Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

WhiteHowler posted:

While I'd love to have a talent or option to skip the Temple (or randomize the level order, scaling enemies to match), the guns and abilities feel good enough that the game is still fun, even when mowing down crossbowmen for the 50th time.

Absolutely agreed on this, I've played like 40 hours and have still enjoyed it (especially on Elite mode) but it does get a bit repetitive on normal - you start to see a lot of the same templates for various rooms after a certain point. I think randomizing the order at least would help, but mostly this seems like something just more content will solve (and I mean, a solid 40 hours in early access is pretty great).

I do feel like the stages on Elite mode feel more interesting, they add a lot of traps and whatnot that make the levels more engaging even after having done them a bunch of times.

I think one thing the game does really well is letting you get absurd builds - stacking elemental damage and then getting a late game synergistic weapon up to 10 just smashes through even elite mode. The inscriptions, particularly once you unlock the exclusive ones, can make the weapons feel v different as do the scrolls.

I don't know that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it does feel like the cursed scrolls aren't really much of a factor - most runs I get one or none, even when I choose a lot of the % chance of getting one. The variety also doesn't increase as the you unlock normal scrolls. Just less of a consideration than a pot of other equivalent things in other rogue lites.

All in all though this is definitely already my favorite fps roguelite, and the co-op is really well executed.

For people just starting up, learning the boss attack patterns makes them a lot easier, and they're generally not that tough to dodge once you know them. Initially though it can be kind of brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU