Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah the idea that any aspect of this game would be balanced around a possible mobile version makes me very unhappy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

If it's kept as an adaptation of the PC version instead of the other way around then I think it's fine - not something I'd put money into but it's a bigger demographic for the game to tap into and hopefully fund core development.

Also: still trying to learn dog quite right but even without much "gunzerking" having fun with him. Bird's been super effective in a friend's hands but I struggled, dog hits a nice compromise for me. Still bad at the game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think mobile gaming is even bigger in Asia than here, so I understand they have to try it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The update just dropped by the way, with a new hero, Lei Luo.

His grenade throws out chain lightning that bounces between targets, and his E gives him a buff to movement speed and skill damage. During the buff if you hit with a weapon, you end it immediately and deal an extra 200% damage on that strike.

One of his trees deals with his grenade, another buffs his E, and the last deals with increasing the damage he does on crit hits, with some sniper skills splashed in there.

Haven't actually played him yet, but he seems super interesting. It looks like you don't necessarily need to play him with a sniper, but he does benefit from slow, powerful, accurate weapons.

(Oh, also, he's a white tiger with thunderbolts for stripes.)

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 29, 2021

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Here's the update and all the glorious gifs, also a new melee weapon! Finally I can play ninja with Bird.

Sucks I won't be able to play this for a few days... ugh.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Goddamn the new boy is frail. I guess that's the price you pay for just having like 4 different stackable ways you can make your E in to an effortless room clear with goblets though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not only new class but two new weapons, several new areas for the levels, new elite and new alternative boss? Great!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

Goddamn the new boy is frail. I guess that's the price you pay for just having like 4 different stackable ways you can make your E in to an effortless room clear with goblets though.

He is the squishiest, but also he is faster than Bird. So if people thought "slow, steady sniper" maybe they weren't having the full picture. Maybe he can be played well too in a run & gun style.

A video of someone looking at him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCip3tonkUw&t=660s

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
He looks really neat. It's nice seeing more use out of sniper weapons like Bow because they're completely outperformed by the other weapons.

I hope he's viable for the Nightmare mode. Bird is practically a requirement due to how often he goes invulnerable with huge aoe.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
The new character slaps if you want to make numbers get big, I'm loving it at normal so far. Kicking the difficulty up a few notches might make the novelty wear thin with thing being more spongy, but I'm cackling with glee atm.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

One of his ascensions increases damage when you repeatedly hit someone with a sniper rifle. Not super good for most snipers, but you could absolutely run n gun with the Sting or Woodpecker.

And frankly, his damage is just plain ridiculous. Admittedly I was playing on normal and got some good scrolls, but I had the Goshawk and pretty much every enemy went down in one hit with it. Octopi took 2, and bosses took anywhere between 25%-75% damage from a hit. Even elites died in a single shot (or 2 at most).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have seen some ridiculous poo poo with him already, in special the ascension that makes him summon lightning bolts around while using his primary skill. poo poo was dying around him without him having to aim, fire, etc. I won't be surprised if he is toned down in a week.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Oh my gosh a sword I want it. The unlock is super easy too. Gonna have to try the update out soon after finishing up another game, pretty excited for that new boss as well.

Tbh once you've gotten enough metaprog unlocks Normal is the "I want to win and not really try" mode. Elite is baseline to me since any two of the following four things can get you a win: player skill, player knowledge, effective use of resources, RNG luck. Nightmare requires all four of those things AND an extra healthy dose of additional RNG luck because holy poo poo not getting the right weapon/scrolls legit loses you the run.

I would much rather Nightmare be a mode where enemies get a ton of new and nasty moves or scanter resources instead of Numbers Go Way Up but I get the former being much more difficult to design and balance compared to the latter. Regardless, game is very good and Elite is a fun and still challenging mode.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Arzaac posted:

One of his ascensions increases damage when you repeatedly hit someone with a sniper rifle. Not super good for most snipers, but you could absolutely run n gun with the Sting or Woodpecker.

And frankly, his damage is just plain ridiculous. Admittedly I was playing on normal and got some good scrolls, but I had the Goshawk and pretty much every enemy went down in one hit with it. Octopi took 2, and bosses took anywhere between 25%-75% damage from a hit. Even elites died in a single shot (or 2 at most).

I haven't been home to play since the update, what's the math on that damage stack? I can't see this not getting a major balance pass.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Just booted up to play one run to unlock Tiger's hero talents and uuhhh

you're a loving lightning wizard, not a sniper. :science:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

Just booted up to play one run to unlock Tiger's hero talents and uuhhh

you're a loving lightning wizard, not a sniper. :science:

He has like 2 sniper related ascensions and a dozen for 'lightning wizard', heh.

Bugfixes in update some minutes ago

quote:

01/29 BUG Fixes Announcement
Fixed the issue that in co-op mode, when Wind God turns into tornado and chases after players, if a player who isn't being chased is knocked down, Wind God may be invincible forever
Fixed the issue that Elite Kappa may be stuck in the midair
Fixed the issue when Lei Luo has both "Magical Supply" and "Thunder Turbo" ascensions, killing monsters with "Thunderstrike" won't stack layers for "Thunder Turbo"
Fixed the issue that if elite monster/boss is killed by Lei Luo's talent "Sniper", dropped sniper rifle can be picked up by any players
Fixed the issue that monsters will go to other area in Longling Tomb-Stage 4
Fixed the issue that players may not be able to complete Duo Fjord
Fixed the issue that there are some portals, peddlers and golden treasure chests in the area which players can't access in Duo Fjord-Stage 3
Fixed the issue that players can't interact with some portals of the vault in Duo Fjord-Stage 1
Fixed the issue that elite monsters are spawned out of the map in Duo Fjord-Stage 2

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

I haven't been home to play since the update, what's the math on that damage stack? I can't see this not getting a major balance pass.

For each consecutive hit on a target with a sniper rifle, you get +(15%/25%/50%) up to a max of (60%/100%/150%).

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Arzaac posted:

For each consecutive hit on a target with a sniper rifle, you get +(15%/25%/50%) up to a max of (60%/100%/150%).

Wow, yeah, that's gonna add up fast. Resets on a miss or switching targets though, it sounds like, so hopefully not too absurd.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Turin Turambar posted:

He has like 2 sniper related ascensions and a dozen for 'lightning wizard', heh.

Bugfixes in update some minutes ago

Honestly it's how they design their characters. Like, Qing Yan doesn't outright have any ascensions that say "hey idiot use a shotgun" but when you pick up ascensions that increase damage at close range, cause the first few shots to deal bonus damage, and give you a damage bonus when you hit more than once with a single shot...then shotguns start to look mighty appealing.

Lei Luo is the same way. He's got exactly one ascension that requires a sniper rifle, but he's got one that grants a bonus to damage at a distance, as well as a couple different ones that work well off of crit. Plus, his fatal current gives you exactly one Thunderstrike, which scales off of weapon base damage. Basically all his ascensions that affect guns work the best if you're using a slow, accurate gun with high base damage and crit damage.

But again, because the game is real stingy with things that outright say "use X weapon", there's absolutely nothing stopping you from focusing on chain lightning and using an SMG. Or say, doing a Thunderstrike build but delivering the blow with a Tiger Cannon.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Evil Kit posted:

Oh my gosh a sword I want it. The unlock is super easy too. Gonna have to try the update out soon after finishing up another game, pretty excited for that new boss as well.

Tbh once you've gotten enough metaprog unlocks Normal is the "I want to win and not really try" mode. Elite is baseline to me since any two of the following four things can get you a win: player skill, player knowledge, effective use of resources, RNG luck. Nightmare requires all four of those things AND an extra healthy dose of additional RNG luck because holy poo poo not getting the right weapon/scrolls legit loses you the run.

I would much rather Nightmare be a mode where enemies get a ton of new and nasty moves or scanter resources instead of Numbers Go Way Up but I get the former being much more difficult to design and balance compared to the latter. Regardless, game is very good and Elite is a fun and still challenging mode.

Man, I guess I really AM bad at first-person shooters. I'm like, three dozen runs in, level 53, and I've only won once. I'm pretty good at most games! Just... not this kind.

It does mean I feel every small increase to character power, though, so that's neat!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

John Lee posted:

Man, I guess I really AM bad at first-person shooters. I'm like, three dozen runs in, level 53, and I've only won once. I'm pretty good at most games! Just... not this kind.

It does mean I feel every small increase to character power, though, so that's neat!

While I'm not an amazing Gamer God when it comes to FPS once you have the knowledge (namely what weapon inscriptions to look for on each weapon, what occult scrolls are good and which ones synergize to become busted, what makes a good ascension build etc) is when Normal becomes a walk in the park after a certain metaprog. Having the Peddlers upgrades (random thing is free every shop, discounts, larger inventory and ability to reroll shop once each peddler) and the Money upgrades (+% gold earned, motherfucking +gold on Crit hits) and you can start exploiting Peddlers fully is when you can start snapping the game over your knee pretty easily in Normal.

The other general advice I give is ABDJ: Always Be Dashing (and) Jumping. The amount of bullets you'll dodge just cause you're hopping and dashing around like an insane person that the AI has trouble tracking added significantly to my survival and winrate.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I still have a bit of trouble on Normal but only in the Fjord. Most of the game is easy enough but the Fjord just has so many enemies that can CC you into oblivion (Catfish Man, White Shark, Octopus) combined with a bunch of enemies that can kill you very, very easily.

Granted my metaprogression isn't the furthest along, I'm definitely missing a lot of shop upgrades. +Coin on crit is amazing though.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Evil Kit posted:

While I'm not an amazing Gamer God when it comes to FPS once you have the knowledge (namely what weapon inscriptions to look for on each weapon, what occult scrolls are good and which ones synergize to become busted, what makes a good ascension build etc) is when Normal becomes a walk in the park after a certain metaprog. Having the Peddlers upgrades (random thing is free every shop, discounts, larger inventory and ability to reroll shop once each peddler) and the Money upgrades (+% gold earned, motherfucking +gold on Crit hits) and you can start exploiting Peddlers fully is when you can start snapping the game over your knee pretty easily in Normal.

The other general advice I give is ABDJ: Always Be Dashing (and) Jumping. The amount of bullets you'll dodge just cause you're hopping and dashing around like an insane person that the AI has trouble tracking added significantly to my survival and winrate.

I have a certain kind of fine-motor problem, so it's the aiming-at-enemies part I have an issue with, but I appreciate the advice nonetheless!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

John Lee posted:

I have a certain kind of fine-motor problem, so it's the aiming-at-enemies part I have an issue with, but I appreciate the advice nonetheless!

You've got company in me. It'll get easier with more time in the game, but I definitely feel the accuracy issue.
I mostly play as a coop duo now though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Fulminous Zap III + Thunder Nemesis III is the funniest poo poo in this game, funnier even than +6m bone dragon on Ao Bai
Just aiming my bow at people and watching a random lightning strike kill them before the arrow reaches their head, 30 times a battle.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

Fulminous Zap III + Thunder Nemesis III is the funniest poo poo in this game, funnier even than +6m bone dragon on Ao Bai
Just aiming my bow at people and watching a random lightning strike kill them before the arrow reaches their head, 30 times a battle.

It reminds me of Risk of Rain 2!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

good update. new character seems really powerful and benefits from weapons that are ignored by the other characters a bit, new boss seems cool and quite different from the dinosaur although I didn't see a lot of him as I sort of facetanked his damage aura to unload a bottomless wild hunt into his head for 50% of his health and then spent the rest of the time letting my teammate kill him as he flew out of shotgun range

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I was able to squeeze a real quick game in! Aaaand I'm not sure how I feel on the new character yet...

The RNG literally didn't give me anything other then level 1 perks all game and so I was spread pretty thin in a bunch of different areas, so I have no thoughts on how to build him correctly or whats OP, I still hate sniper weapons though after giving it a solid try, hanging back and standing still is just not how I like to play, and with how so many enemies have homing projectiles I always end up taking unnecessary damage because of it, and this won't change as I play solo 99% of the time (snipers are probably a much better option in group play when a "distractor" (teammate) is running around).

New hero is also REALLY squishy too like OMG, White Shark hooked and OTK'ed me twice (first time costed me 4k copper! and luckily I had the other lifesaver scroll too as a backup-backup.)

New boss seems hella weak and probably could use a buff, but then again I guess he's a very mobile boss too and this might make him too hard for players that have problems with "tracking". So hard to say where to draw the line with balance, but call me old fashioned, players should die once or twice to learn a new Bosses pattern and not get it "done in one" kind of thing.

I've seen some crazy videos and pictures oft him though, doing like 2 gazillion damage so he's probably a little over tuned. :/

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

If you're not a fan of hanging back and standing still, seriously use one of the bows on him. They still do high single target damage but because they don't have a scope you can really just use them like a normal weapon.

Or alternatively, say gently caress it and use a chain lightning build and play with whatever weapon you want. You could also use a launcher to capitalize on thunderstrike if that's more your style.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

John Lee posted:

I am also not good at fine motor stuff and commonly miss the broadside of a barn. There's a reason Slappy (also known as Justice in game) is my favorite weapon. You don't have to hit anything directly when you can just explode everything.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have to praise the game for the metaprogression, it really doesn't feel like a grind at all (of course, it helps when the game is so fun); it's very well paced. In the 16 hours, I always obtained 1-2 upgrades (and a pair of times 3) after each run, and in most runs I got something unlocked too, be a new weapon, a new scroll or a new character. There were a few runs where I didn't unlock anything, but in others I got 3-4 items.
Of course that progression will end at some point, but it's a good way to attract new players with constant feeling of progression while also are really learning the game and improving their skills, and by adding weapons and scrolls to the pool progressively they also can try them out bit by bit.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 31, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Legit one of my favorite things Gunfire does is immediately drop the unlocked weapon/scroll for you to try out. I'd love if more games the same genre did that, a really great boost to your current run AND gives you a chance to try it out before you don't see it again for a while.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
The game is absolutely a meta-progression grind but it's tapered in a way that constantly drip feeds you new thing slowly and constantly, even for people who've been playing for a long time with everything unlocked, new updates bring new content, and it's relatively fast for those if not instant to unlock, because it looks at your history of past playing/statistics and does things retroactively. But if you started fresh today as a new player, you would have to level up to 55 (I think) for the sniper character, and that would suck.

In other news, Lei Luo has a passive that lets you choose a random talent at the beginning of a game and one of them is "+0.5% permanent weapon damage after crit. hit kill from more than 15m", it's becomes preeeetty good once you start getting it up.

Got mine up to 313 by the end...:

The downside is that this game took me like 2 hours, so I won't be try-harding this again. But still neat.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I like the player page, you can see your past runs and what items you had.

In my last run I was doing it pretty well as a sniper, I had the ascension that gives 100% damage to sniper shots on the same target, and thunderstrike with the 300% dmg ascension. In fact I found a scroll with a clear synergy for it, as it protected me with -90% damage for enemy shots from more than 15mts away, in exchange of receiving +90% damage for enemy shots. Also others like Penetration Bullet, Hawkeye Sight, and Rock Hard Determination (extra dmg if you are still).
This said, this kind of glass cannon build crumbled the moment a shark enemy with a hook caught me. Suddenly I was in close range and received the extra +90 % damage. :(

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Turin Turambar posted:

In fact I found a scroll with a clear synergy for it, as it protected me with -90% damage for enemy shots from more than 15mts away, in exchange of receiving +90% damage for enemy shots.

This is definitely one of those "trap" scrolls you should avoid, like always, I find that range attacks aren't that lethal and easier to avoid compared to up-close hits, and getting hit up-close is like 90% either because you want to be up close (like a shotgun to the face) or getting blindsided from something you didn't see coming, which can happen at all times, you basically gave the game the ability to one shot you at all times now, even from weak stuff that likes to rush/swam you.

There's a legendary scroll with a cat on it (Spirit Feline) which is amazing though, always take this one, it pretty much prevents all one shots (just watch out for constant damage stuff like standing in AOE fire/spikes, and Monks doing that teleport behind you thing, etc.), and don't take it if you're doing something weird like 1 HP or zero Armor that run obviously.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Deflection Shield is great in multiplayer since you can just get revived the 1 or 2 times you die to like a rogue villain shotgunning your head off or getting hooked by a shark. A bit risky on Nightmare mode since you need to be able to clear the rooms fast.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Im_Special posted:

This is definitely one of those "trap" scrolls you should avoid, like always,

I totally knew that picking it up could be the cause of my death, but I thought, 'hell, if I should try to do a build around that, it should be in THIS build, that already was focusing on fighting from afar'.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's happened to us all at least once, heck I still don't know how all the scrolls and skills interact with each other, or what's better if taking something is worth not (like Merciless Strike: +50% Lucky Shot Chance on Crit Hit, -50% Lucky Shot Chance on Normal Hit. - To take, or leave? I dunno, maybe), sometimes you just have to test it out and see, luckily you can drop scrolls at any time if you don't like them (with the exception of Cursed ones).

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 2, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Does anyone know how the orange inscription works? I don't see any mark when I aim someone with the scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game is pretty neat but man oh man do I hate the metaprogression in this one. It's so loving slow too with layers of grind.

I wish there was an option to just unlock the full game so I can skip the grind and play it properly from the start.