Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

User Error posted:

I always thought old Saabs were designed by people who had heard of cars but never actually seen one up close and personal. Why why why is the motor backwards? Why is everything else the way it is?

Also the motor is half a v8, but the half came before the v8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I love this car and this thread. 99 Turbo is way up on my list to own.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Tomarse posted:

After chasing down some gremlins in my wiring and spilling petrol all over the garage floor I made it do this!

https://youtu.be/HbMKkAgiP-o

Hell yeah, sounds tight to me!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I just love it when I get to remove parts I just finished installing.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

MrOnBicycle posted:

Those wheels are epic even if I generally don't like black wheels. But these have a cool rear end "texture". What bolt pattern are those?

Incas are 4x114.3, same as my Honda wagon. I've been thinkin' about putting these Swedish shoes it for some time.

Here's a thought I came up with to accent the Incas, not sure about it. I stole the color from the stripe but I think they look too busy this way.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Tomarse posted:

I have never seen incas on any other car. please do it!

yeah that colour is far too busy. I'm trying to go for simple here!

That looks pretty fantastic. If I do them on my wagon they’ll be powdercoated white to match the body. But I’ve always thought if you did a high contrast job around the steps in the right way, then from high angles and at speed they’d act a bit like a lenticular painting.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Despite their chunky appearance Incas are terribly soft. I'd look to get them trued instead of purchasing another example given the likelyhood of finding another ovoid example.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Haha that's awesome, I love it when parts hoarding gets justified.....See! I knew I would need this one day! :v:

It will happen some day, and it will be glorious when it does because I don't even know what this big bastard fits. I have three of them.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Tomarse posted:

Welcome to the 80's

Unf, I just wanna take it home and jam stuff up the back of it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We're into the little annoying stuff now. This is greathell.

My least favorite cause it's always just a sooooo close.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
This is what I did with my IHC saddelbag tank:

1: Fill with water and lye, leave out in hot sun a day.

2: Electrolysis; I used a 12v battery, a battery charger to keep it topped up, some jumper cables, and coat hangers as the anode. The tank itself is the cathode. Watch out for hydrogen gas and sparks.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Some things are worth buying. My tank adventure took weeks and resulted in a very nasty infection when I cut my hand. Also I ignited some of the hydrogen gas that had collected inside the tank once; That sent hot nasty rust water shooting out the pump hole like a geyser. I had the time to take because the IH had another saddlebag tank that I could run the truck on.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I shopped mine around to a few old-school radiator shops but they were all like “lol, nope” after I told them I was only able to get 9 gallons out of it from full. So much sludge. Also the length was a problem for a lot of shops that otherwise would have boiled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
The hardest part for me is always all the fiddley bits.