Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Holy poo poo what's wrong with this people. Like, what is balance.
I played a game with the red panda, to do like I said before, trying to do a missile build and I couldn't. The stupid mech would insta kill everything! and it never was killed! I thought you would be able to summon it with your ability for x seconds, but no, it's basically permanent and the primary skill button serves to change stances.
Do you know how with the 3 ascensions to pick up, sometimes you can't pick up a talent from the tree you want, right? That happened to me so even if I didn't want, I ended with a single health upgrade for the mech and the 'now the mech can fire missiles too' talent full upgraded. That was enough to trivialize the game. It played by itself.
They can lower the mech health by 30% and the damage by 66% (ie, three times less than now!) and it still would be a great ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I don't understand the card-based character at all. Even the ascensions hurt my brain. I do know that the secondary skill is like the talisman's alternate attack except it does decent damage instead of elemental effects. It may be because I was using the flying spikes, which also involve pointing at enemies until they die, but I think a skill-only run might be viable. And I don't even know what's going on with the primary skill.

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

After one run, I think it's something like this:

He starts with 4 "slots", the black boxes at the bottom middle of the screen. Various effects fill them with "astroaspects", and they determine the strength of his primary skill. Each astroaspect has a rarity, normal, rare, legendary, or cursed. If all your slots are filled with the same rarity, then you have an "astrohouse" of that rarity and his primary skill is stronger. Cursed rarity is wild. If rarities are mixed, then you have an "impure astrohouse" and the skill is not stronger.

If you look at the occult scroll screen while playing him, you can see the odds of each rarity being drawn whenever you fill a slot randomly. The odds are based on the rarity of the scrolls you own. There are also buttons that let you choose to slightly weight the odds in a way I don't fully understand.

When using his secondary skill, a slot is filled randomly (and also it makes homing cards that attack enemies). Upon using his primary skill, all empty slots are filled randomly before it fires. Various ascensions interact with the slots, e.g. give you non-random slot fills, or automatically reroll slots when you get an impure astrohouse.

Also on the occult scroll screen, you can reroll scrolls once his first talent is obtained. You get rerolls whenever getting ascensions (i.e. golden goblets). Rerolls always result in a scroll of equal or greater rarity. I often got higher rarity, so rerolling seems like it could be ridiculously strong. I never saw the option to upgrade that the talent mentions, maybe that was bugged?

The colored meter near the bottom of the screen seems like it's somehow indicating the odds of getting an astrohouse if you cast your primary skill, but it might not take ascensions into account.

I might be misinterpreting some things but hopefully this is enough to make some sense of the big text boxes on his ascensions.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Come one guys, it can't be that complicated!

Let me try it for the first time...

Current probabilities? Upgrade times? Resets?
And that bar below the primary skill indicator?

...forget what I said.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
As a heads up, someone is speedrunning Gunfire Reborn tonight at Summer Games Done Quick.

The category is "Qing Yan - Full Game - Reincarnation 1". There's currently an incentive goal to bump it up to Reincarnation 8.

I'm not familiar with the particular runner, but it'll probably be a fun watch.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's honestly kind of dumb because it *isn't* that complicated, and the payoff isn't worth all the badly translated text

throw cards, use primary occasionally, that's it

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

I'm now thinking that the "upgrades" the talent mentions actually interact with the weighting options on the occult scroll screen. Like one upgrade lets you treat a normal scroll as a rare scroll or a rare one as a legendary for the purpose of weighting rarities. The buttons let you decide how to assign the upgrades as a batch, so you don't have to micromanage which scrolls get upgraded.

It is way more moving pieces than it ever needed to be, and definitely not worth worrying about in combat. Just press E.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

holy poo poo lmaowl. Owl is bolded captial Busted. You don't even need weapons, activate some of your goddamn homing trap cards. More like Yugi-Owl.

Also the brick is amazingly satisfying. :allears:

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 2, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Why Owl is Busted:

You have homing cards that do a shitload of damage and their build just lets you fire infinite amounts of them for almost no cost.

You have a talent that means you are 20% more likely to get level 2+ ascensions to show up meaning you will hit your build sooner than later.

Occult scroll chest not give you want you want? You get to reroll any occult scroll you want to once for free*.

You are an owl. Hoot hoot.

*one free reroll per ascension you take.

As for his abilities, they're actually pretty straightforward and it's just the text explaining it is just a bit arranged to convey the meaning succinctly.

Your primary ability is an AOE attack that does more things on your card hand.

You draw cards by using your secondary ability, 1 per cast by default. The card type you draw is based on a % probability you can see in your Occult Scroll inventory screen tab. It is based on the rarities of each occult scroll in your inventory. If all the colors match the primary ability does extra stuff.

You can skew the probability of drawing specific rarities as you get extra "rarity upgrade" tokens regardless of what ascension you take, using 3 different options in your Occult Scroll inventory. It's best to use the button that gives you the highest odds on one rarity.

Those are the basics! There are ascensions that let you manipulate the cards you draw better, and also there's clearly a build that lets you dump cards for benefits. Honestly though the secondary ability is busted right now, I slept through my first run I did on R4 as Owl.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Ive never had an R8 game be as eassy as a double panda run, goddamn. The mech itself practically soloes the first two bosses.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

This has some decent explanation: https://www.reddit.com/r/GunfireReborn/comments/13xg0xd/an_early_guide_to_owl/

Some of the new weapons are interesting too. That new wolf AR that apples voracity/howl is extremely effective even though I have no clue what Voracity or Howl do. Wish I could figure out how Star Ring works because that looks interesting too.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 2, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fishstick posted:

This has some decent explanation: https://www.reddit.com/r/GunfireReborn/comments/13xg0xd/an_early_guide_to_owl/

Some of the new weapons are interesting too. That new wolf AR that apples voracity/howl is extremely effective even though I have no clue what Voracity or Howl do. Wish I could figure out how Star Ring works because that looks interesting too.

Thanks.

I was a bit facetious before, in reality I had understood already the basics, except the bar indicator on the hud (it seems it just shows graphically the odds you will have if you use the primary skill without 'loading the deck' before) and the upgrade part was a bit confusing because it is mentioned together the 'reroll scrolls' element, which is totally separate thing. the upgrade is just for the astroaspects considerations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

Why Owl is Busted:

Both new characters are busted:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GunfireReborn/comments/13y4ak3/so_the_new_characters_are_pretty_fun_fastest_ive/

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I bet. Gonna do a run with Panda tonight, the only reason I didn't was someone already mentioned they were busted and wanted to try and parse Yugi-Owl for myself.

I wonder if the devs were expecting this or are surprised at how strong they are.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Evil Kit posted:

I bet. Gonna do a run with Panda tonight, the only reason I didn't was someone already mentioned they were busted and wanted to try and parse Yugi-Owl for myself.

I wonder if the devs were expecting this or are surprised at how strong they are.

They have seemed extremely content to release ever more powerful stuff, and also let the game scale back in ever more extreme ways. I'm here for it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Osmosisch posted:

They have seemed extremely content to release ever more powerful stuff, and also let the game scale back in ever more extreme ways. I'm here for it.

The last pair were fairly balanced imo, it was the bizarre dreams that def upped the power level with that dlc and I don't disagree with you about loving it lol.

The most recent pair are impressively excessive though, and Owl especially feels a tad bit overdesigned compared to the rest of the cast. Still fun AF.

What I'm most curious about is how the bizarre dream mode that lets you pick two ascensions(spiritual blessings?) from other characters to potentially find during a run will shake out. Gonna def have some fun with that.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I tried that Transcendant fusion thing and it can be incredibly helpful if you get lucky. Getting to pick up some of Dog's defensive abilities on a squishy class is a gamechanger.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Dang. I just checked, and I got 90 hours in this game (all coop with the wife) and we still have yet to beat nightmare :(

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nightmare is the biggest roadblock you'll hit imo, the jump in difficulty combined with the lack of Spiritual Blessings mean you need to hit a build early with enough defensive measures to complete the build to win.

Probably easier to beat with the dlc characters now though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm still amazed with how unbalanced are the new dlc heroes. It can't be they didn't notice some specific broken interaction between abilities or something, as it's noticeable without having a entire build, with the first elite or boss you find, when you barely have 3 or 4 ascensions and a few scrolls. How can you go from having a 60-120 seconds fight to a 5 seconds fight and think the balance is fine.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
its orbin time

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hell yeah. The new Masterful Craftsmanship scroll that forces 2 exclusive inscriptions on every weapon but limits it to 4 inscriptions total is honestly really fun, literally any weapon you find can be busted. I'm amused many of the weapons and occult scrolls added also feel busted alongside the DLC heros.

How busted you might ask though? Take this Deafening Mortar I found right after picking up the scroll!

Looks pretty fun let's take it for a spin- hol' up.

Why are there 103 shots in the magazine, I don't have anything that should be able to cause that-

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/688505362109956151/1114330567815745606/103_mortar_shells.mp4

:catstare:

Busted in more ways than one! Yes it fires all 103 mortar shells. No I have no idea why it does that lol.

edit: I think it's the new Special Ammo scroll? If so that's incredibly busted.

edit edit: it's not. Not sure what caused it, I tried another deafening mortar and it didn't have the same thing. Very weird lol.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 3, 2023

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Was reminded that I had this game because of the roguelike thread (thanks Evil Kit), so I thought hey why not try out the red panda with her robot buddy. The game then proceeds to not give me any robot-based ascensions so I just ended up with a gotta-go-fast pistol build instead:

https://i.imgur.com/aOs2Kgz.mp4
Must admit it was hella effective though! But also I guess I gotta do another run where I can actually make use of her new mechanics lol

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Exodee posted:

Was reminded that I had this game because of the roguelike thread (thanks Evil Kit), so I thought hey why not try out the red panda with her robot buddy. The game then proceeds to not give me any robot-based ascensions so I just ended up with a gotta-go-fast pistol build instead:

https://i.imgur.com/aOs2Kgz.mp4
Must admit it was hella effective though! But also I guess I gotta do another run where I can actually make use of her new mechanics lol

Anytime, Gunfire is great. :tipshat:

I just did a run of P&C tonight and was trying to do a rocket build. I got half of the build going, but the other half didn't quite sort itself out so it was a little hit and miss. I could fire all my rockets but didn't have enough regen or stockpile to really make it worth it, even though I got all the damage ascensions for the rockets.

That said the little bit of ascensions I got for the chicken mech? I can see why it's the most busted part of her kit, how ridiculous.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I played through runs with each of the new characters this evening.

Owl is cool. I don't get his card system at all, but just mashing the secondary skill when I run out of cards, and the primary skill when I feel like it, he was still pretty good.

Red Panda is broken. I never really got a decent weapon build going, but the mech basically wrecked everything with only a few points put into its ascensions. You can have him do your work for you, and sit back and launch a neverending stream of high-damage missiles if he runs into an elite.

These were both on Expert, I'll push it higher once I remember how to play again.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I watched that gdq speed run and yeah I'm trash at this game. Good drat that was insane

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I just bought this game. I unlocked the dog and have died to the desert boss a couple times now. Are there more zones after that? It says "final stage" or something like that but a lot of the translation seems iffy. Having fun so far :)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

thalweg posted:

I just bought this game. I unlocked the dog and have died to the desert boss a couple times now. Are there more zones after that? It says "final stage" or something like that but a lot of the translation seems iffy. Having fun so far :)

There are four areas, i call them: tomb, desert, fjord and snow.
I guess the game was saying you were in the final stage of the desert area.

---

I was trying to beat Reincarnation 4 solo, but drat things are tanky at this difficulty. A 41 level weapon wasn't cutting it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

thalweg posted:

To expand on what Turin said, there are 3 zones that you are required to beat for a win: Tomb, Desert and the Fjord. Once you beat the boss of the Fjord you can choose to head back to the inn and claim a win or keep going to a fourth area, a snowy mountain, that's basically an additional challenge area.

If you keep struggling against Icky in the desert feel free to ask for advice! The most basic tip I'll give is to stick closer to Icky when it's head is out of the ground for the breath attacks. It's easier to stay ahead of it's turning speed the closer you are.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

Why are there 103 shots in the magazine, I don't have anything that should be able to cause that-

There's a spiritual link that gives +100 magazine capacity to rocket launchers, and it's easy to get without trying. You can get a similar (or better) effect with the gemini that combines magazine capacity.

Fun fact: if you're in co-op and have this setup, your shots will eventually stop being visible to the other player, though they'll still see enemies spontaneously die.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I don't understand the red panda's shoulder missiles. The first run I did with her, I was able to hold down the secondary button and launch a stream of missiles. On my run just now, I never got this option despite taking multiple levels in the ascension that seems to do this. It only ever fired one missile.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't understand the red panda's shoulder missiles. The first run I did with her, I was able to hold down the secondary button and launch a stream of missiles. On my run just now, I never got this option despite taking multiple levels in the ascension that seems to do this. It only ever fired one missile.
IIRC the ascension for this only has one level, so you probably didn't get the right one. Did you maybe confuse it with the one that's for birbbot's missile barrage?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Exodee posted:

IIRC the ascension for this only has one level, so you probably didn't get the right one. Did you maybe confuse it with the one that's for birbbot's missile barrage?

Probably.

I love this game but the descriptions of most of the abilities are hot garbage.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Probably.

Yea they really ought to do a second pass on pretty much all the English text, item descriptions are often vague as well.

... although in this case it's quite explicit about it, so you probably didn't even see the ascension in the first place:

quote:

Hold the Secondary Skill button to rapidly fire the Secondary Skill. There is a 50% chance to consume no uses.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
There's another ascension that says something like "can fire 4/8/12 missiles", so I took that and still don't understand what it did.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

There's another ascension that says something like "can fire 4/8/12 missiles", so I took that and still don't understand what it did.

If you press your "cancel aiming" key without aiming anything, birdbot will transform from melee form to a turret. That ascension lets it use a secondary attack in that form that deletes poo poo.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Lprsti99 posted:

If you press your "cancel aiming" key without aiming anything, birdbot will transform from melee form to a turret. That ascension lets it use a secondary attack in that form that deletes poo poo.

As a bonus theres some ridiculous synergy where misssiles fired by the bot's cooldown goes down for every misssile Nona fires, who gets free missiles for bot missiles fired, and youre just hyping eachother up.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Noper Q posted:

There's a spiritual link that gives +100 magazine capacity to rocket launchers, and it's easy to get without trying. You can get a similar (or better) effect with the gemini that combines magazine capacity.

Fun fact: if you're in co-op and have this setup, your shots will eventually stop being visible to the other player, though they'll still see enemies spontaneously die.

That might have been it, totally forgot about Spiritual Links. I did drop at least on scroll when I finally lost it. Honestly it was funny but a little underwhelming.

WhiteHowler posted:

Probably.

There are absolutely some descriptions that are vague or don't make sense but imo the two you conflated are pretty explicit that one is for Ironwing (the mech) and the other your secondary ability (Hardwood Missiles). A bunch of stuff in the new dlc does need a couple of passes for sure though, especially all of Yugi-Owl.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 3, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BTW, with all the attention attracted to the new dlc characters, we haven't commented how the Bird got reworked:

quote:

Talent:
After a Leap, +75% weapon and Skill DMG for 6s. Each enemy hit by a shot during this period restores 1 point of Armor (up to 6→12 HP/s).

Ascension:
·[Gigantic Explosion]
Old: -20/40/60% Leap cooldown, and +2/4/6m AoE. +20% Leap DMG for every enemy within the range of Leap.
New: +2/4/6m displacement range and AoE of Leap. +20% Leap DMG for each enemy within the range of Leap.
·[Iron Scud]
Old: When you use Leap, gain +30/60/100 max Armor and +10/20/30% movement speed for 7s, and if you are injured during this period, there is a 25% chance to become invulnerable for 0.5s.
New: -20/40/60% Cooldown and have a 30% chance to reset Cooldown. After using Leap, +30/60/100 max Shield for 7s.
·[All or Nothing](remove)
Effect:When hitting an enemy with Leap, consume all of your armor to increase the Leap DMG by 1.2% per consumed Armor point.
·[Unstoppable Momentum](new-added)
Effect:+5% total Leap DMG for 1m displacement of Leap.
·[Fully Equipped]
Old: After a Leap, +75/100/150% weapon DMG and skill DMG for 2/2/3s. During this period, regain 20/30/50% armor and -1/1.5/2s Leap's remaining cooldown for each enemy you kill.
New: After a Leap, +75/100/150% weapon and Skill DMG for 6/6/10s. Each enemy hit by a shot during this period restores 1/2/3 point of Armor (up to 12/18/24 HP/s) .
·[Last Stand]
With [Flesh and Bones], the effect of [Last stand] can be permanent.
·[Victory Rush]
Old: +50/100/150% weapon DMG in the next 5/5/10s when the number of hits caused by a single shot/slash is greater than or equal to 4/3/2.
New: The more hits a single shot causes, the greater the increase in Weapon DMG.
Level 1: +20%/40%/60% Weapon DMG for 5s when the number of hits caused by a single shot is greater than or equal to 1/4/8.
Level 2: +40%/80%/120% Weapon DMG for 5s when the number of hits caused by a single shot is greater than or equal to 1/3/6.
Level 3: +60%/120%/180% Weapon DMG for 10s when the number of hits caused by a single shot is greater than or equal to 1/2/4.
·[Death Mark]
Old: Enemies hit by Cleave receive a death mark for 4s. Marked enemies take +20/40/60% DMG from you (also applies to the initial Cleave). Killing a marked enemy grants you +20/25/30% Movement Speed for 6/6/10s.
New: +20/40/60% DMG on the enemy for the current and next 4 hits with Cleave. +300/400/500 Cleave base DMG for 6/6/10s upon defeating this enemy during this period.
·[Defensive Cleave]
Old: Regain 10/20/30% armor for each enemy hit with cleave; Regain 20/40/60% armor and -1/1.5/2s leap's remaining cooldown for each enemy kill with cleave.
New: Each hit with Cleave restores 10/20/30% Armor and -1/1.5/2s remaining cooldown of Leap.
·[Nova Shockwave]
Old: +10 max Armor for 9s for each enemy killed. When your armor breaks, release a Nova Shockwave that deals [max Armor * 50] DMG to surrounding enemies.
New: Gain 1 stack of "Nova Shockwave" for hitting an enemy with a shot. Each stack +1 max Armor for 9s (Up to 100 stacks). When your Armor breaks, deal DMG to nearby enemies equal to 50 times the max Armor. When "Nova Shockwave" reaches the stacks of 100, using Cleave will consume all the stacks of Armor and Shield.

Spiritual Blessing:
·[Unstoppable Momentum] (Remove)
Effect: For each enemy hit by a Leap, +100% next Leap base DMG and gain a 5% chance to reset the cooldown (up to 10 stacks). Removes all stacks on a miss.
·[All or Nothing] (New-added)
Effect: Consume all of Armor when hitting an enemy with Leap. +4% Leap DMG for each point of consumed Armor. -1s remaining Cooldown of Leap for every 10 points of Armor consumed.
·[Double Tap]
Deal extra normal damage based on Base Weapon DMG once when dealing Weapon DMG to enemies.CD 0.5S→0.3.

Spiritual Link:
·[Army Breaker]
Old: +5 max stacks for Spiritual Blessing [Unstoppable Momentum].
New: All or Nothing +5% Leap DMG for each point of consumed Armor.

·[Heart Piercer]
- 0.2s → -0.1s cooldown for Spiritual Blessing [Double Tap].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm still not really sure how to feel about it, but Bird did always feel pretty drat broken if you got all the right pieces.

Well, I guess I should say broken in a "just mindlessly spam your nuke kick that also makes you unkillable" broken rather than regular Gunfire broken.

Edit: Giving it another read, it seems like they basically spread out the potency of kick across a few more ascensions (plus shunting All or Nothing to a Blessing) and tried to make armor management more active and his overall playstyle more about dancing between skill use and shooting. Seems reasonable.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 3, 2023