Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That's just how online co-op games work though, Gunfire is the same way but with 1hr runs (but you can take a knee when you clear a room).

DRG has suffered from some in-mission event bloat though. Sure you don't have to do every event you come across in a mission but in co-op it is very likely someone will smash the button. That can make quick mission drag a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can pause in solo DRG, yeah.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I can't imagine DRG solo being nearly as much fun as running with a team, but probably half of my time in Gunfire Reborn is solo and it works well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

WhiteHowler posted:

I can't imagine DRG solo being nearly as much fun as running with a team, but probably half of my time in Gunfire Reborn is solo and it works well.

Yeah the mechanics of DRG are very tailored to co-op, while Gunfire's co-op feels more punishing and less cooperative. Both are fun games, just different games with different mechanics that alter how suited each is for co-op vs single player.

I will say that gunfire's scaling feels pretty lovely for co-op. It just makes everything a sponge as far as I can tell. DRG has some damage scaling but primarily goes with spawn rate, which works well since DRG has a lot more emphasis on crowd control and AOE weapons.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Gunfire coop is fun with a friend in discord where you can swap scrolls and work together, I haven't done much random matchmaking though

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

"In this update, we have updated the gameplay for the three weapons [Justice], [Thunder Storm], and [Woodpecker], and added a new character attribute of DMG Resistance. In addition, we have added a batch of new mission gameplay for [Heaven's Mandate] in [Bizarre Dream], and added the new function [Imprinting] to the [Transcendent Arsenal].

More new content for the fourth quarter is being prepared enthusiastically, and the next version update will be released in late November. Stay tuned!"
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1217060/view/3731854112016220841

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/GunfireReborn/status/1724027119225975035

Endless option incoming.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Update is out
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1217060/view/3900742181577061578?snr=1_5_9_

quote:

Stages
[Bizarre Dream]
Added a new option in [Bizarre Dream]:
Endless Journey (Only available in Reincarnation level 9): After defeating the final boss of [Hyperborean Jokul], players can choose to embark on an endless adventure, exploring the limits of the levels within a limited time.

In the [Endless Journey]:
Enemies will become stronger, and their DMG resistance will continuously increase.
The non-cursed scroll carrying limit is 60, and recycling scrolls can provide certain bonus enhancements.
The Golden Goblet has been corrupted by demonic energy and can only replace existing ascensions with new ones. Besides, players can recycle excessive golden goblets to obtain extra bonus effect.
The Peddler, Craftsman, and Spiritual Remnant appearances will be reduced, while the Phantom Peddler and Training Master will no longer appear.
The Vault will no longer open, and defeating non-boss enemies will no longer drop coins and essences.
A new countdown system is introduced, starting at 10 minutes, and completing levels will add a certain duration.
After the countdown ends, players can still challenge the current boss, but the portal to the next act will be permanently closed.

Adjustments to some tasks in [Mission from Above]:
Each time a weapon is used to achieve a defeat/assist, the time limit for the [Weapon Forge] series tasks will be refreshed.

New Stages:
[Longling Tomb], [Anxi Desert], and [Hyperborean Jokul] have added some Vaults and random routes.

Weapons
New weapons:
[Dragon Breath]

Weapon type: Launcher
Can it be dual-wielded: Yes
Weapon description: Causes an explosion when hitting enemies. The weapon enters a charging state after firing.
Weapon skill: Activating at a specific time will complete the charge early and make the next shot penetrate enemies.
Exclusive Inscription: Each activation of the weapon increases the stack by 1 (up to 3 stacks, the stack is cleared if activation fails). At full stacks, the weapon's explosion count +1.
Unlock method: Defeat [Flame Bomber] 20 times.

[Revealer]

Weapon type: Rifle
Weapon skill: Hitting enemies multiple times while aiming puts them in a vulnerable state: all weapon damage will trigger a critical hit.
Exclusive Inscription 1: The more times the enemy's weak spot is hit, the stronger the effect of its vulnerable state.
Exclusive Inscription 2: When hitting an enemy in a vulnerable state, +80% chance of a critical hit for this shot.
Unlock method: Critically defeat [Desert Coyote] 15 times.

[Storm Chaser]

Weapon type: Melee weapon
Weapon description: Moving forward for a period of time will enter the "Accelerate" state: increase movement speed and weapon damage. Stopping forward, moving left or right, or moving backward will cause the "Accelerate" state to disappear.
Exclusive Inscription: Maintaining the "Accelerate" state gradually increases the chance of a critical hit, up to 100%. Reset when exiting the "Accelerate" state.
Unlock method: Defeat [Catfish Warrior] at close range 15 times.

edit: oh this is interesting, bots for the future?

"Added the Offline Hosting Functionality for Teammates Leaving.
Teammates leaving the game in the middle of the game will not reduce the difficulty of the game, but will automatically replenish robot teammates; the team leader can check this function on the pre-battle interface.
P.S. The application scenario of robot teammates is currently limited to taking over teammates who leave; after the function is polished and stabilized, we may support players in adding robot teammates to team battles before the start."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The endless mode sounds incredibly half-baked and nobody seems to like it.

I honestly feel like they're falling into the trap of trying to make Gunfire this incredible forever game but all of their free updates are just...weird.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

The endless mode sounds incredibly half-baked and nobody seems to like it.

I honestly feel like they're falling into the trap of trying to make Gunfire this incredible forever game but all of their free updates are just...weird.

They added an additional endless mode, because the previous one was weird, it was only for Reinc 9 for example.

In any case i believe the game already done, but they are teasing somethin in Twitter

https://twitter.com/GunfireReborn/status/1744259791013523584

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Seems like I was bang on the mark, because they just started doing seasonal content. (Seasonal content with no specific plan of what they're going to do with the retired content afterwards, classy.) It's all in-game, free-to-earn stuff, no paid money nonsense, but that poo poo is absolutely a sign they want this to be some weird goddamn forever game.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Seems like I was bang on the mark, because they just started doing seasonal content. (Seasonal content with no specific plan of what they're going to do with the retired content afterwards, classy.) It's all in-game, free-to-earn stuff, no paid money nonsense, but that poo poo is absolutely a sign they want this to be some weird goddamn forever game.

FTP?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
They do mention more characters, weapons, powers, etc as a general ongoing thing as well---basically I fully expect them and Roboquest to be merrily jousting throughout 2024 in a big way unless one or more interlopers also arrive at v1.0+ to play on their level.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

They do mention more characters, weapons, powers, etc as a general ongoing thing as well---basically I fully expect them and Roboquest to be merrily jousting throughout 2024 in a big way unless one or more interlopers also arrive at v1.0+ to play on their level.

I'll be perfectly honest my perfect pick-up-and-play shooter game would somehow combine both of them

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Runa posted:

I'll be perfectly honest my perfect pick-up-and-play shooter game would somehow combine both of them

Same. They both scratch different itches in the right way, but the spots are so close together I wish they overlapped more.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In a better world, some wild "Hey, a portal.." official crossover bullshit would be ideal should the business entanglements somehow get waved away and they embrace chaotic expectations as the clear frontrunners for the foreseeable near'ish prevailing future.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

hot take: I would not like to see any of RoboQuest in Gunfire. Just doesn't fit imo

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
I don’t want Roboquest in Gunfire or vice versa. I just wish there was a game that melded the two. Not sure where the balance would be, but sometimes Gunfire is a little too slow and too scroll dependent, and Roboquest is too fast and too gun dependent.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Proven posted:

I don’t want Roboquest in Gunfire or vice versa. I just wish there was a game that melded the two. Not sure where the balance would be, but sometimes Gunfire is a little too slow and too scroll dependent, and Roboquest is too fast and too gun dependent.

So... grenade-focused combat?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Proven posted:

Yeah, Roboquest lacks air dashing, Gunfire lacks sprinting. Roboquest has more varied runs with more content and an actual story, Gunfire has a wider variety of characters and powers (it's funny but telling when you see, essentially, dupes in the "unique" perklists of both Ranger and Recon in Robo). Roboquest has a home base hub you can mess around in and a healthier sense of balance due to more restrained metaprog, tougher enemies, and a clearly defined exp curve per run that doles out upgrades at a fairly strict pace. Gunfire gives you the ability to really just cut loose and snowball with scrolls and your build can come together in the desert in Act 2 and not, say, near the very end of a Robo run when you're just about done with Haven City.

If there was a game that had the variety of content and fine tuning of difficulty curve of Roboquest but the variety of characters and abilities of Gunfire, and a gamefeel that sat somewhere between the two, it would be my ideal roguelite shooter.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 13, 2024

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Has anyone tried this stupidly-named entry into the rogue-lite FPS genre:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1421290/Battle_Shapers/

Mega Man + Doom sounds good. 70-84% positive is kind of meh, but I can't really find consistent complaints in the reviews other than the price (which is why I'm asking about it and not just buying it)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Runa posted:

Gunfire has a wider variety of characters and powers (it's funny but telling when you see, essentially, dupes in the "unique" perklists of both Ranger and Recon in Robo).

That's more to do with early access growing pains. Ranger didn't originally exist and Recon was the only stealth class. IIRC, they basically reworked Recon and then took the leftovers and turned them into Ranger. I think Ranger's active ability was straight up originally Recon's.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

That's more to do with early access growing pains. Ranger didn't originally exist and Recon was the only stealth class. IIRC, they basically reworked Recon and then took the leftovers and turned them into Ranger. I think Ranger's active ability was straight up originally Recon's.

Yeah this explains a lot

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Runa posted:

If there was a game that had the variety of content and fine tuning of difficulty curve of Roboquest but the variety of characters and abilities of Gunfire, and a gamefeel that sat somewhere between the two, it would be my ideal roguelite shooter.

More or less this.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/GunfireReborn/status/1768097479369830579

I bought the first two dlcs, but I don't think I will buy the new one, I feel I played enough the game at this point.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
New character DLCs are the only thing that can possibly move the needle for me at this point. And even then, the last one was pretty messy, not helped by launching alongside a messy patch.

I dunno if it's a weird cognitive bias but I feel like everything they've added past the first DLC has felt weird and tacked on. Even comparatively benign stuff like the new weapons just seem off.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The last two characters were unbalanced yeah, that also makes me not want to reward them with another purchase.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Balance didn't even really come into it, so much as Owl is a baffling character design and they clearly struggled to translate the tooltips for his overdesigned kit. That and the other character having a bunch of ascensions that weren't clearly labeled and led to a lot of trap picks, mainly due to the melee/ranged split on the mech.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 14, 2024

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Balance didn't even really come into it, so much as Owl is a baffling character design and they clearly struggled to translate the tooltips for his overdesigned kit. That and the other character having a bunch of ascensions that weren't clearly labeled and led to a lot of trap picks, mainly due to the melee/ranged split on the mech.

The translation thing was the most annoying to me and they've had enough time to fix the ascension descriptions. I don't think I've ever attempted more than one or two runs with Owl.

The other character is unfun because the Mecha can do all the work for you pretty much from the start. It's like having an over-levelled co-op partner.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

More than new characters in the dlc, as we have several already (10), what I would like is a new area to replace the Tomb.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just the option to randomize the order of the environments after you manage a clear would be great.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Having to option to choose paths a bit during stage transitions like they do in Roboquest would be neat. Endless mode is nice and all but usually by the time the bear's dead the session is already in "just aim at things and watch them explode" phase and tacking on another 30 - 60 minutes is not really super appealing, I'd much rather have some variety between the order of the stages. Or just randomize the spawns - gimme artillery lobsters in Tomb and penguin chaff in the desert why not.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah Gunfire could use more environments, enough that you could choose multiple paths in a run. This would be a lot more work than what most of their dlcs and patches have been adding but it's the game's main shortcoming. The alternate game modes feel like a stopgap measure more than anything.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is there just not enough variety in the sets? Because Isaac has the same start each time, but it seems to never get old.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Honestly the lack of route variety never bothered me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I can't stand the first area so yeah it's a big negative for me, alternate areas would have been big

they're kinda pushing the limits of the design they have with the latest updates, they haven't done a lot for me

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New update with new scrolls
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1217060/view/4173223997924501424

There is also a new gimmick in the new Season, you can choose 3 possible devices, and it can be upgraded over time

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So how much total dust is required for all the past season rewards? I kinda uninstalled the game back when the first season was announced because I was feeling just sorta "done" with the game, but knowing that past rewards can still be got, maybe I'll come back and try the new modes out, what kind of sink am I going to find myself in?