Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

tildes posted:

It seems like the biggest issue is that a level 3 ascension wing required to make cleave viable means that it just isn’t, and that sort of needs to get fixed first imo. I guess it’s somewhat similar to issues with grenade builds, but I’ve never actually tried to do a grenade build with either of the other two characters so idk how that would feel.

More ascension control would also be helpful though, it seems like it would make it easier to balance ascensions. I wouldn’t want it to get to the point where your build isn’t being dictated at least somewhat by the rng (eg where you can force the same build every time), but it seems like there should be a good balance that could be found.

Tbh level 3 Max Cleave is only necessary to 100% never need to fire your gun ever again. As long as you're ABP (always breaking pots) and hitting up Peddlers you really have to spam Cleave to run out though it does really suck when you do. I still love slapping enemies to death and will always remember my literally killed all of the final world without firing a single bullet (including final boss) fondly. And I only got Max Cleave to lvl 3 on the second to last stage! That said it's very much on the less viable side, and is far more dependent on the order you get your Ascensions for it in.

As for ascension control I really don't want the kind that would let you make the same build every run but literally anything that gives a bit more choice in what you acquire would be amazing. As if you just pray for Elite encounter vaults or challenges and hope the elite that spawns drops a golden goblet for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Picked this up on a lark the other day. This feels great to play, though I'm not sure how I feel about the metaprogression trees yet. Only played a half dozen games though, and not beat Lu Bu Wu or whatever yet, so we'll see

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Ciaphas posted:

Picked this up on a lark the other day. This feels great to play, though I'm not sure how I feel about the metaprogression trees yet. Only played a half dozen games though, and not beat Lu Bu Wu or whatever yet, so we'll see

Abuse the two pillars super hard on Lu Bu and he becomes 1000% easier! The meta progress which I felt mattered the most was the character specific bonuses - they can be super impactful in a way the others generally aren’t. You end up with those filled out fairly quickly though in my experience.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Game is fun but I really wish that they would have told you that the currency for self revive is the same as the one for the persistent upgrades BEFORE I wasted most of mine on revives on my first run.

EDIT: Not game ruining or anything, just a bit of a kick to the nards, is all. (Painful, but ultimately harmless. And hilarious in retrospec)

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 29, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Game is fun but I really wish that they would have told you that the currency for self revive is the same as the one for the persistent upgrades BEFORE I wasted most of mine on revives on my first run.

EDIT: Not game ruining or anything, just a bit of a kick to the nards, is all. (Painful, but ultimately harmless. And hilarious in retrospec)

Ditto. Not a big deal but I was like :argh: whyyyy

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
At least later on, it's such a small amount that you can almost always earn it back with a second life (unless you're about to get bopped by a boss and just die right away).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm getting a lot better at identifying good weapons to pick up.

+CritX is amazing with most accurate weapons, especially if you can get multipliers on the same one. And especially once you have Ascensions and Talents that boost critical damage. I'll generally take a good crit damage, autofire gun or kunai over anything else.

I found a Cavalry (not at all one of my favorite guns normally!) that had "Missed shots are returned to the magazine", as well as a bunch of crit and lucky chance bonuses. I could basically hold it down nonstop, and as soon as a couple of bullets hit something in the head, it disintegrated.

I still think Gemini inscriptions are a trap. They almost never match up, and by the time you get to act 3, you've probably already found and invested in a good weapon.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Ciaphas posted:

Took my girl and I like 15 hours to beat Lu Bu Wu. We can usually every run now, but took us forever to figure out for some reason.

Only made it to the second boss a few times, but still really enjoying the game and usually play a few hours every week at least.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Having killed Lu Wu ( or LUwU ) a lot at this point I think he's both A) a fantastic teaching boss and B) a total joke to actually fight once you learn what he's teaching.

The important lessons are bring a high dps weapon, you can shoot LUwU during his shield charge animation to keep the shield down, and learn the telegraph's of his moves and the timings to dash. If you're playing Qing Yan and somehow still haven't managed to beat Lu Wu on the regular you can also Leap through all his attacks.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Harminoff posted:

Took my girl and I like 15 hours to beat Lu Bu Wu. We can usually every run now, but took us forever to figure out for some reason.

Only made it to the second boss a few times, but still really enjoying the game and usually play a few hours every week at least.

At the start before you figure out his patterns/how to damage him he seems incredibly hard. He's also harder imo in duo than in single play. But yeah, once you crack him he becomes super easy.

The second boss the key is to get close to him, so it's easier to stay ahead of his beams in the first phase. We kept getting killed by him in the first phase over and over until we realized this.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

tildes posted:

The second boss the key is to get close to him, so it's easier to stay ahead of his beams in the first phase. We kept getting killed by him in the first phase over and over until we realized this.

It's amusing that my personal playstyle of always be in enemies faces paid off for the second boss incidentally, I've always had way less trouble than I did with Lu Wu and the final boss. That said I will add to this advice and say make sure you don't stand right in front of the second boss, but to the left or right and be prepared to dash in a direction. Best of luck getting there though, Bandit Tacitions and Rogue Arsonists will murder the hell out of you lol.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
OK so wow the cleave build totally can work under the right circumstances, y'all right. In a 3 player game I stacked 1000 bonus damage, had the +200% base damage, and the +150% skill damage after leap, and it just wrecked people. The last stage of the final biome was basically just "leap to enemies, kill all of them in 1-2 cleaves, leap to the next group and repeat". I didn't realize that you could hit the second phase of the boss with cleave at first, but once I realized that the boss also died incredibly fast. I think what also helped was having enough extra secondary capacity stuff to have 24 max stacks -- I never got the cleave regen ascension, but buying from the peddler would get you pretty far. You also do need a team who is down to sort of let you farm the last hits a little bit on enemies to get the really high base damage.

e: also the ascension which increases first shot damage + the occult scroll which increases first shot damage results in some really insane glimmering damage since every shot is a first shot.

tildes fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 31, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i like this game a lot but i wish the first area was more mixed in with the forest stuff instead of just being a gloomy temple. i am lovely at the game and get owned by snipers in the desert zone so i've never made it to the third area.

I just unlocked the bird who is very rad. i thought i would like the fat dog a lot but i don't like him so much as the cat.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

tildes posted:

OK so wow the cleave build totally can work under the right circumstances, y'all right. In a 3 player game I stacked 1000 bonus damage, had the +200% base damage, and the +150% skill damage after leap, and it just wrecked people. The last stage of the final biome was basically just "leap to enemies, kill all of them in 1-2 cleaves, leap to the next group and repeat". I didn't realize that you could hit the second phase of the boss with cleave at first, but once I realized that the boss also died incredibly fast. I think what also helped was having enough extra secondary capacity stuff to have 24 max stacks -- I never got the cleave regen ascension, but buying from the peddler would get you pretty far. You also do need a team who is down to sort of let you farm the last hits a little bit on enemies to get the really high base damage.

e: also the ascension which increases first shot damage + the occult scroll which increases first shot damage results in some really insane glimmering damage since every shot is a first shot.

You never forget your first good cleave build.

Getting a few levels of Fierce Wings helps out the most but Absolute Advantage (+Xm cleave range, +X% for every enemy within range) also lets you slap the cannons on the final boss. If you get it right you can 1 shot all the cannons on a given side each phase. And then you execute his giant dumb face. (Easy Kill also provides execute damage as well as the scaling damage buff so it's still pretty useful early on!)

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i like this game a lot but i wish the first area was more mixed in with the forest stuff instead of just being a gloomy temple. i am lovely at the game and get owned by snipers in the desert zone so i've never made it to the third area.

I just unlocked the bird who is very rad. i thought i would like the fat dog a lot but i don't like him so much as the cat.

This is absolutely one of my biggest gripes with this game on a very short list of gripes, especially for new players who are gonna be stuck playing Tomb a lot. I do hope they add more levels and some alternative level options at some point, but that'll def be a future thing at this point.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Finally made it past the Ichthyosaurus with the help of the +2 extra lives scroll (god drat that one is good). How the gently caress do I avoid that loving laser beam though? I tried dash-timing through it and always got hit and tried to side to the side as it's coming towards me and also got hit. The rest of his moveset wasn't too bad to avoid though.

Nearly made it to Lvl30, probably another couple of runs. I actually had Gemini matchup with a +5 Sticky Launcher with Spore combined with a +5 Acid Spin-up Flaky-Minigun thing with Spore and that was pretty great, too bad I ended up getting wiped stupidly almost towards the end of Level 3. Sometimes feedback for getting shot at sucks.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Xaris posted:

Finally made it past the Ichthyosaurus with the help of the +2 extra lives scroll (god drat that one is good). How the gently caress do I avoid that loving laser beam though? I tried dash-timing through it and always got hit and tried to side to the side as it's coming towards me and also got hit. The rest of his moveset wasn't too bad to avoid though.

Nearly made it to Lvl30, probably another couple of runs. I actually had Gemini matchup with a +5 Sticky Launcher with Spore combined with a +5 Acid Spin-up Flaky-Minigun thing with Spore and that was pretty great, too bad I ended up getting wiped stupidly almost towards the end of Level 3. Sometimes feedback for getting shot at sucks.

I mentioned it earlier, but for dealing with the laser you basically always want to standing to the left or right of Icky's head so when he does his laser breath wind up you have time to dash away if he starts turning toward you with it. If he doesn't turn toward you, you can safely strafe while shooting him in the mouth for all that juicy crit damage.

Final area is both fun and def the most dangerous for specific reasons (Sharks! Lanterns! :argh: )

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SaffronKit posted:

I mentioned it earlier, but for dealing with the laser you basically always want to standing to the left or right of Icky's head so when he does his laser breath wind up you have time to dash away if he starts turning toward you with it. If he doesn't turn toward you, you can safely strafe while shooting him in the mouth for all that juicy crit damage.

Final area is both fun and def the most dangerous for specific reasons (Sharks! Lanterns! :argh: )
Hmm ok I found I couldn't strafe out of it. Infact I straight up just had a time where the round started and he immediately swept me with his beam and pretty much 1-shot me almost instantly. I found I couldn't put enough distance to the left or right where he couldn't still sweep me.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Xaris posted:

Hmm ok I found I couldn't strafe out of it. Infact I straight up just had a time where the round started and he immediately swept me with his beam and pretty much 1-shot me almost instantly. I found I couldn't put enough distance to the left or right where he couldn't still sweep me.

You probably aren’t close enough to him yet - run straight towards him ASAP. The first several times we got to this boss we were confused why a boss which just insta kills you was in the game, but once you get used to getting close it gets way easier.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Xaris posted:

I'm gonna be honest this

tildes posted:

You probably aren’t close enough to him yet - run straight towards him ASAP. The first several times we got to this boss we were confused why a boss which just insta kills you was in the game, but once you get used to getting close it gets way easier.

Is so natural to me at this point I don't even think about it. The closer you are to Icky, the easier it is to stay out of the turning radius. If he isn't using his breath weapon or just finished you can safely use your dash to get further to the left or right if you need to. His turning radius is slow enough that if you get close Icky will struggle to keep up with you.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
You can also dash through the breath, in the opposite direction he's turning. You'll take a small amount of damage, but it's better than trying to outrun the beam if you're too far away. The breath won't one-shot you if you're ready to dash when he fires, even if you catch a little piece of it.

And as the bird, you can leap to recover your armor right after he breathes and safely get a little distance again before he resets.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

tildes posted:

Got it, that's good to know I didn't try that. I had tried dashing into the beam, tried running to the left and right, neither of those worked but yeah that makes sense. I've only just started playing and got to him twice getting wiped by his beam almost instantly without being able tot touch him, the third time I did beat him by brute force with the +2 extra lives Scroll after I had got past the phase where he was trying to beam me and from there on it was pretty easy to avoid the shockwaves and his swim-jump over and over.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Just had my best run so far, made it halfway through the desert biome and beat the horde level. Then I took the voice challenge and got hit with an Elite Lizard who managed to lob acid at me over a bolder, which... I didn't know he could do.

MVP of the run to Fountain of Life, with honorable mentions to Elemental Weave and Hawkeye Sight. Star Devourer and Piercing Flame weapons.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just unlocked the Dragonchaser, and oh my god it's amazing.

I had one drop with bonus crit damage and fast reload. Tagged the first boss in the head with it, held down the trigger, and he died before his first attack. The second boss wasn't too much harder, though from some angles you simply can't hit his weak spot in the first phase.

Predictably, I made one minor mistake on the last boss and got one-shotted. I wish they'd tone down the damage on the area attack - if you use your dash to avoid something else right before the barrage, you're probably dead.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
5 hours in. Favorite gun so far is the lightning ball one. I feel like a nice quality of life would be a quick melee for those mobs with a sliver of health.

FWIW, in the first boss room, you can skirt the perimeter of the arena so you are better positioned before the cutscene. Seems like the 2nd boss cutscene starts immediately though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Zet posted:

5 hours in. Favorite gun so far is the lightning ball one. I feel like a nice quality of life would be a quick melee for those mobs with a sliver of health.

FWIW, in the first boss room, you can skirt the perimeter of the arena so you are better positioned before the cutscene. Seems like the 2nd boss cutscene starts immediately though.

Wait till you meet Slappy. Everyone loves Slappy!

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

SaffronKit posted:

Wait till you meet Slappy. Everyone loves Slappy!

No kidding, every time I find one, I just build around it and end up winning my games, it's honestly making the game feel kinda boring now. That and Glimmering.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Im_Special posted:

No kidding, every time I find one, I just build around it and end up winning my games, it's honestly making the game feel kinda boring now. That and Glimmering.

Considering they nerfed the hell out of glimmerang already and it's still good I can see that as fair. I quite like playing the game myself by just picking up any weapon that has good inscriptions on it and rolling with it a bit till I find something better. Certain weapon inscriptions (especially exclusive inscriptions) really can make literally any weapon good, as well as various occult scroll synergies. I do really love you can pick up pretty weapon and make it good, but some are def more fun than others.

Slappy is best boi but making a run around him every game does get a tad boring. I will never take Advanced Depot if I am using him though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Man I had a loving bomb rear end run with great relics and a really loving great Cavalry double inscribed weapon and I just got wiped to Elite Yakasha miniboss instantly. gently caress

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah, at first while you learn, you'll probably die mostly because you screwed yourself or did know a certain thing interacted the way it did, but after while and lot of trial and error with scroll picks, you'll figure out all the OP/fun synergies that can make you a broken demi-god.

I've had runs where Dog was literally un-killable, face tanked everything, couldn't take damage more then a fraction of my giant health bar in a single hit and just healed to full with every shot, infinite uptime on duel wield (or at least until my fingers gave up, seriously I'm about to make a AHK script for this game and because of Dog), along with infinite regenerating ammo.

Nightmare is dumb though, there's to many one-shots that end up killing you, things are way more of a bullet sponge for my liking too which just slows game pace down, basically no reason to do Nightmare because all you get is maybe some extra souls for your time (I honestly don't know, because I keep getting one shotted in Act 3), and by that time you don't need souls because your sorta expected (I'd imagine) to have everything unlocked by the time you try Nightmare anyways, maybe I'll like it more after I have all my damage stuff unlocked though.

Still, games super solid and I feel it's super underrated, and just for :10bux: no less , no one seems to talks about it anywhere I've seen, like WTF! It apparently hit [img]Steam's Top 35[/img] which is impressive I guess too, must be big in China or something.

Hope they address some of the concerns I've seen talked about here and there, because those are my grips with the game too. Act's needs to get switched up on runs to help with repetitiveness, wish leveling up had more user decision then it does now, less RNG like a way to maybe veto a tree from appearing over and over again (like Dog entire Grenade Tree. Go away! I don't like you.), shooting needs to just be press-and-hold, because ugh Dogs Duel Wield, ugh.

Also game needs a Monkey.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Neat, they added the ability to "mark" an item, and that makes it visible to others so you no longer need to pick a gun up and drop it to give it to someone else.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Oh yea adding hold to shoot would be so much nicer, dual wielding feels awkward enough that dog has never really clicked with me. I have to really choose weapons based on similar shooting mechanics for it not to feel awkward.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Just beat the Elite boss co-op with my buddy.

I had this loadout at the end:

I think she had her own Illusion and a Piercing Flame with a bunch of insta-kill stuff.

We both found tons of broken scrolls. I was the bird, and I could basically leap at 600% damage on a minimum cooldown. I also had both of the regenerating damage shield scrolls, so while I wasn't invulnerable, I could laugh off the first 3-ish hits of each encounter.

This game's good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Finally got my first win.. as the dog. Man the Dog just feels so much more powerful than the cat that I breeze through it a lot easier getting to the end. Or at least at least The Dog has hell of a lot more damage potential when you get +125% damage, life steal + extra hp, Lucky Chance, avoid-death-while-in-dual wield, reload speed, and all those other ones, and especially if you get the scroll that makes Ammo always convert to your current weapon so you can dual wield the same weapon/ammo-type and never run out of ammo. Shame the grenades are such trash and I wish I could not pick them up so I could utilize +50% Damage when Secondary is 0 more. Smoke Grenades on cat kinda feel bad but at least proccing decay and the damage taken/damage dealt ascension/shield regen are nice whereas Explosive Grenades just seem useless almost entirely.

Am I missing something with building The Cat or is Dog really just that much more powerful? Whats the trick to making Cat work well? Feels bad when I just get nothing but smoke options but not the good smoke option (-damage dealt/+damage received)

I have to say I'm not really a fan of slappy, or maybe I just haven't got really good rolls on one yet but it feels really anemic and I don't really need aoe damage all that often and a little too short-range. Also not a fan of Bone Dragon/Shrieker/Bouncing Grenade/Star Destroyer/Revolver/Line gun/Angelic Aura much. Shotguns have been very disappointing although I like the Illusion a lot. I did have a really good Wild Hunt that did extra damage to close-up enemies + extra damage to effected enemies + extra damage to elite/bosses but getting that close feels pretty dangerous by the time you get to the forest. Standouts really depend on legendary inscription rolls but I've found I can do little wrong with Crimson Firescale, Cavalry, Glimmering, Woodpecker, and Laser Gloves. Tiger Cannon/Scorching Rounds/Aura of Venom can be good from what I've found but heavily roll/scroll-dependent to be good.

Talisman seems cool but I hosed up picking it up as Dog and then not being able to Dual Wield for a level. It feels more like a Cat weapon. Need to play with Scalpel more

Had a loving great Laser Glove that also shot missiles and just annihilated everything but I hosed up that Elite run :smith:

I haven't unlocked the birb yet but soon

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 3, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Y'all preferring solo or multi in this? I still don't have a win and I've unlocked birb, but I'm having a ton of fun anyway :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Xaris posted:

Finally got my first win.. as the dog. Man the Dog just feels so much more powerful than the cat that I breeze through it a lot easier getting to the end. Or at least at least The Dog has hell of a lot more damage potential when you get +125% damage, life steal + extra hp, Lucky Chance, avoid-death-while-in-dual wield, reload speed, and all those other ones, and especially if you get the scroll that makes Ammo always convert to your current weapon so you can dual wield the same weapon/ammo-type and never run out of ammo. Shame the grenades are such trash and I wish I could not pick them up so I could utilize +50% Damage when Secondary is 0 more. Smoke Grenades on cat kinda feel bad but at least proccing decay and the damage taken/damage dealt ascension/shield regen are nice whereas Explosive Grenades just seem useless almost entirely.

Am I missing something with building The Cat or is Dog really just that much more powerful? Whats the trick to making Cat work well? Feels bad when I just get nothing but smoke options but not the good smoke option (-damage dealt/+damage received)

I have to say I'm not really a fan of slappy, or maybe I just haven't got really good rolls on one yet but it feels really anemic and I don't really need aoe damage all that often and a little too short-range. Also not a fan of Bone Dragon/Shrieker/Bouncing Grenade/Star Destroyer/Revolver/Line gun/Angelic Aura much. Shotguns have been very disappointing although I like the Illusion a lot. I did have a really good Wild Hunt that did extra damage to close-up enemies + extra damage to effected enemies + extra damage to elite/bosses but getting that close feels pretty dangerous by the time you get to the forest. Standouts really depend on legendary inscription rolls but I've found I can do little wrong with Crimson Firescale, Cavalry, Glimmering, Woodpecker, and Laser Gloves. Tiger Cannon/Scorching Rounds/Aura of Venom can be good from what I've found but heavily roll/scroll-dependent to be good.

Talisman seems cool but I hosed up picking it up as Dog and then not being able to Dual Wield for a level. It feels more like a Cat weapon. Need to play with Scalpel more

Had a loving great Laser Glove that also shot missiles and just annihilated everything but I hosed up that Elite run :smith:

I haven't unlocked the birb yet but soon

I find it ironic because everywhere I've read people are always underwhelmed by Cat smoke grenades, and that is also my favorite build. Hex Smoke is just so good even after the nerf and smoke grenades are just so easy to keep going on enemies. I've also done an energy orb build that was kind of silly too, I think Cat struggles the most however with fun ascension builds.

For Slappy, much like any weapon he needs good inscriptions to really start shining. Or Dog explosion ascension build. Remember, the Dog's explosion tree affects ALL explosions, not just his grenades!

Ciaphas posted:

Y'all preferring solo or multi in this? I still don't have a win and I've unlocked birb, but I'm having a ton of fun anyway :v:

Solo, because I like being able to pause. That said I've finally been able to do some 4 man groups and it's pretty fun.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Multiplayer is more fun, but the large increases to enemy spawns and health pools unbalance some of the abilities and occult scrolls. Each player count is pretty different though.

One player: You're a chainsaw and can just rip through enemies. Once you're down, you're down.

Two players: You can still take down enemies quickly and as a bonus can get each other back up if someone goes down. Boss/elite fights can be hard because if one person goes down, the boss will focus the other, making aid very difficult.

Three players: Aiding allies is much easier, but enemies start having so much health that everyone needs to be pulling their own weight, or the later levels get overwhelming.

Four players: Amazingly fun, but it can be a slog, especially in act 2. Prepare for massive waves of bullet-sponge enemies. I actually find it a little easier than three, because if one player gets bad drops (or just isn't great at the game), the other players can more easily pick up the slack.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

WhiteHowler posted:

Multiplayer is more fun, but the large increases to enemy spawns and health pools unbalance some of the abilities and occult scrolls. Each player count is pretty different though.

One player: You're a chainsaw and can just rip through enemies. Once you're down, you're down.

Two players: You can still take down enemies quickly and as a bonus can get each other back up if someone goes down. Boss/elite fights can be hard because if one person goes down, the boss will focus the other, making aid very difficult.

Three players: Aiding allies is much easier, but enemies start having so much health that everyone needs to be pulling their own weight, or the later levels get overwhelming.

Four players: Amazingly fun, but it can be a slog, especially in act 2. Prepare for massive waves of bullet-sponge enemies. I actually find it a little easier than three, because if one player gets bad drops (or just isn't great at the game), the other players can more easily pick up the slack.

Four player is also extremely excellent for getting specific occult scroll builds for whatever character you're playing, or just consolidating builds for certain weapons/combos. So even if you have one (or two) dead weight members it's much easier to make up for it cause they literally provide an extra occult scroll roll.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Xaris posted:

Just stack general elemental damage increases and 1-2 specific type(s) of elemental damage increase. You can end up with pretty crazy damage pretty quickly. I actually feel like the cat is the easiest to build to really strong so far if you just go for a build not relying on their abilities at all.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's important to note that Cat is unique in that he ALWAYS has access to the Corrosion damage and it's related status effect with smoke grenades. Always carrying at least a fire or lightning weapon means you can always have Explosion or Blight status effects going on any enemy you're shooting without having to switch to a different weapon. This alone is very powerful. I have occasionally pulled some of the elemental ascensions and they are kinda just good. Especially the Corrosion one since it can double dip for smoke builds. Cat also has some decent defensive ascensions but they aren't nearly as amazing as Dog or Birb's, so is more reliant on not dying via the occult scrolls you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
The newest patch finally added the ability to cancel out of the "ready" state, finally. It also made it so the bird's "max cleave" ascensions regen uses on a cleave kill. I wonder if it will be significant enough that I can stop praying for the "double consumables max" scroll every run.