Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hell yeah great job on that top. Every post in this thread has been like two weeks worth of progress for me, you're cruisin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Getting the top laser straight would require a skim coating of body filler across the whole thing and a lot of block sanding. I don't blame you for drawing a line somewhere. I'd also bet some of the dips and imperfections came from body flexing.

Looks good from here though!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tomarse posted:

When i started on this car i specifically vowed that I was not trying to restore it to concours condition but was going for 'usable and wont go any rustier' - but with paint surface prep I find it hard to stop trying to make it flawless!

Yeah holy poo poo I wish someone had warned me of that. The lid of my truck looks good... but I kept going back to it when I'd catch something in a weird light. Or I'd find a rock chip. Or I'd fix a few rock chips and say 'no that's fine' but if the filler came out for anything else I'd end up getting just a few more little spots.

Are there any difficulties getting paint there? What are you using?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tomarse posted:

Its further away than it looks in the photo. The pump is actually further away from the exhaust than the stock fuel accumulator (pressurised reservoir - now removed) originally was.

Feels like I'm making lovely progress, but i think I'm basing some of this on the fact that i haven't yet managed to refit any of the interior that is piled up in my house

You're cruising bud. You're really doing well on this, especially for the time of year. Of you cruise around the forum it feels like a lot of people are just resting. I haven't done anything noteworthy in months.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

trouser chili posted:

Some things are worth buying. My tank adventure took weeks and resulted in a very nasty infection when I cut my hand. Also I ignited some of the hydrogen gas that had collected inside the tank once; That sent hot nasty rust water shooting out the pump hole like a geyser. I had the time to take because the IH had another saddlebag tank that I could run the truck on.

Those SOBs are so long and a pain in the rear end. I had mine rigged up from the rafters and I teeter tottered it back and forth with gravel and acid inside. I only coated one of mine, and if I decide I need to mess with the other it's going to a radiator shop.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Nice work! It seems like every time I use my spot cleaner the water coming back is that dirty, and yet I'm impressed every time. How do these carpets and seats get so filthy?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

sharkytm posted:

Because humans are filthy? And don't take their shoes off when everything a vehicle?

I feel the same about my robot vacuum.

Even the seats tho, and I meant the carpet in my shoes off house.