016, the Year of the Chromatic Dragon and the Gender Wars, I mean Kender Wars were just beginning..."

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 1, 2020

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Atopian posted:

The Year Of Our War by Steph Swainson is pretty hosed up without being particularly offensive.
Doesn't really belong in this thread because it's... average to slightly above, or at least memorable, while definitely being different to a lot of fantasy.

It's kind of hosed up because Jim-Morrison-with-wings as the main character reads like something any high school kid would write and the author kind of stitches together something that pointedly avoids a lot of the genre's cliches but I think it's more cheesy than offensive. Like it's an ok read but you're not going to be moved by it to read up on gender theory or shoot up a school.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Looks pretty studly to me tbqh

Ah yes, the book about how a free man under his own power can topple communism with the power of art.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

.random posted:

Oh, well that is cool, really not making it about himself :shobon:

Oh.

I was working in a bookstore when it came out and it was huge- all the major publications were jerking him off because it was being sold as the first work of fantasy in decades that wasn't beholden to Tolkien. Critics almost universally praised the book while also saying things like, "the 25-page torture scene in the middle was a bit much" so that should tell you how hard up fantasy publishing was in the 90s.... then he got really weird.

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 12, 2022

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Goodkind was really good at writing horrifying scenes that have stuck in my memory for 20+ years, but not for the reasons he intended

Wasn't the gotcha at the end of one of the books the virgin Confessor, who was Richard's love interest, let his half brother bang her FOR MAGICAL SAVE-THE-WORLD REASONS but SURPRISE it wasn't the half brother it was Richard which set off the next book because he felt she was way into banging his half brother.

Goodkind was definitely the kind of guy who had a lock on the inside of his bedroom door that needed a key he had on a chain around his neck to open.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

The first Dragonlance trilogy is explicitly a novelization of the D&D campaign that inspired it, so yes, it reads like that on purpose.

I think there are parts where it's like "so the characters are just kind of milling around POINTEDLY NOT GOING WHERE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO GO in the woods so suddenly AN ELF APPEARS and tells the characters to go down the drat road they have been avoiding for 20 minutes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

It certainly has emboldened people

"So, I saw that Brandon Sanderson was able to raise millions for four new books that didn't even have known titles or basic premises, so I figured, if a super famous fantasy author with an enthusiastic, global following and his own publishing company can do it, then why can't a completely unknown non-fantasy non-author with a small home office and an inkjet printer do the same?! This is America after all.

Of my four new books, know that none of them are written in the Cosmere. They are something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I won't tell you anything else about them. No, absolutely nothing. Because that is somehow better. I don't understand it either."

Only registered members can see post attachments!