Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It also works with Deft Hands, less useful against bosses but clears out mobs like it was nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Crown Prince may not be the most exciting character but he can make himself omnielemental with the third level of his Corrosion ascension and the right elemental share Gemini loadout. Beyond that beating pole bear is really just a matter of picking up the right stuff up as you went along, which really any character can do.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I suppose the metaprogression does make a pretty big difference to one's capabilities, especially wrt making the most out of shops and drops. The other talents improve your baseline stats by a bit but the real kicker is being able to sell every gun you don't need and grab as many scrolls from the peddler as you reasonably can.

If you're not yet at the level where you can start consistently nudging the rng's dice in your favor I imagine solo runs very much feel more like a matter of luck than anything else.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

okay that crown prince sp.link is pretty sick

John Murdoch posted:

Oh, and of course no ability to etch yet means I can't freely slap a gemini on early stuff I like.

A thing of beauty, left to rot. :qq:

I realize I probably should've kept it anyway.

ah. Yeah not having the ability to etch yet means a large part of your ability to put together a full build is still gated off. Once you get that you'll find it a lot easier to down pole monarch as solo prince.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, horde mode without regular intervals to rest and account for your inventory or resources starts to feel very overwhelming very quickly. My friends and I did a couple of runs and we haven't managed to beat it yet.

The new way perks work is kinda neat but you feel a lot less capable than in regular runs and it doesn't really feel like what I enjoy out of the game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's very strong and the rhythm function is pretty generous.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

One final huge secret is the scroll Wait for Good. "Once every 10 seconds your next shot crits" sounds pretty mediocre, except injectors are special and your 'next shot' is actually the entire uninterrupted duration you hold the trigger down.

:kstare:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Even with the horde mode nerfs, my friends and I haven't been able to make any headway into the third round. Enemy HP scales up too quickly and we just don't know where to get the damage output we need to put a dent in the mass, especially when there's a handful of Elites getting tossed at us.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah miasma is how I've been doing the vast majority of my damage, radioactive gloves seem custom-built specifically to be used as a crutch to deal with how overtuned the horde mode feels.

I've been running bunny rather than cat and also been rolling with the infectious fatal bloom which, thankfully, seems to be a common reward.

But it also feels like Miasma is required because your own damage output doesn't scale up nearly as quickly as the horde's HP numbers. I was dealing four times as much damage as my team combined just on the back of using Miasma. It feels weird that there's exactly one way to deal enough damage to put a dent in the horde and it relies on you getting the correct elemental weapons or ascensions to drop.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Finally, Gaige

Except I don't have to play a twenty hour campaign to get my build going

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm very excited for the new addition to the arsenal,

brick

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

They do mention more characters, weapons, powers, etc as a general ongoing thing as well---basically I fully expect them and Roboquest to be merrily jousting throughout 2024 in a big way unless one or more interlopers also arrive at v1.0+ to play on their level.

I'll be perfectly honest my perfect pick-up-and-play shooter game would somehow combine both of them

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Proven posted:

I don’t want Roboquest in Gunfire or vice versa. I just wish there was a game that melded the two. Not sure where the balance would be, but sometimes Gunfire is a little too slow and too scroll dependent, and Roboquest is too fast and too gun dependent.

Yeah, Roboquest lacks air dashing, Gunfire lacks sprinting. Roboquest has more varied runs with more content and an actual story, Gunfire has a wider variety of characters and powers (it's funny but telling when you see, essentially, dupes in the "unique" perklists of both Ranger and Recon in Robo). Roboquest has a home base hub you can mess around in and a healthier sense of balance due to more restrained metaprog, tougher enemies, and a clearly defined exp curve per run that doles out upgrades at a fairly strict pace. Gunfire gives you the ability to really just cut loose and snowball with scrolls and your build can come together in the desert in Act 2 and not, say, near the very end of a Robo run when you're just about done with Haven City.

If there was a game that had the variety of content and fine tuning of difficulty curve of Roboquest but the variety of characters and abilities of Gunfire, and a gamefeel that sat somewhere between the two, it would be my ideal roguelite shooter.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 13, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

That's more to do with early access growing pains. Ranger didn't originally exist and Recon was the only stealth class. IIRC, they basically reworked Recon and then took the leftovers and turned them into Ranger. I think Ranger's active ability was straight up originally Recon's.

Yeah this explains a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah Gunfire could use more environments, enough that you could choose multiple paths in a run. This would be a lot more work than what most of their dlcs and patches have been adding but it's the game's main shortcoming. The alternate game modes feel like a stopgap measure more than anything.