Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

the new Deafening Mortar(haven't tried this yet, want to),

My first successful Elite run with my friend was won on the back of a mediocre Mortar. All it really had was the shared clip gemini. But with an OK explosion dog build, I was wiping entire waves of enemies with the alt fire and taking off 10-20% of the final boss's health per shot with the main fire.

I think it's pretty good. Possibly my favorite gun so far, though I still have a long way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
It also got a new exclusive inscription that makes the grenades explode when an enemy is in range, so it could be good, or at least fun.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I'm guessing there's some background process doing the damage and health calculations that decided you were at 0 health for an instant during that dip right before your health refills, but that didn't get properly sent to the process that runs the UI.

That's pure speculation, of course, but I've seen a streamer die in the same way under similar circumstances.

I don't know what kind of bug submission process these devs have, but since you have a video, it couldn't hurt to pass it along.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Monkey can also use that ability to abuse the best weapon in the game: Deafening Mortar. Its exclusive inscription "Weapon skill consumes all magazine ammo and fires more mortar shells" counts as one shot. Combine that with a shares-clip gemini and an offhand weapon with a 100+ bullet clip and never stop exploding. If you're quick, it's possible to finish an entire stage by right-clicking once.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Did you know Bird's All or Nothing (sacrifice all your armor for extra damage when you kick) plus Enhanced Terminal Lucidity (reset cooldowns and get a free primary skill use when you lose 20% max HP, which counts armor) is a messed up combo? There are so many ways to restore armor, and I even had the Oppressor spiritual blessing. I also had Airbag, which has some fun synergies.. And Dual Edge, which I got early on and then completely forgot about until just now when I was looking at the log. I had like three layers of invincibility, so it never mattered.

This game is fun. At least, it is for me; my poor friend who was playing with me got to shoot like five enemies for the entirety of Jokul.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I think they're both fun. Firefox is pretty much all skill damage, so you have to enjoy shooting fireballs or dropping meteors on people (I enjoy both a lot). Monkey seems like a gun platform, but a very good one. Maybe you can build around his primary skill, but I haven't tried that yet.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I like RoR2 a lot, but I like this game better, especially for co-op. If you die in RoR2, you're just out of the action and falling behind until the next map. In GFR, you can revive fallen teammates, and it's only if you fail at that that someone has to sit and wait.

The other main thing that makes me like GFR more is that runs are very distinct. In RoR2, your choice of character is pretty much the only real choice you make, and from there it's mostly luck which items you get. And even then, the items don't make that much of a difference in playstyle. In GFR, each character has at least a couple different builds, and each weapon is very distinct too. So you can play the same character several runs in a row and have a different experience each time.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
You're not imagining it; Nightmare is a big step up. It's worth it to get through and start playing with the toys that Reincarnation give you, but sticking to Elite until you feel more comfortable with your own skills and the skill tree isn't a bad idea. As others said upthread, you can cash in your Nightmare win after the third boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

Why are there 103 shots in the magazine, I don't have anything that should be able to cause that-

There's a spiritual link that gives +100 magazine capacity to rocket launchers, and it's easy to get without trying. You can get a similar (or better) effect with the gemini that combines magazine capacity.

Fun fact: if you're in co-op and have this setup, your shots will eventually stop being visible to the other player, though they'll still see enemies spontaneously die.