Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The game is really good but I'm super mad that the throwing knives aren't hold-to-fire. I love using them but playing a couple runs with them fucks up my hand really quick with all the spam clicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SaffronKit posted:

Alright after some testing I think Birb might just be immune to trap and enironmental damage while jumping and not enemy fire. Needs more actual experiments I will do at some point. Still very powerful and ensures Birb trivializes all parkour and trap vaults even further.

That should I would love to talk about bird!

1. Always Be Leaping. Sounds like extremely basic advice but it's pretty much the most important part of playing him. Even leaping on just one enemy will give you armor back which is what keeps you alive and going! Pro tip: Using Leap to destroy an object gives you armor. Out of enemies and need to top off? Find a pot or box and Leap on it. You're welcome.

2. Always Be Cleaving. Cleave is an easy and fast way to finish off enemies while you're reloading as it doesn't interrupt the animation, nor does it stop you from continuing to fire your gun (I still struggle with the latter). I love Cleave builds. I think they're stronger and more fun and Leap builds, especially if you get the Easy Kill ascension super early. Defensive Cleave is also hands down the best ascension for Qing Yan in the game, another way to get more armor is hella important for staying alive.

I'll get into more specific builds late but suffice to say Qing Yan is my favorite hero cause he is the MOST in get stuck in with enemies that can also get away with it.

Honestly, after winning a bunch with Bird Akuma on Elite, I find Cleave to be mediocre to bad as a focus. The problem mostly lies in scarcity - even with massive focus on cleave, in the two later areas you're going to need to cleave multiple times to wipe out a lot of enemies(this gets more problematic on multiplayer), and if drops don't favor you you will run out of cleaves - and then you're kind of in a pickle, because your ascensions are doing nothing. I recently had a 3 player multiplayer win where I got Easy Kill as my first ascension and focused on farming the bejesus out of it for the entire run(ended up at like +800 cleave damage from Easy Kill) and put every single ascension except 3 into cleave(the remainder were in hail of bullets and within reach, the latter of which buffs cleave anyway), and I still spent most of the Fjord unable to really cleave due to running out constantly. Unless RNG gives you the "get +3 cleaves when you kill someone with cleave", it's not sustainable, and I've only ever managed to get that ascension one time across all of my games.

My take on the most powerful birdo ascensions are anything that makes Leap generate more armor(Regen Hit is extremely strong)/reduces Leap's cooldown, Hail of Bullets, and Within Reach. Within Reach is a ludicrously powerful damage bonus that requires nothing other than "be close to enemies" and Hail of Bullets makes weapons like Tiger Cannon, Bone Dragon, and Wild Hunt ludicrously broken doom cannons because they were never balanced around you firing half a dozen shots with a massive damage bonus every reload.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 27, 2020

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They could easily make cleave a really good build if they included more ways to regenerate it - the damage is fine for an instant cast aoe ability, even if it's not one shotting things, the problem is just running out. Maybe tacking on a "regenerate 1 cleave if you hit 4/3/2 opponents" to an existing mastery?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Xaris posted:

you can't dual-wield talismans, he has 4 legs god damnit, smdh dog bad now

after a solid half-dozen wins on normal+elite im gunna shelf the game for now and let it stew. it's really good and i think weapon/scroll variety is solid enough but they really need more minibosses, bosses, enemy variety, alternate levels/biomes.

That's about where I'm at. The game is absolutely fantastic, it just needs more levels/bosses and probably a level order randomizer.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Im_Special posted:

It's fine, it's just a bit of endgame grinding for arguably one of the most OP weapons in the game.

*snip*

They could also just make it not super pointlessly tedious and if the gun is too OP they could balance it better.