Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

After one run, I think it's something like this:

He starts with 4 "slots", the black boxes at the bottom middle of the screen. Various effects fill them with "astroaspects", and they determine the strength of his primary skill. Each astroaspect has a rarity, normal, rare, legendary, or cursed. If all your slots are filled with the same rarity, then you have an "astrohouse" of that rarity and his primary skill is stronger. Cursed rarity is wild. If rarities are mixed, then you have an "impure astrohouse" and the skill is not stronger.

If you look at the occult scroll screen while playing him, you can see the odds of each rarity being drawn whenever you fill a slot randomly. The odds are based on the rarity of the scrolls you own. There are also buttons that let you choose to slightly weight the odds in a way I don't fully understand.

When using his secondary skill, a slot is filled randomly (and also it makes homing cards that attack enemies). Upon using his primary skill, all empty slots are filled randomly before it fires. Various ascensions interact with the slots, e.g. give you non-random slot fills, or automatically reroll slots when you get an impure astrohouse.

Also on the occult scroll screen, you can reroll scrolls once his first talent is obtained. You get rerolls whenever getting ascensions (i.e. golden goblets). Rerolls always result in a scroll of equal or greater rarity. I often got higher rarity, so rerolling seems like it could be ridiculously strong. I never saw the option to upgrade that the talent mentions, maybe that was bugged?

The colored meter near the bottom of the screen seems like it's somehow indicating the odds of getting an astrohouse if you cast your primary skill, but it might not take ascensions into account.

I might be misinterpreting some things but hopefully this is enough to make some sense of the big text boxes on his ascensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

I'm now thinking that the "upgrades" the talent mentions actually interact with the weighting options on the occult scroll screen. Like one upgrade lets you treat a normal scroll as a rare scroll or a rare one as a legendary for the purpose of weighting rarities. The buttons let you decide how to assign the upgrades as a batch, so you don't have to micromanage which scrolls get upgraded.

It is way more moving pieces than it ever needed to be, and definitely not worth worrying about in combat. Just press E.